NBA Project 32 - Timberwolves Update

SFGiants58

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The logo on the bottom of the 3 star part bothers me, and really ruins the balance of the uniform. I would actually have kept that space blank, but other than that, the Sixers look pretty good.

Thanks. Looking it over, I find that going back to the old panel arrangement would better serve the uniform. I've updated the uniforms through moving the "76ers" roundel onto the shorts panel to balance out the fourth star on the shorts (with the jersey shifting towards three stars per side), and moved the new primary to the right leg (to balance out the uniform more).

19521504552_c06d18ac5a_b.jpg

18907319933_a2fa140b20_b.jpg

Ooh yes I do love that new primary logo, although I'm less a fan of the basketball lines on the star because 1) it unnecessarily adds another color to the palette, and 2) the star does not occupy enough space for the idea of a basketball. And I still don't like the usage of the ball logo to offset the 4th side panel star; it just doesn't flow well with the uniform. Why not get rid of the 4th star and the basketball logo and move the "hall-star" logo to the other side of the shorts? That gives you the 7-and-6 you want while maintaining symmetry in the side panels. You could spin some yarn about how the 13th star (the logo) is a reference to the Pennsylvania colony and the role it played during the American Revolution or something like that.

Ooh yes I do love that new primary logo, although I'm less a fan of the basketball lines on the star because 1) it unnecessarily adds another color to the palette, and 2) the star does not occupy enough space for the idea of a basketball. And I still don't like the usage of the ball logo to offset the 4th side panel star; it just doesn't flow well with the uniform. Why not get rid of the 4th star and the basketball logo and move the "hall-star" logo to the other side of the shorts? That gives you the 7-and-6 you want while maintaining symmetry in the side panels. You could spin some yarn about how the 13th star (the logo) is a reference to the Pennsylvania colony and the role it played during the American Revolution or something like that.

Thanks. Those "basketball lines" were actually meant to hint at a flag striping pattern, not function as basketball lines. I should have made it more clear in the original description, but I didn't. Anyway, I've got a full, proper update ready to go:

LOGOS AND COURT:

I've tweaked the striping pattern on the primary, so that it now features straight red & white stripes behind Independence Hall. This not only makes the striping more apparent, but it also eliminates the need for the second red. I've updated the court to reflect this change:

19418563869_9e37a0d2c1_b.jpg

19418560009_472f1463d5_b.jpg

UNIFORMS:

Here is where I made some more changes. I've now balanced out the striping on the shorts by adding the new primary to the right side of the shorts. In marketing speak, this move symbolizes "how Independence Hall is the birthplace of the Spirit of '76 for the 13 colonies (represented in the 13 white/blue/red stars)." The old primary moves to the left leg of the shorts, in order to clear space for the new primary and to tribute the 1980's set. The panels now feature the sharper design of the current red alt, which now extends further down the shorts.

19605163855_a1de88a201_b.jpg

19609512231_133951b02d_b.jpg

I still worry that this striping pattern may be too busy, but after extensive tweaking, I think it is the best option. C+C on this and my update to the Jazz on the previous page is welcome, as usual.

Also, be prepared for a few more updates to some of the older concepts soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of the red and white stripes in the primary. I would lose the white and make it a solid red star.

Thanks man. Here's probably the final update for the Sixers, with the red star and blue keys on the court (to balance it out between blue/red):

19354412153_a6416a314f_b.jpg

19788682249_8f8354dc4c_b.jpg

19949137976_efedc2e9b3_b.jpg

19787331158_22c6039b9b_b.jpg

...and now, something that make you question where my sense of good taste has gone!

DENVER NUGGETS

Out of all of the teams I did in the original run, the Nuggets were one of my favorites. However, thinking back on the has lead me to question whether or not I made the best choice in keep the double blue/yellow color scheme. I thought about the team's history, and I decided that it might be worthwhile to give the team a slightly different take on their 1993-2003 color scheme, but with athletic gold replacing the metallic gold and the red becoming brighter. This move would not only tie the team in more with the Denver flag, but also the team's most unique ABA look. Also, for those bemoaning another team with red and blue, note that red/blue/yellow is unique in this series and yellow has more of a role in the color scheme than navy and red (blue/yellow is far more common in my series). Also, judging by the template, nobody would confuse the Nuggets for anybody.

