NBA Project 32 - Timberwolves Update

SFGiants58

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A huge thank you for the C+C on the Diesels. I had no idea that it would go over as well as it did. Now for something I'm sure will not go over as well.

LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS

The Sterling era was not kind to the Clippers. Once he took over, the quirky-yet-cool powder blue/burnt orange color scheme and the ...abstract logo were tossed out in favor of a bland r/w/b color scheme and a Lakers logo clone. Of course, that era did give the team baseball-style wordmarks, but placed them against bland templates. Now that Sterling is gone, I felt it was time to balance both the powder blue/burnt orange vintage look with bits of the current look, to produce a look that the Clippers can own (the other team in this series with baseball-style scripts, the Nets, uses them differently enough to keep the Clippers unique).

The primary logo is an update of the original, but takes influences from two previous updates of the logo, one by Conrad and another by MBannon92. While I do like both of them, Conrad's still looked to abstract and MBannon92's had too much negative space in the logo. So, I took two basic details from their logos (Conrad's silver shadows and MBannon92's shrunken ship), and merged them. The triangular sails are now only on the very front of the bow (like they would be on a real clipper ship), and the bow of the ship has been re-proportioned to fit with the general area of the sails. The sun is now more distant in the logo, lessening the abstract feel. The "LAC" interlocking letters is replaced with a flag chain containing the maritime flags representing "L", "A", and "C" to spice up the maritime flag motif of the San Diego-era uniforms. The wordmark font is now more distinctive (looking far less like the Lakers' font), but it still doesn't appear on the uniforms. The court is a simple design, but has colored college lines to match the main striping element of the home uniforms.

13932726587_dcb02e5716_c.jpg

14167244020_7e698eac29_c.jpg

Uniforms

The baseball scripts and number font remain, as they are part of the Sterling-era looks that can stand on their own. However, the rest of the set receives noticeable modification. The paneling is based on this uniform's paneling, but with a modern twist: it curves up at the top and joins the striping on the cuffs and shifts into a sail pattern on the shorts (kinda what the current uniforms do, but more sail-like). The scripts do not receive the Northwestern stripe/C-flag treatment, as it affects legibility/looks messy. Roads use an orange base instead of powder blue, as an orange road uniform would be unique in this series and powder blue is more fitting for an alternate. The v-neck is now a proper v-neck, and the "LAC" flag logo is on the shorts.

13931691650_bdf61e3d0a_c.jpg

14095148086_47ec1c4070_c.jpg

Alternate

The alt is a powder blue version of the home uniform, which could be worn at both home and on the road (which is why is uses the "Clippers" wordmark instead of the "Los Angeles" wordmarks).

14115261182_274d69510a_c.jpg

What I think this accomplishes is spicing up the Clippers' look with elements from their past, while keeping what worked under Sterling. Up next, the Los Angeles Lakers!

I really like what you did with the Clippers there, especially the nautical flag secondary logo.

My only issue, however, is that I feel that the font you used for "Los Angeles Clippers" on the court looks pretty dull. I suggest using the cursive script wordmarks instead.

Other than that, well done as always!

EDIT: I just noticed that the court indeed does have too many circles. May I suggest just putting the nautical flags in there by themselves instead of the full secondary logo?

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

I really like it, but I have some critiques,

Primary Logo: I like the sails a lot, but I think the boat needs more substance. It looks like a plank of wood to me, not a huge clipper.

Alternate Logo: As a logo, I like it, but I can't get behind it on the court or jerseys. I think on the jerseys, just use the flags and on the court, I might try to do something where the poles are coming out of the baseline or sideline with flags hanging off them if you know what I mean as apposed to the full logo.

Home/Away Jerseys: I love it, but the collar looks off to me. Too traditional on a modern jersey. I think you have to choose between the side panelling and that and I'd, personally, go with the side panelling and get rid of the collar. The flag thing as I mentioned earlier is a bit of a problem too.

Alternate Jersey: Really nice, but I wish it had a different wordmark or something to separate it a little from the home and away.

Either way, great series so far and the Clippers, imo, are really close to perfect.

I like it, but I would simplify the collars/sleeve trim on the jerseys.

I agree, I think the thing that bothers me with a lot of your concepts are the detailed collar/sleeve design. But that's just a matter of personal taste.

Overall I like the Clippers' redesign, it would certainly be a unique look in the league. I like the idea of the secondary logo (I've thought about trying out a similar one myself) but I feel like it's too... literal, for lack of a better word. There's too much empty space in the circle because the flags don't fill the shape very well. I think you could find another way to fit the nautical flags into an alternate logo without them being literally flags.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I really like it, but I have some critiques,

Primary Logo: I like the sails a lot, but I think the boat needs more substance. It looks like a plank of wood to me, not a huge clipper.

Alternate Logo: As a logo, I like it, but I can't get behind it on the court or jerseys. I think on the jerseys, just use the flags and on the court, I might try to do something where the poles are coming out of the baseline or sideline with flags hanging off them if you know what I mean as apposed to the full logo.

Home/Away Jerseys: I love it, but the collar looks off to me. Too traditional on a modern jersey. I think you have to choose between the side panelling and that and I'd, personally, go with the side panelling and get rid of the collar. The flag thing as I mentioned earlier is a bit of a problem too.

