NBA Project 32 - Timberwolves Update

SFGiants58

Here is the first update. I replaced navy blue with dark grey, and dumped the roundels in favor of thunderclouds. While I tried to make a thunderhead, it just wound up looking like a grey blob. The clouds may be a little cartoony, but I think they work with Mister Vicious' wordmarks (the "n" and "k" make nice lightning bolts). The court has been updated to reflect the new logos and color scheme, and the baseline wordmarks are now white with orange outlines to better stand out against the grey paint.

14544641944_3407814e61_c.jpg

14359589358_2e03840c30_c.jpg

Uniforms

The lightning bolts are far more subtle, in that they follow from the bottom of the paneling. That way, they are more subtle and don't take attention away from the wordmarks. By updating it this way, the spirit of the original design remains without making the team look generic. Because grey is the color of the road uniform, the alt is now orange.

14359519690_2b76e49d8c_c.jpg

14359519600_0cbd84c98c_c.jpg

Alternate

14359519820_87b55ca9fe_c.jpg

Up next, the Orlando Magic!

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the first update. I replaced navy blue with dark grey, and dumped the roundels in favor of thunderclouds. While I tried to make a thunderhead, it just wound up looking like a grey blob. The clouds may be a little cartoony, but I think they work with Mister Vicious' wordmarks (the "n" and "k" make nice lightning bolts). The court has been updated to reflect the new logos and color scheme, and the baseline wordmarks are now white with orange outlines to better stand out against the grey paint.

14544641944_3407814e61_c.jpg

14359589358_2e03840c30_c.jpg

Uniforms

The lightning bolts are far more subtle, in that they follow from the bottom of the paneling. That way, they are more subtle and don't take attention away from the wordmarks. By updating it this way, the spirit of the original design remains without making the team look generic. Because grey is the color of the road uniform, the alt is now orange.

14359519690_2b76e49d8c_c.jpg

14359519600_0cbd84c98c_c.jpg

Alternate

14359519820_87b55ca9fe_c.jpg

BETTER.

10320503_714676778595356_777383695538977

But touch up the clouds just a little bit...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I really like the new color scheme. I can't think of any professional team that uses a brownish-gray as a main color. I think it works really well with the orange and yellow. The court looks great.

I do agree with 29texan, the clouds could use some more work. They doesn't look major league yet.

award%20sig.png

I've said many times with the new Jax Jaguars set that if the uniforms were for a new team or one that didn't have a great original look like the Jags did in the 90s and early 2000s, they would fit pretty well (except the helmet). And that's how I feel about these Thunder concepts. It's a good idea, but like what was said before, their colors and brand now is such a strong one that it's difficult to see them in anything else.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

And are you sure that's grey?

Looks brown to me. Maybe it's my screen, but they look more brown than grey. Honestly, brown could work, too...

It's grey. I should probably put more of a blue base in the grey, which I'll do for the next update (in which I'll try to fix the clouds).

I'm not sure the clouds are even necessary.

I agree. I think the wordmarks are pretty kick ass, but the clouds really distract and soften the look. I think if you went with a blue based gray, it would make a big difference. I'm not a fan of what the paneling does toward the base of the shorts. To me it is not consistent with anything else in the look. Maybe have a few less and a little bit bigger edges, so it doesn't look like a serrated knife and more like lightning. You're on your way. Keep up the good work.

I've said many times with the new Jax Jaguars set that if the uniforms were for a new team or one that didn't have a great original look like the Jags did in the 90s and early 2000s, they would fit pretty well (except the helmet). And that's how I feel about these Thunder concepts. It's a good idea, but like what was said before, their colors and brand now is such a strong one that it's difficult to see them in anything else.

Huh? They have the weakest brand and most bloated color scheme in the league right now. This concept would be a huge improvement.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Huh? They have the weakest brand and most bloated color scheme in the league right now. This concept would be a huge improvement.

A MAJOR and most welcomed improvement.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Here is the final update, the grey has been replaced with a bluish-grey (that contrasts more with the orange) and the thunderclouds have been dumped (the wordmarks work well on their own, and any attempt to do clouds clashed with the angular wordmarks).

14375330417_b458ce9080_c.jpg

14375097380_a562992028_c.jpg

Uniforms

The lightning bolts now angle straight down from the panels (in an even more subtle way), and the shorts logos now have color distributions to match the main wordmark.

14561779355_0a6b2665f9_c.jpg

14375096920_e5ae24349f_c.jpg

Alternate

14558384081_3a495f571b_c.jpg

ORLANDO MAGIC

Another team that receives the "combination of eras" approach. Much like their expansion partners, the Minnesota Timberwolves, the Magic have had many great elements in their look but have never had them at the same time. The original pinstripe set is one of the best NBA looks to come out of the 90's, but that set had a poorly-designed number font and overdid the pinstripes a little. The subliminated stars set has a better number font and template, but the subliminated stars really don't translate well to modern design and the attempt to update the wordmark went awry (the fact that there was no "Orlando" wordmark on the road uniform hurt the set a little). The generic set just looks terrible, apart from the star-collar (one of my favorite logo collars), and the current set is a somewhat messy attempt to update the pinstripe and subliminated sets with bland wordmarks and overdone front pinstripes. This is my attempt to clean up the current set by adding in appropriate pieces from previous eras.

The wordmarks are from the original set, as they capture the whimsy and "cool" factor that I liked so much from the Shaq/Penny era. They are paired with the modern shooting ball, as the original just looked messy and the modern shooting ball has been successfully paired with the 90's-style wordmarks. The secondary is just the shooting ball, and the tertiary is an O*M insignia meant for hats/other apparel. The court simply gets the new primary and more appropriate baseline wordmarks, and the parquet floor remains.

13419017823_49df867a0c_c.jpg

13419018613_a48e6f9134_c.jpg

Uniforms

The uniforms are where the real "combination of eras" look begins. The template of the uniforms is based off of the current template, but with some modifications/cleanup. Namely, the panel stripes from the subliminated set are added to the panels, the panels now go from top to bottom without tapering or forming some complex trim that jumbles up the look, and the set now has proper arm trim. I kept the silver pinstripes, as they contrasted the best with the wordmarks. Because the crew-neck or the overlapping v-neck looked too out-of-place, a modified version of the star v-neck is implemented. The wordmarks are the 90's wordmarks from the rest of the design package, and the number font is Conrad's recreation of UGA's Bulldog Bold (it was the closest match to the subliminated set's number font). The road uniform now features a contrast-colored number, a feature not present on the original.

13418900475_ec387cecbc_c.jpg

13419285004_a3671282b8_c.jpg

Alternate

The alternate is a black recolor of the road uniform. Originally, the black uniform was going to be primary road uniform, but the electric blue edged it out.

13419016703_4d53bc66db_c.jpg

Up next, the Philadelphia 76ers!

Archived