NBA Project 32 - Timberwolves Update

SFGiants58

Maximus, I think you'll be really happy with what I've done with Houston. Thanks for all the C+C, guys, I really appreciate it. I knew Dallas was going to be a controversial redesign, and I admit that I did not stray from the currents far enough/used a less-than-popular font. I will probably update them when I get a good idea on how to improve them. Until then, here's another team!

DENVER NUGGETS

I completed most of this concept in January, and I tweaked it several times before presenting it here (some of these concepts have been complete for some time, but they all receive tweaks before I present them). This one was a no-brainer from the start of the project. I love Denver's gold alternates, and I wanted to base the entire identity around them. Of course, the first thing I did was remove the constantly-recolored primary that matches nothing else in the identity (one of my least-favorite primary logos in the league), and I shifted the primary to an update of the rainbow-era's primary. The excellent secondary logo remains, and the original Nugget-man returns (albeit recolored). The idea for the court only came to me recently, as I was playing around in Photoshop. I noticed the semi-circle shape of the primary, and considering how that logo would look terrible in the lanes, came up with a unique solution.

12843726355_c6fc4b0d87_c.jpg

12648270694_4f92bcdeb4_c.jpg

The uniforms are based on the current gold alt, with accommodations made for the different bases (white and powder blue). The v-neck collar remains, but is now without the logo patch. The road uniform keeps its "Denver" script logo, in the same color balance as the current road uniform.

12250338586_3247d9a943_c.jpg

12250338326_7075c400df_c.jpg

The alternates are simple enough. The first is the gold alt on which the entire set is based (which, like the Lakers and Cavaliers, could easily be the standard home uniform if the team so desires), and the second is a throwback to a more obscure ABA uniform, namely this.

12250209324_f0eaeca689_c.jpg

13503032875_ce7cf450ce_c.jpg

Up next, we move on to Motor City!

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

love it, but i think the Nuggets should keep the striping, but lose the 80's esque building in the mountains. They just look really bad to me (not your fault obviously, just an out-dated logo). But great work

No. The Nuggets gold alternate is one of the nicest jerseys in the league. A full set based on that would make them a top 5 looking team in the league.

Absolutely love this set. Can't wait to see what you do with the Pistons.

sig.png

love it, but i think the Nuggets should keep the striping, but lose the 80's esque building in the mountains. They just look really bad to me (not your fault obviously, just an out-dated logo). But great work

No. The Nuggets gold alternate is one of the nicest jerseys in the league. A full set based on that would make them a top 5 looking team in the league.

no i love the current yellow alternates, and the whole style of them.

I'm saying they should keep everything, but eliminate the buildings. Keep the stripes and the mountains, but no buildings.

idk maybe it's an unpopular opinion on the buildings, but i just think it would give it a better look

no i love the current yellow alternates, and the whole style of them.

I'm saying they should keep everything, but eliminate the buildings. Keep the stripes and the mountains, but no buildings.

idk maybe it's an unpopular opinion on the buildings, but i just think it would give it a better look

I've seen an updated version of the skyline to the modern Denver skyline somewhere...

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Thanks for the C+C guys. I'll probably make a new court for the Nuggets at some point.

DETROIT PISTONS

Another one where I had a clear agenda during the design. I wanted to rectify my two biggest problems with their set, namely the bland primary and secondary marks and the collar/arm non-trim (the Lakers' similar collar/arm non-trim will be eliminated as well). The first problem was easy to solve, as I simply reinstated the team's 2001-2005 primary and secondary marks. Because the Pistons kept the same font (unlike the Jazz and Nuggets, the two most egregious recolored primaries), the logos still work in the traditional color scheme. Also, navy blue as an accent color works, as it is used for the primary shadow on the alternate). The court uses the same template as the 50th Anniversary Court (one of my favorite r/w/b courts in basketball), and reinstates the retired numbers in the paint (a unique feature for the NBA).

13025426483_0d9ee6c6bc_c.jpg

13025651314_dd8fd2d3c5_c.jpg

Uniforms

I really like what the Pistons do with their uniforms, but I think some changes are necessary. The most obvious change is that the 80's crew neck collar and arm trim return, as I've never been a fan of the aforementioned non-trim wishbone collar and nonexistent arm trim. The next change is flipping the colors of the lettering on the road uniform to improve visibility, as red text with white outline can get lost against the blue background, and it improves consistency with this set's red alt. Of course, the 2001-05 horse returns to the shorts.

13025426083_284db92865_c.jpg

13025267695_b80c80431e_c.jpg

Alternates

The red alt is basic in concept. It features the same striping template as this pre-teal alternate, and uses the script logo from the primary (complete with drop shadow to improve visibility) as well as an off-center front number. The "DP" logo goes on the shorts of this one, as the red basketball of the horse logo didn't have enough contrast with the red base. The other alternate is a Hardwood Classics version of their first uniform in Detroit, and would be unique in the NBA, as it has both the city and team names arranged in a UNC-style (obviously with NOB added, to comply with NBA rules).

13025426173_fa588821b3_c.jpg

13503124913_8b2179fba0_c.jpg

Next up, we liftoff with the Houston Rockets (for those who think I'm skipping over the Warriors, the change in the alphabetical placement should give an indication as to my planned changes for them)!

Not feeling the collars...although everything else is cool. Modern uniforms and old schools uniform collars don't go well together at all. Something modern would make this set perfect. It doesn't have to be the nike wishbone collar (although there's nothing wrong the wishbone collars imo). The return of the old logos and the court design are awesome. Although for the pistons aways, a red font w/ white outline is better white you currently have.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

That throwback is magnificent and the Nuggs all in all are great, but that court is a little funky...the top half of the circle with the skyline in it must go away.

Yeah, I wasn't too sure it would work. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer the logo semi-circles, but it doesn't really accommodate all tastes. So, I made a version with the primary in the lanes.

14067575619_51ec4ca88e_c.jpg

Not feeling the collars...although everything else is cool. Modern uniforms and old schools uniform collars don't go well together at all. Something modern would make this set perfect. It doesn't have to be the nike wishbone collar (although there's nothing wrong the wishbone collars imo). The return of the old logos and the court design are awesome. Although for the pistons aways, a red font w/ white outline is better white you currently have.

While crew necks are somewhat old-school, the Pistons' modern look has been paired with them before. I tried using a v-neck and a wishbone, but neither really gelled with the concept. Also, seeing as how the Pistons generally used red scripts with white outlines on their road uniforms, I reinstated that for the update.

14067559719_722e163803_c.jpg

I'll be gone for Memorial Day Weekend, but when I come back, I'll have the Rockets (and a few others) ready to go. Once again, thanks for all the C+C guys, I've always appreciated it and I like to learn from your suggestions.

Really like the Mavericks one. I always thought they should embrace the green a bit more. The Stars also use the green heavily so it would feel like a connection. Now, does that matter? No. Especially since the Rangers would still be red and blue.

Archived