NBA D-league: Will all teams have affiliate?

hettinger_rl

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it. I would love to see the NBA get rid of the age requirement go to a MLB style draft eligibility. You can leave after high school and play in the miors or you can go to college and committ to three years in the NCAA.

I would like to see all 30 teams have t heir own D-League team and names that are closely linked to the parent club. For example I love that the 76ers have a D-League team called the Delware 87ers. 87 as in year of the Constitution first ratified by Delware.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I like it. I would love to see the NBA get rid of the age requirement go to a MLB style draft eligibility. You can leave after high school and play in the miors or you can go to college and committ to three years in the NCAA.

I would like to see all 30 teams have t heir own D-League team and names that are closely linked to the parent club. For example I love that the 76ers have a D-League team called the Delware 87ers. 87 as in year of the Constitution first ratified by Delware.

Drop the er and call them the 87s. Sounds much better Imo

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Drop the er and call them the 87s. Sounds much better Imo
This. All damn day. The 87s is great. Kill the -ers please. That's a great idea as well NJTank. You want to leave early? Go develop and make a lil money in the D-League til you get called up, or go play 2-3 years in college and get drafted straight to the big league. Done. Everybody wins.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking the same thing. And it would be good for college basketball with no more one and dones.

I was thinking the same thing. And it would be good for college basketball with no more one and dones.
They would just go to JuCo for a year.

I really don't think Green Bay would be as good a place for the Baby Bucks (Fawns?) as everyone seems to think. The D-League should steer as clear from towns with D1 basketball as it can; and as it is, the GB Phoenix has trouble getting the Resch Center even a quarter of the way full before the end of Packers season.

The ideal place for a Bucks D-League affiliate is the Fox Valley. It's the fastest growing area of Wisconsin and it's just 90 minutes up the freeway from Milwaukee, but the biggest arena in the area is the Kolf Center at UW-Oshkosh. Would a D3 gym with bleachers be acceptable for the D-League, even if it does seat 5,800?

The only other place in Wisconsin I could see it working is La Crosse, which does have a stand alone arena similar to other D3 facilities. But La Crosse is much closer to Minneapolis than it is to Milwaukee, and Western Wisconsinites tend to be more loyal to the Minnesota teams than the Wisconsin ones, except for the Packers and Badgers.

EDIT: Just realized I said the same basic thing on the last page. Oh well, for the sake of something new here, I think a Bucks D-League affiliate should be called the Stags, or maybe the Skunks since that was apparently one of the names that was considered for the Bucks. Heck, if they do put a team in Oshkosh, I wouldn't mind the Fox Cities Foxes identity make a comeback, since the Timber Rattlers don't want to do the smart thing and bring it back.

5800 seats would be just right for a D-League team (There are only three teams with 10,000+ seat arenas in the D-League: Iowa, Fort Wayne and Tulsa/OKC). So, the Fox Valley region would be a good option for Milwaukee should they pursue a D-League team of their own.

La Crosse would be a nice option as well, but as you said, it might be better if it was a T-Wolves affiliate instead.

Why not Madison as an option? They could use the Badgers' home arena.

My concern is that the Kolf Center is really just a D3 gym... the seating's not enclosed, no luxury suites, and no seats that aren't bleachers. Although it did host a CBA franchise in the mid 1980s.

I can't see a D-League team in Madison as minor league sports tend to not do so well there. Especially not when they're sports that the Badgers also play, and the Badgers basketball program is as successful as its ever been.

My concern is that the Kolf Center is really just a D3 gym... the seating's not enclosed, no luxury suites, and no seats that aren't bleachers. Although it did host a CBA franchise in the mid 1980s.

I can't see a D-League team in Madison as minor league sports tend to not do so well there. Especially not when they're sports that the Badgers also play, and the Badgers basketball program is as successful as its ever been.

The Kohl Center didn't open until 1998...and it's a state-of-the art arena. (You're thinking of the old UW Fieldhouse).

But I agree...a Madison team would be KILLED by the Badgers attendance-wise...I still think that if an arena was built in the Kenosha-Racine area, it could do well hosting a team.

bYhYmxh.png

The Kohl Center didn't open until 1998...and it's a state-of-the art arena. (You're thinking of the old UW Fieldhouse).

But I agree...a Madison team would be KILLED by the Badgers attendance-wise...I still think that if an arena was built in the Kenosha-Racine area, it could do well hosting a team.

Nah, I definitely meant the KOLF Center... where UW-Oshkosh plays.

I agree on Racine-Kenosha too. I still have no idea why Kenosha in particular never built a smallish arena of its own... I know it's within a relatively short drive of Milwaukee and Chicago, but it's not really that close to either.

Archived