NBA Project 32 - Timberwolves Update

SFGiants58

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the C+C guys. I realize now that Sacramento does need to have a "Sacramento" wordmark on at least one of their uniforms (especially after the whole Anaheim/Virginia Beach/Seattle mess). So, here is the road uniform with a Sacramento wordmark (the current wordmark modified to fit the style of the "Kings" wordmark) and the updated logo sheet.

14607969092_d914173840_c.jpg

14585514436_51c9dfe1a1_c.jpg

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

I really didn't need to do much with the defending champions. The Spurs pretty much have a perfect identity as it is, and they barely need to change anything. The logos are the same as the current logos, but there are some tweaks to the court. It goes back to its 2002-12 form, with the primary at center and the empty space in the keys.

12869821334_3597540ccc_c.jpg

13184410864_8b963ceac1_c.jpg

Uniforms

Here is where some genuine tweaks happen. The v-necks get switched to crew necks (I just like crew necks for the Spurs more), and the spur gets recolored whenever it's cast against a black base (on the home paneling/road uniform). It keeps the look consistent, has precedence, and makes the spur more visible against black. Other than that, no changes were made as there are no others that would improve the look (for me at least).

12546681643_ba10a621de_c.jpg

12546681483_ce8d75dcdb_c.jpg

Alternate

I originally wanted to do something with the fiesta colors, but I felt that it would look too shoehorned in. Those colors don't have any place in their identity, and they are best left in the franchise's past (I'm always glad they kept those colors off the uniforms). However, because the team recently introduced a silver alt and all of the other former ABA teams have ABA throwbacks, I gave them their ABA home uniform/first NBA home uniform as an alternate. It's different enough from the home and road, but still very much part of the same identity. Of course, they would never play against the Bulls with these uniforms (it made sense when the teams were in different leagues, not so much now).

12547044314_a361687b06_c.jpg

Pretty boring update, but there really isn't much of a need to update the Spurs. They are a team that got it right in the 70's that updated properly on their own (like what I wish the Suns and Blazers did).

Next up, in a far less boring update, the Golden State San Francisco Warriors!

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

I really didn't need to do much with the defending champions. The Spurs pretty much have a perfect identity as it is, and they barely need to change anything. The logos are the same as the current logos, but there are some tweaks to the court. It goes back to its 2002-12 form, with the primary at center and the empty space in the keys.

12869821334_3597540ccc_c.jpg

13184410864_8b963ceac1_c.jpg

Uniforms

Here is where some genuine tweaks happen. The v-necks get switched to crew necks (I just like crew necks for the Spurs more), and the spur gets recolored whenever it's cast against a black base (on the home paneling/road uniform). It keeps the look consistent, has precedence, and makes the spur more visible against black. Other than that, no changes were made as there are no others that would improve the look (for me at least).

12546681643_ba10a621de_c.jpg

12546681483_ce8d75dcdb_c.jpg

Alternate

I originally wanted to do something with the fiesta colors, but I felt that it would look too shoehorned in. Those colors don't have any place in their identity, and they are best left in the franchise's past (I'm always glad they kept those colors off the uniforms). However, because the team recently introduced a silver alt and all of the other former ABA teams have ABA throwbacks, I gave them their ABA home uniform/first NBA home uniform as an alternate. It's different enough from the home and road, but still very much part of the same identity. Of course, they would never play against the Bulls with these uniforms (it made sense when the teams were in different leagues, not so much now).

12547044314_a361687b06_c.jpg

Pretty boring update, but there really isn't much of a need to update the Spurs. They are a team that got it right in the 70's that updated properly on their own (like what I wish the Suns and Blazers did).

Next up, in a far less boring update, the Golden State San Francisco Warriors!

5 thumbs up...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Loving the Kings (That fauxback! Did you read my mind?) and Suns (Intriguing for a fan of the current set).... but the other two sets I'm torn on. The Blazers look great.... for a team stuck in the past. I feel like if you want to work with that font, you have to modernize it somehow.

Now, the Spurs. A simple tweak that looks great. However, that alternate jersey isn't needed. I prefer the grey jersey they wear now, because it's shocking, yet works.

