NBA Project 32 - Timberwolves Update

SFGiants58

I like the number font, but I think the wordmarks look too aged. Maybe give them a bit of a modern update (less sharp edges, etc.) I could go without pinstripes in the side panels too, and adding a star on the shirts could look pretty nice too.

spacer.png

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the shorts, but I agree they could be even better if the stars made a return on the side panels. The wordmark and number font on the jerseys definitely seem to clash, and I would make the black stroke around 'Magic' on the home uniform a pixel or two thicker to match the stroke around 'Orlando' on the road and alternate uniforms. Overall, great start!

I like the idea of forging different eras of Magic uniforms into one concept. However, I think your actual concept wasn't executed well enough, although I like the pinstripes. Please keep them.

I agree with what others have said: add the star onto the shorts.

Your concept's wordmark and number should be changed to more closely resemble the Magic's current set. The wordmark and number in the original Magic uniforms weren't the best part of the uniform ... it was the pinstripes.

Thanks for the C+C guys. While I do like the classic wordmarks and wanted to feature them in some capacity, I really think they've aged poorly. I've done a few tests to update those wordmarks to fit better with the number font, and the result is a font replacement. I found that Bulldog Bold works well with Futura Condensed Bold. I retyped the wordmarks using that font, added in the old stars, and presto. It not only fits well with the number font, but also keeps the look modern with elements of the past.

14382941299_8a51e8ccb9_c.jpg

14566172131_27f802d5f9_c.jpg

Uniforms

As requested, I removed the panel pinstripes and added shorts stars. I can't believe I didn't think of it before, as I really like the way they look.

14589634633_0f19cc9312_c.jpg

14382918948_786259733f_c.jpg

Alternate

14382870980_897cc0fd56_c.jpg

In the next post, an alternate version of the update.

ORLANDO MAGIC - UPDATE ALTERNATE

Here is an alternate version of the update. This version uses the current wordmark fonts.

14569300595_191835a121_c.jpg

14567596734_102cc60c42_c.jpg

Uniforms

The numbers now match the color distribution of the wordmarks.

14565914551_223b068b64_c.jpg

14382844517_f9a444e1f2_c.jpg

Alternate

14382662618_4990b8a5e7_c.jpg

I prefer the first update, but I think it's nice to have the second one as an alternative proposal.

Up next, the Philadelphia 76ers!

Yeah man, what you did with Orlando isn't.........the greatest. Although the last update is the best, the compilation of eras definitely is lacking. Orlando because of a lot of reasons should probably have the most modern uniforms types. Pick a few of the aspects from the past and put them together on a modern template (Apologies if that sounds harsh, not trying to be).

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Harsh is cool with me. I've never been happy with any look for Orlando. I have my issues with the current set (way too messy with the piping scheme and the curved pinstripes are particularly nasty), but the other sets are either too dated or too generic. I think I'm on the right track with the latest update, and here is my gameplan for the next upgrade (after I get Philly and a few other teams out of the way):

-get rid of the shorts stars (clash with the modern logos, and they look a little overdone)

-go for a piping scheme more akin to the currents (just without all the unnecessary curving)

-keep the star v-neck (I'll probably update the trim scheme to match the panel trim)

Have very minimal allusions to the past, and just clean up the current set. Thanks man, I like to be pushed to do more wild/modern things.

I'll post the next Orlando update soon. I'm still not entirely happy with it, but I think it'll do. Anyway, on to the Sixers!

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS

On this Independence Day, why not celebrate a sense of patriotism with one of the most "patriotic" teams in the US? I don't think it is an unpopular opinion to say that I dislike the current Sixers set. Sure, I get the idea behind it, but I really dislike the execution. The Sixers maintained a primary with bad line weights and a lazy attempt to shoehorn in the city name (a rule that does not exist in this series), omitted wordmark and number outlines, and thought that a bizarre faux-modern template was the way to go. Going neo-retro should have been easy for them, but they screwed it up. This concept is my attempt to give them a proper update of one of their classic looks.