The primary logo is an update of my original primary logo to fit the new color scheme. The secondary takes inspiration from this concept by Avenger, with the tweak to the basketball's shading and the presence of color blocks on the side. I modified the outline scheme of the logo to better match the color blocking on the uniforms. The fonts are still the same, as I did not opt to copy the Nuggets' new fonts. The court is based around my original court, placing the textless primary in the half-circle above the key and adjusting to the new color scheme.

19593652815_b258a95a74_b.jpg

19567480426_d19f0a5358_b.jpg

UNIFORMS:

The uniforms still follow the gold alt's template, but in the new color scheme and with more regard given to color placement. Yellow is now the primary color of the home wordmark and numbers (to help with the "gold" theme), and navy replaces powder as the road uniforms' color. I also retyped the wordmarks in Conrad's "Badger Bold" font, so that I could have more control over the outlining (a problem for my original concept). I didn't swap out the gold alt for a red alt, as gold should have priority over red given the name/differentiation from the navy/red "Federals" and royal/red Sixers and Pistons. The throwback also changes to the more iconic ABA look, to further cement the color scheme while still throwing back to the ABA. I know that some are sick of "ABA Fetishization," but I simply like the ABA looks for all of the former ABA teams.

19593655505_e5883cce6a_b.jpg

18972729903_ab9d8527dd_b.jpg

Now I know that this probably won't be all that popular for the Nuggets, and that some may call it ugly, but I wanted to see if this color scheme could work, and I feel that it does. C+C is much appreciated!

some may call it ugly, but I wanted to see if this color scheme could work, and I feel that it does. C+C is much appreciated!

I am the "some". I'm starting to like it more, but I'm not a fan of red/blue/yellow. The secondary does work better with these colors.

tinysig.jpg

I'm a sucker for powder blue, but this color scheme looks good too. The inclusion of red immediately made me think of their '90s look and the fact that it is also a nod to the flag is good too. I don't know that I like it better than what you had previously, but it isn't a downgrade either. Good job.

award%20sig.png

While I do like the new colors you put for the Nuggets concept, I really like how the powder blue and yellow stands out on your previous Nuggets concept. If it were me I'd probably keep the powder blue and yellow Nuggets concept. By the way, excellent job on this series. Are you planning on maybe creating a couple more expansion teams and adding on to your project 32 series? Do you have any other big projects planned? Thank you and great work!

• 6 months later...

Here's a bump, and a huge overhaul of one of my previous sets!

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES: UPDATE

While I do like my first Timberwolves concept, I felt like it could use some "freshening up." Namely, I wanted to update the template to more resemble the more modern style and to shift the color scheme away from ultramarine/kelly/silver. I decided upon using a forest green/slate blue (a color that the Wolves can really own in the NBA)/light kelly green/silver pallet. This would make them a primary-green team (which all leagues need more of) and would keep the value/color balance of my previous concept. Aside from the color change, I've also flipped the wolf-ball logo to go left-right, as I felt it worked a little better with that alignment. The court from the first concept has been updated as well, with the round key circles from the classic court and more spacing between the trees.

23788126202_96a598c485_b.jpg

23269655333_5c738f6792_b.jpg

UNIFORMS

Here's where I got a bit more creative. The template now reflects more modern styles of paneling, with rounded side panels that contain the tree pattern and flow with the solid arm trim. The top panels also have a hidden "w" in them, while the lower panels hide an "m" within the pattern. It's a fun little bit that adds to the cohesiveness of the uniform, and to the color distribution throughout the set. The home uniform now bears the "Timberwolves" wordmark, as I felt it would be nice to have at least one uniform with the team's full name. The collar is now a v-neck with the tree pattern (to make it look a little more modern). I also kept the waistband striping/pattern, to tie it in with the collar. 

23528554259_e5938d26f6_b.jpg

The alternates are tributes to previous uniform sets that the Timberwolves have used, with the slate "Wolves" alt emulating the classic Garnett set (and carrying over my original concept's template, which I liked), and the light green alt updating the inaugural look, in a new color scheme. This second alt would be more of a rare-use alt, i.e. a St. Patrick's Day alt.