:wub:(dance):boogie:(bow):jawdrop::censored:(sleepz):puke::woot::sleeping::hockeysmiley::therock::oops:

I think I like smilies too much!

GOLDEN STATE SAN FRANCISCO WARRIORS

My hometown team already has a great set, but it needs some definite tweaks. The most important is a change to their city name, from "Golden State" to "San Francisco". The "Golden State" name, a relic of an aborted attempt to turn the franchise into a traveling team, has no place existing when there are 3 other teams in the state. Also, because of their upcoming move to an SF arena and this alternate logo, I just feel it makes more sense to switch back to the "San Francisco" name. Because of this change, I've had to change the bridge logo from the eastern span of the Bay Bridge to the Golden Gate Bridge, using a rending based off of this Giants shirt. The logo still has the same amount of space for front uniform numbers. The Copperplate remains, as I actually like it for a lettering number font with the team's branding. The cable car logo from the late 60's-early 70's returns, now as a secondary logo bearing the interlocking "SF" logo. The tertiary is simply a textless primary with the "SF" insignia.

The court is a color inverted version of the current, just with the new city name and primary logo.

12843710655_e7eba189b7_c.jpg

12844127224_4993e92022_c.jpg

Uniforms

Here is where I decided to perform a few more tweaks. The bracketed collar is now a v-neck, as I feel the original bracketed collar just didn't work with the design. The panels now have a contrasting color in the middle (representing sky, water, or a simple color contrast), and the bridge pattern on the shorts is more defined with pieces of the paneling acting as top cables for the suspension bridge. The secondary is above the NOB (my series does not move the NBA logo to above the NOB), and the number goes in its regular place on the front.

12427290455_0da92c6ece_c.jpg

12427290125_1587bccb7b_c.jpg

Alternates

Both of these alternates hark back to the past in their own ways. The first is a gold alt (that thankfully doesn't have shorts pinstripes or g'd sleeves). It is a simple pallet swap of the road uniform, but with a few switches. Namely, the logo is slightly lower to accommodate an update of the classic "The City" wordmark. I've always wanted to see an alt with that wordmark, and I think it's a nice element to make the alternate more of an alternate. The Hardwood Classics alt is a throwback to the Run-TMC road uniforms, a style that follows the "look different, but not too different" rule I follow with throwbacks. It was also one of the few older styles that didn't say "Golden State" as well. Note, I could not find a good enough digital representation of the uniform's actual number font, so I did what 2K games did and used the 97-10 number font. It's close, and I've always liked that font.

12427772984_d51b407eac_c.jpg

13503033395_fe07db85b6_c.jpg

Only 4 teams left! Up next, the Seattle Supersonics Mk. II!

Oh my god, I LOVE what you did with the Warriors! I love the updated bridge and especially the bridge motifs on the shorts.

However, my only concern is that a blue court seems kinda dull. Needs more yellow, but that's just me.

Well done and certainly worth the wait!

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

Re Spurs: I'm w/ KevinJohnsonThaTruth, also curious about a "SAN ANTONIO" wordmark for alts (and possibly road). Other than that, NAILED IT, especially with the spur treatments!

The entire Warriors set rocks. Even the Fritz numbers from '97 work on the earlier-90s "Run-TMC" jersey, making for an interesting HWC look. Solid gold (and blue too)...well done!

So psyched for your design take on Sonics 2.0 (as much as I am for a possible return of the team itself, if not more so)!!!

I really like the subtle changes you made to the Warriors. The only thing I would suggest is to get rid of the white stroke around the "SF" in the logos. It a the only element of the whole package with a stroke. Just do plain yellow on blue and vice versa. Also, don't go back to the current court--way too much yellow. Maybe just make the lane yellow.

I really like your shorts striping for the Warriors. Great job. I also like the blue court. IMO, yellow paint on a stained court doesn't look good because the colors are too similar.

I would suggest you make the blue outer oval a circle to match the rest of the circles in the logo. I know that you match their logo, but the unbalanced weight of the line really bothers me.

I agree with Clintau24, the street car numbers would be a great touch. I think it would work on the yellow alternate.

award%20sig.png

Archived