The first big change is the primary. It is based on the classic ball logo, but it now uses a rendering of the basketball that features even line weights (sourced from the Knicks' current logo, since my Knicks concept didn't use that logo). There is no city name, as the Sixers have been around long enough to not require it. The secondaries are an isolated "76" and the new Ben Franklin logo, and the tertiary represents a star within a "P" (intended to signify the city on the uniforms). The court is just a color inverted version of the current court, for a more Spectrum-like look.

13475491395_9905512f4c_c.jpg

13475845364_d99d8eaf00_c.jpg''

Uniforms

The uniforms are based off of one of the most underrated looks in basketball, the 1971-78 home/road set. I made some basic changes to this set, such as altering the number of stars on the panels (3 on the shorts vs. the original 2), adjusting the stars' spacing, replacing the display font with a block font for wordmark/numbers, removing the waistband striping, and adjusting the collar/arm striping scheme to better fit the color scheme of the uniforms (also switching the crew-necks to v-necks, which have more history with the team and separate them from the r/w/b of my Pistons concept). I think it goes without saying that the wordmarks/numbers now feature proper outlines. The ball logo is now on the shorts, and the "P" logo goes in the panels. The road uniform also features a red base now (again, referencing the 4/5/4 uniforms).

13475491855_18303498d2_c.jpg

13475491655_bb67d121f3_c.jpg

Alternates

The blue alternate is a recolor of the road uniform, and now features the classic "PHILA" wordmark (something I'm surprised the Sixers don't use more often). The Hardwood Classics alt is a recreation of the road uniform from Iverson's rookie year (a look that doesn't stray too far from the brand identity, but looks different nonetheless).

13475490905_b74c2a9750_c.jpg

14452558991_a26cc8f91b_c.jpg

Up next, the Orlando Magic update and the Phoenix Suns!

Sixers look fantastic man. I love everyhting here, all the eras combined work well togther. The only jersey I'm not a fan of is the Hardwood Classic. I get the whole Iverson era thing, but I don't like that jersey.

:wub:(dance):boogie:(bow):jawdrop::censored:(sleepz):puke::woot::sleeping::hockeysmiley::therock::oops:

I think I like smilies too much!

The stars on the sides are WAY too New Jersey Nets for me. [http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/atwbi6ejqacmzvvghxl54flt9/New_Jersey_Nets/1978/Home_Uniform] I didn't know the Sixers had stars from 71-78, but according to the link, the Nets had them from 77-90--which is longer and more recent. So I would stay away from stars, especially because your striping is similar.

The stars on the sides are WAY too New Jersey Nets for me. [http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/atwbi6ejqacmzvvghxl54flt9/New_Jersey_Nets/1978/Home_Uniform] I didn't know the Sixers had stars from 71-78, but according to the link, the Nets had them from 77-90--which is longer and more recent. So I would stay away from stars, especially because your striping is similar.

Unlike the Nets though, the Sixers went to the finals in these and were more successful overall.

Here is the Orlando Magic update, now featuring stars blended into the panels (like my Clippers concept), no arm trim, and a better piping scheme (so that the stars can blend). That way, it doesn't look too dated or too generic. The logo sheet and court are the same as update 2B.

14579933801_f719cb41f9_c.jpg

14579933711_cb61f967e0_c.jpg

Alternate

14579933621_a53debf3de_c.jpg

Without a doubt, Orlando was one of the most pain-in-the-ass teams to do. All of their previous looks are either way too dated or way too generic, and it's incredibly hard to find a balance that actually looks good and unique to the Magic. I think I've done it with this one, trying to balance the current look with the past.

Up next, the Suns!

Your Sixers concept is nearly flawless! I absolutely love the retro feel with just the right mix of modernization. The only thing I would change is "P" logo at the bottom of the side paneling on the shorts, as I feel an additional star would make for a slightly less cluttered look given the primary logo on he front of the leg. By no means a make-or-break piece though, that concept is very well done.

Your update for the Magic is the best version yet in my eyes. The only suggestion I have would be to include a thin silver border between the wordmark+numbers and their current borders to balance out the silver on the shorts. Other than that, this is another excellent concept.

Can't wait to see what you have in store for the Suns!

Archived