23788124862_6f45a682fa_b.jpg

C+C is greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Are you selling these? I ask because I saw someone wearing a shirt with the Thunder 'OKC' logo. I didn't take a picture because I didn't want to look like a creep. I hope no one is profiting from your logos without your permission. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2014 at 2:46 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks for the C+C, it was really nice to get a classic team out of the way. Now, a somewhat modern team that actually looks modern!

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Ah, the Grizz. While I like their identity, I really feel like it is a little too bland. The boring staring bear, the triple blue/yellow color scheme that just screams "mid-2000's), and what might be the most generic "modern" standard uniforms in the NBA. Also, their split numbers were one of the worst casualties of the Rev 30. However, I adore the "G with slashing bear" logo from the first couple of years in Memphis (they moved away from Vancouver long enough ago to justify its reuse) and the alternate (with it's Egyptian-esque shoulder yoke). So, I decided to hinge the identity around these logos, with a bit of a twist.

The first noticeable change is that the color scheme has switched to one of dark brown/turquoise/yellow, with metallic gold in the logos. This gives them a unique color scheme that not only ties into the nickname (brown), but also alludes to their combined time in Vancouver (turquoise) and Memphis (yellow). The turquoise and yellow could also give an Egyptian jewelry-vibe, alluding to the connection between Memphis, Tennessee and Memphis, Egypt. The court is mostly unchanged from the current court, just adapted to make room for the new logos and coloration (with a special coloration of the FedEx Forum logo).

13481992154_373ff309c4_c.jpg

13481642965_f5d294888f_c.jpg

Uniforms

The current alternate is used as the basis for this entire set (much like what I did with the Nuggets). It's far more modern than their current home/road look, and distances the team enough from its Vancouver days to excuse the coloration. The wordmarks remain on arcs, as I am not a fan of the straight wordmark on the actual alt. The brown road uniform makes them unique in the Western Conference (there's another brown team in the East). Because this series does not use the Rev 30, the split numbers return to the uniforms, finally unifying the set again.

13481743173_e91a9445b8_c.jpg

13481636075_01f8d25786_c.jpg

Alternates

The first alternate is a turquoise version of the home uniform, and the second alternate is a revival of the Memphis Tams throwback they wore a few years ago (it's too unique not to use).

13481635485_bb6722f637_c.jpg

13503124043_566a27af30_c.jpg

While I know that this color scheme may not be popular, I feel that it is fitting for the team and really helps set them apart from the rest of the league.

Up next, the Miami Heat!

What's the logo on the shorts of the Tams throwback? It looks like bacon...or, given the color, perhaps lemon Fruit Stripe gum!

EDIT: It's a hat! It's hard to make out the green part of the hat against the green shorts, though.

• 10 months later...

Uniform

Atlanta Hawks 10/10

Boston Celtics 9.5/10

Brooklyn Nets 10/10

Charlotte Hornets 9/10

Chicago Bulls 10/10

Cleveland Cavaliers 8.5/10

Dallas Mavericks 4/10 and Classics Alt 9.5/10 just so much better than current ones

Denver Nuggets 9.5/10 and Vol 2 9/10 ... I like them both 

Detroit Pistons 9/10 

Houston Rockets 8/10 they look like Hawks then what about red and silver?

Indiana Pacers 10/10

Kansas City Diesels 10/10 ??

Los Angeles Clippers (V2) 10/10 

Los Angeles Lakers 9.0/10

Memphis Grizzlies 9.5/10

Miami Heat 3/10 why not about 90's uniform?

Miami Heat V3 10/10 I prefer them alternate 

Milwaukee Bucks 9/10 I'm a Milwaukee Bucks fan ?

Minnesota Timberwolves Fauxback 9.5/10 

New Orleans Pelicans 10/10

New York Knicks 9.5/10

Oklahoma City Thunder V2 10/10

Orlando Magic V3 10/10

Philadelphia Sixers 10/10

Phoenix Suns 9.5/10

Portland Trail Blazers 10/10

Sacramento Kings 9/10

San Antonio Spurs 10/10

San Francisco Warriors 6/10 and Classics Alt 9/10

Seattle Sonics 9.5/10

Toronto Raptors 9.5/10

Utah Jazz 2/10 I wish that Utah change their names but they won't change anyway 

Washington Federals 8.5/10 what about wizards & blue/gold? 

• Atomic locked this topic

Archived