NBA D-league: Will all teams have affiliate?

hettinger_rl

why do you all think that Raleigh couldn't support the d-league team of the hornets? living here, I can tell you that basketball is HUGE around the area, and a team here could easily sell out Dorton Arena (7,610 capacity for basketball) regularly. Secondly, it would greatly improve following for the Hornets in the triangle, which is not very big at all. If they put their affiliate here and played a preseason game in pnc arena every year I could see their following in the area dramatically increase.

16ger2r.jpg

2nlz4b7.jpg

2mmcyh1.jpgS2006_zpsooeigvfb.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why do you all think that Raleigh couldn't support the d-league team of the hornets? living here, I can tell you that basketball is HUGE around the area, and a team here could easily sell out Dorton Arena (7,610 capacity for basketball) regularly. Secondly, it would greatly improve following for the Hornets in the triangle, which is not very big at all. If they put their affiliate here and played a preseason game in pnc arena every year I could see their following in the area dramatically increase.

Because D-League teams/minor league basketball historically do awful when they share a market with a strong D-1 program. Such as North Carolina State.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

do you have an example? i'm not sure that a d-league team has ever shared a market with a big time d-1 program

Austin, TX ring a bell? That team barely gets 3K a night.

And the LA Defenders play at the Lakers practice facility with a limited audience.

And it's wierd because the AHL draws WAY more than the Spurs do.

That's what- She

do you have an example? i'm not sure that a d-league team has ever shared a market with a big time d-1 program

Albuquerque, Austin, the original Southeast lineup.

It's not a good run.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Austin, TX ring a bell? That team barely gets 3K a night.

And the LA Defenders play at the Lakers practice facility with a limited audience.

And it's wierd because the AHL draws WAY more than the Spurs do.
They are drawing 40% more since they changed from the Toros to the Spurs too.

Last season, they weren't even getting 2,500 at the gate.

I don't see it happening... to use my Green Bay example, the last minor league basketball team to try and make a run up there ended up moving in mid-season to a high school gym 30 miles outside of town. And UWGB's basketball program has been largely irrelevant since the early 1990s.

There's a reason why the most cities that hosted successful CBA clubs (Allentown, PA; Anchorage, Alaska; Pensacola, Fla; etc.) didn't have anything more than a D2 program in town.

none of these examples are in known hotbeds for basketball tho, as the triangle is

Well, you've decided for us then.

A "hotbed" still doesn't equate to the area giving up on three ACC teams to fill 50% of a old, fairgrounds arena to see spare basketball.

You're using the same faulty logic that is used for putting pro football in Birmingham, AL.

people can't go to games of both a college team and a d-league team?

It's all grouped as disposable income, and the allegiance to college teams will easily trump a minor league team of the same sport. The minor league team will lose money yearly because they will have to "paper the building" aka giving away tickets. They will be also in a competition with sponsors and other non-sporting events, like movies, concerts and holiday purchases.

people can't go to games of both a college team and a d-league team?

If you have scarce financial resources you're going to pick the team you cheered for historically over the new team that doesn't even have a bunch of hometown heroes.

Today, we are all otaku.

Was thinking the Hampton Roads area of Virginia would be a good D-League site, but Old Dominion in Norfolk may have that area locked down. I know they're not MAJOR, but clearly the biggest show in town.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Was thinking the Hampton Roads area of Virginia would be a good D-League site, but Old Dominion in Norfolk may have that area locked down. I know they're not MAJOR, but clearly the biggest show in town.

I could see it working if the team played on the other side of the bay at the Hampton Coliseum.

I would love to see all teams get affiliations in the DLeague that are nearby the parent club like the Knicks in Westchester.

Heres how it would work

Toronto with an affiliate in Hamilton or Buffalo

Brooklyn's Affiliate could in Queens

NYK is perfect in Westchester

Boston is aok in Maine

Philadelphia 76ers and Delware 87ers best combo

Chicago Affiliate in Gary, Indiana

Indiana in Fort Wayne

Milwaukee in Madison

Cleveland in Canton is good

Detroit in Grand Rapids works

Washington in Baltimore

Atlanta in Savanah

Miami in West Palm Beach

Orlando in Jacksonville

Charlotte in Raleigh

Dallas in Frisco, TX is good

Houston in Hidalgo, TX is fine

San Antonio is in Austin, TX perfect

Memphis should be in Little Rock Arkansas

New Orleans would be good in Jackson, Miss

Minnesota would be good for in Cedar Rapids

OKC is ok with a team in OKC but Tulsa would be even better

Denver should put a team in Colorado Springs

Portland should have a team in Eugene

Utah is fine with Boise

Lakers are good in El Segundo

Clippers should go San Diego and stay classy

Kings in Reno works

Warriors are good with Santa Cruz

Phoenix I would like to see in Albaquerque

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

No way does the D-League work in Madison. Especially not while Bo Ryan is still running the show with the Badgers.

The best options for Milwaukee right now are La Crosse or Oshkosh, and neither is ideal. The former has a legit arena, but is closer to Minneapolis, the latter would force the team to play at a D3 gym.

Archived