NBA Project 32 - Timberwolves Update

SFGiants58

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wordmarks are inconsistent. You have a stripe through all the letters except the C in PACERS and the D in INDIANA. I know you didn't create the wordmark, but they just stand out like sore thumbs to me. OVerall, I'd say an 8/10 because everything else is top-notch. Really liking this series

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I'm actually not a big fan of the Pacers. It looks pretty dated, and overall it's just too much for me with all the stripes and the streaks through the wordmarks and numbers. Granted, I've never been a huge fan of their late 80s look or the throwback you based the striping off of. I would offer up some suggestions, but I'm just not a huge fan of the look as a whole. It's not bad, it's just not my taste.

I like the Pacers look. 4 things though:

- a more subtle contrast of yellows for the primary's checkerboard background might look better, similar to the blue checkboard on the tertiary.

- I think the "INDIANA" wordmark is perfect, especially with that state ouline in the D.

- the "PACERS" wordmark makes me wonder what makes the C special. Why no motion line?

- the number font is too abstract for me. I think it's tough to read as a soft copy and would be even more illegible on an actual uniform.

ujsignature.png

KANSAS CITY DIESELS

The first of two expansion teams for this series (the other is a Sonics Mk. II team). When contemplating where I would put an expansion team to bring the league up to 32 teams (31 could technically be done, but it'd just be messy for scheduling), I immediately seized upon Kansas City. I had already ruled out Pittsburgh and Kentucky , the former because it would create an imbalance of teams in each conference (Minnesota is going to the Eastern Conference), and Kentucky is dominated by college basketball programs (Louisville and University of Kentucky). Vancouver was also ruled out, as the Pacific Northwest really doesn't need three teams. Not only do they have a fully-functional modern arena that no team is using (the Sprint Center), but they also have a history in the NBA, as they were the Kings' home city from 1972-85. When deciding on a nickname, I went for a name that would make them unique in the league, Diesels. This is a reference to the rail industry in Kansas City, and the color scheme of black, yellow, and red accents is taken from the Kansas City Southern Line's livery:

KCS2-SLevy2.jpg

The primary logo is based on a trace of the diesel, along with a roundel featuring the interlocking "KC" logo that I debuted a few days ago. The font I used for the team is Conrad's Beaverton Block, as it felt like a modern adaptation of a slab-serif font, perfect for an old-timey, industrial feel. The court incorporates a track feature in the keys, as well as dominantly yellow baselines/sidelines.

13119447973_465b3cb12e_c.jpg

13119448973_baa232050f_c.jpg

Uniforms

On the uniforms, I used the red as an accent for the shorts logos and the paneling, imitating the striping on the Southern Line's engines. I decided to play it simple with the collar and arm striping, as a way to draw attention towards the striped panels.

13119339195_c63a2a7b00_c.jpg

13119339105_5e468ece91_c.jpg

Alternate:

The alternate is a gold version of the home uniform, but with the train stripe paneling replaced by train track panels. I'm not all that sure about this alt, as the tracks could easily be mistaken for piano keys or seen as especially cheesy. But hey, it's an alternate, and I feel that alternates should rarely be simple recolors.

13119622664_4f86d98b3e_c.jpg

This is one of my first "from scratch" designs. I felt a little nervous trying to create a team from out of thin air with my inexperience in drawing logos (I think the primary might be a bit too over-detailed), and I still think it needs some tweaking to get it just right. But still, it was a nice experience making them, and I can't wait to learn more about making a team "from scratch".

Up next, and from a firmer base, the Los Angeles Clippers!

I love this!! I've been a train fan since I was small, and it's always cool to see how teams incorporate them into their branding. This is one of the best ones I've seen. The track detail is the only thing I have an issue with right now.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

If this is one of your first "from scratch" designs, then I'm very impressed! You translated the color combos and feel of the train to the home and away uniforms very nicely. In some ways, using the black and white train tracks as the main striping on the alts takes away from the cool yellow-red-black look. Also, I've tried to do a train-themed concept before and I've never thought of the name Diesels! I like that a lot. I usually end up scratching the names I come up with (Express, Locomotives, etc.) because they sound too cheesy. Nice work in this series!

If this is one of your first "from scratch" designs, then I'm very impressed! You translated the color combos and feel of the train to the home and away uniforms very nicely. In some ways, using the black and white train tracks as the main striping on the alts takes away from the cool yellow-red-black look. Also, I've tried to do a train-themed concept before and I've never thought of the name Diesels! I like that a lot. I usually end up scratching the names I come up with (Express, Locomotives, etc.) because they sound too cheesy. Nice work in this series!

Thanks. Here is a new version of the alts, now with striping that matches the home/road.

14174472520_f602ae9a60_c.jpg

Very nice work, especially considering this is your first original logo. My only suggestion for the logo would be to have the front end of the train come out of the outer circle. I feel like it would give the logo a better sense of movement.

For the uniforms, I would simplify things a little bit. The side panels are way too busy right now. I would consider using just the very inner part that is based on the train. On the home and alt, black with red trim, and on the road, yellow with red trim. Then, for the collar and cuffs, I would use thin red piping, similar to the Heat/Lakers/Pistons/Raptors.

As a Kansas City resident, a wholeheartedly approve of the Diesels branding. I think for your first from scratch concept it is amazing. I agree with the comments on the train logo, I think perhaps that is something you can refine a bit over time as your skills grow...but I mean as a total package concept, great work. Love the color scheme, it is bold and unique. Choo f-ing choo! :)

Archived