Alternate Jersey: Really nice, but I wish it had a different wordmark or something to separate it a little from the home and away.

Either way, great series so far and the Clippers, imo, are really close to perfect.

Well, the primary was supposed to invoke the utmost part of the bow, but I really should've added details to it to make it look less plank-like. The secondary is getting a complete revamp in the update, and the primary will get a tweak. The collars/cuffs will be simplified too, and the flags just on their own in the shorts paneling (like they are now, and small enough not to interfere with the panel design).

I agree, I think the thing that bothers me with a lot of your concepts are the detailed collar/sleeve design. But that's just a matter of personal taste.

Overall I like the Clippers' redesign, it would certainly be a unique look in the league. I like the idea of the secondary logo (I've thought about trying out a similar one myself) but I feel like it's too... literal, for lack of a better word. There's too much empty space in the circle because the flags don't fill the shape very well. I think you could find another way to fit the nautical flags into an alternate logo without them being literally flags.

The collar/sleeve design stuff is personal preference (sort of like the sock stripes in my MLB series), but I really feel like I should simplify it for the Clippers (I think it looks muddy from a distance, and I'm thinking of replacing it with a two stripe design, in the style of the wordmarks). Also, I've thought of an idea for a new secondary that incorporates the flags. Namely, it's a ship's wheel with the "L" and "A" flags behind the top half of the wheel, and the "C" flag behind the bottom half of the wheel. How does that sound?

I totally agree with these statements. The issues with your series is not your design/artistic ability (it's decent and miles better than some of the stuff some members of this board post on a daily basis), but the elements your use specifically your jersey design and collar choices clashing. A lot of old school collars with modern jerseys. IMO, it's not visually pleasing. So far this series gets a 7 out of 10 for me; great work but definitely room for improvement.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I totally agree with these statements. The issues with your series is not your design/artistic ability (it's decent and miles better than some of the stuff some members of this board post on a daily basis), but the elements your use specifically your jersey design and collar choices clashing. A lot of old school collars with modern jerseys. IMO, it's not visually pleasing. So far this series gets a 7 out of 10 for me; great work but definitely room for improvement.

Yeah, a lot of my designs really try to do that balancing act between retro and neo, often making them clash. I'll admit, I dislike most modern collars, but I feel that my designs aren't modern enough to warrant things like Nike wishbones, tapered v-necks, collars that are partially cut off, and anything else that isn't simple/effective (think of me as the oldschoolvikings of basketball, albeit a little more confused and less conservative in some design principles). But you are right. The collars/cuffs on several of the sets (Diesels, Clippers, and Pacers) can really muddle up the look. It's a personal preference, and I understand that sometimes, it just doesn't work for some teams (I really don't want to come off as a stubborn ass who doesn't listen to C+C by saying these things). Luckily, the next few teams (Lakers, Memphis, and Miami) all have more cohesive looks and the teams I mentioned above will feature some minor collar/cuff simplification in their updates.

I really like what's going on with the Clippers. Seems like you're changing the secondary and collar/cuffs, which were two suggestions I had, so I'll move on. My only real issue is the font used for "Los Angeles" in the logo and the wordmarks on the court. I would go with a simple sans-serif--maybe try Gotham (One of my favorite typefaces!). Also, I thought It might be cool if you made the sail shape on all the shorts white to match the sails in the logo.

I really like what's going on with the Clippers. Seems like you're changing the secondary and collar/cuffs, which were two suggestions I had, so I'll move on. My only real issue is the font used for "Los Angeles" in the logo and the wordmarks on the court. I would go with a simple sans-serif--maybe try Gotham (One of my favorite typefaces!). Also, I thought It might be cool if you made the sail shape on all the shorts white to match the sails in the logo.

Thanks man. I followed up on your Gotham idea, and I think it really works with the identity (sort of an in-between of the late-70's and now). When planning this update, I wanted to balance both the desire to keep my old-school aesthetic while better incorporating the modern elements (as mentioned in a couple of posts above). So, here is the initial update!

LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS: UPDATE #1

The secondary has been ditched, and replaced with a logo based on a ship's wheel. The flags show up behind parts of the wheel, similar to a heraldic crest (often found on the stern of a clipper ship). I'd tried to get it to work several ways, and I think this might be the best version I created (working in the "A" flag was a pain in the ass, owing to its shape). Still, I don't think it's all that great, hence why the flags on their own on the uniforms. Once I feel it's better, I might consider putting it on the uniforms. The court simply swaps out the old primary and secondary for the updated logos, and switched the side/baseline fonts.

14376854961_8a9f070e0a_c.jpg

14380232765_357e7339da_c.jpg

Uniforms

The collars/cuffs have been simplified into a two-color design that still has some retro charm without muddling the modernity of the look or being too "edgy". The flags are now in the shorts panels on their own, and the sails have been reworked to be primarily white on all uniforms.

Home

14378752592_1c0a51df15_c.jpg

Road

14378752502_425368a6e0_c.jpg

Alternate

14357093256_6f147be870_c.jpg

Now, instead of using the actual logos, the uniforms use elements from the logos (scripts, nautical flags, and sails) to allude to them. I feel a lot happier about this version of the team than I did about the previous one. Once again, thank you guys for the C+C. I try to take it to heart and grow from it, and I think the quality of the series has improved because of it. Thanks. :D

Archived