NBA Project 32 - Timberwolves Update

SFGiants58

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like where you're going with this, and your update is an improvement over your first version. I think it could use more refining, though. The first two things bugging me are the size of the rocket--it's too small in my opinion--and the inconsistency in the placement between the primary and tertiary logos. I would make the rocket bigger and put it in the center of the logo (still angled upward). I'd also use it as the center seam on the basketball and rework the other seams around it. Then, for the primary, place "Houston" and "Rockets" above and below the rocket. I'd also get rid of the "R" secondary logo--the "H" alone is fine IMO--and use the rocket as the crossbar in the H.

I can draw up a rough sketch of what I'm thinking if that was confusing haha.

Thanks man. I've tested out your ideas for the primary and tertiary (which also allowed me to eliminate the contrail, the last non-original element in the set). I assume this is what you meant with your suggestion for the secondary (the "R" was added so that the road could have a representation of the team's name on the road). I love the way this turned out, thank you so much.

14115767300_7d5ab95090_c.jpg

These updates are a lot better for sure. I just wanted to make some possible suggestions.

1. There is already an inconsistency with outline stroke around the rocket in the primary/tertiary and secondary. Make the stroke size of the rocket primary/tertiary just as it is in the secondary.
  2. Try slanting the rocket in the secondary just as in the primary/tertiary. Would give the logo a more aerodynamic feel.
  3. A white outline around the yellow ball would improve yopur logo, imo (similar to Utah's primary logo). The way the three colors meet with the white laces, yellow ball and red roundrel is making the logo look a little minor league (You also give the white ball laces a more modern feel lie the ball in Cleveland, New Orleans, Charlotte or Indiana's logo).
  4. What would you think about giving the Rockets Vegas Gold and a darker Red rather than the Goldenrod/Atheltic Gold/Yellow they have? Would definitely help differentiate the Hawks from the Rockets.
  5. The Rocket you have now, albeit good, comes off stale, static. maybe a little added details (similar to the first rocket) would do wonders.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I like where you're going with this, and your update is an improvement over your first version. I think it could use more refining, though. The first two things bugging me are the size of the rocket--it's too small in my opinion--and the inconsistency in the placement between the primary and tertiary logos. I would make the rocket bigger and put it in the center of the logo (still angled upward). I'd also use it as the center seam on the basketball and rework the other seams around it. Then, for the primary, place "Houston" and "Rockets" above and below the rocket. I'd also get rid of the "R" secondary logo--the "H" alone is fine IMO--and use the rocket as the crossbar in the H.

I can draw up a rough sketch of what I'm thinking if that was confusing haha.

Thanks man. I've tested out your ideas for the primary and tertiary (which also allowed me to eliminate the contrail, the last non-original element in the set). I assume this is what you meant with your suggestion for the secondary (the "R" was added so that the road could have a representation of the team's name on the road). I love the way this turned out, thank you so much.

14115767300_7d5ab95090_c.jpg

These updates are a lot better for sure. I just wanted to make some possible suggestions.

1. There is already an inconsistency with outline stroke around the rocket in the primary/tertiary and secondary. Make the stroke size of the rocket primary/tertiary just as it is in the secondary.
  2. Try slanting the rocket in the secondary just as in the primary/tertiary. Would give the logo a more aerodynamic feel.
  3. A white outline around the yellow ball would improve yopur logo, imo (similar to Utah's primary logo). The way the three colors meet with the white laces, yellow ball and red roundrel is making the logo look a little minor league (You also give the white ball laces a more modern feel lie the ball in Cleveland, New Orleans, Charlotte or Indiana's logo).
  4. What would you think about giving the Rockets Vegas Gold and a darker Red rather than the Goldenrod/Atheltic Gold/Yellow they have? Would definitely help differentiate the Hawks from the Rockets.
  5. The Rocket you have now, albeit good, comes off stale, static. maybe a little added details (similar to the first rocket) would do wonders.

Thanks. I didn't catch that inconsistency until I was uploading it. I had a little free time this morning, so I tried to do the slanted rocket on the H. It worked, but it is not at exactly the same angle as it is on the primary/tertiary (it looked too forced at that angle, and it complicated the drop shadow/centering. The white outline also felt like it helped clear the logo a bit and give it that extra oomph. It also allowed me to shrink the ball and put more emphasis on the Rocket (they are the Rockets after all). I also tried to add more detail to the Rocket, but it just made the thing look too busy, and the big goal of redoing the Rocket was to clean it up and balance it with the neo-retro aesthetic (which I feel that it does). Here is the updated logo sheet (full update to follow soon):

14327561903_b91ab0b62f_c.jpg

I decided against using vegas gold/metallic gold/old gold for the Rockets. Apart from a small selection of teams (49ers, Ottawa Senators, UCLA, Notre Dame, and some other college teams), I detest the metallic gold colors for older teams (i.e. if I did Rams and Penguins concepts, the first thing I would do is ditch the vegas gold/tan color for both of them). The way I've tried to separate the two teams is through subtle shade differences (the Rockets' red is lighter while their yellow is more "goldenrod" than the straight yellow of the Hawks) and a couple of changes I'll make in a Hawks update (which will be to put the "ATL" in the lanes and switch the road uniform's paneling to white) will divide the teams even further. Going for metallic just comes off as "modern for modern's sake", and it would completely clash with the retro feel of the look. When I did try to do it, it just looked out of place with the retro feeling of the logos.

-edit

I was way to harsh on the metallic colors, and I apologize if I came off like a stubborn dick about the yellow. Here is the logo sheet with a sampling of different color schemes.

Dark Red + Vegas Gold

14304797491_af57052768_c.jpg

Bright Red + Old Gold

14328325643_f5ef77f6f5_c.jpg

Cardinal Red + Athletic Gold (my favorite, keeps the retro charm, and you'd never mistake them for the Hawks with this shade and its too bright to bring confusion with the Cavaliers)

14306251072_6760867f88_c.jpg

-edit

I was way to harsh on the metallic colors, and I apologize if I came off like a stubborn dick about the yellow. Here is the logo sheet with a sampling of different color schemes.

Nah...it's cool man. After all it's your concept so you can do whatever you feel like with it, lol. Updates are good and agree with with you on the Cardinal Red/Athletic Gold. It looks the best. Old and Vegas Gold look a bit drab.Whatever gold the saints wear or Notre Dame wears (at least the helmets) would be cool too.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Now, here is the full-scale update for the Houston Rockets, now with the improved logo set and cardinal red!

14330340593_561321194f_c.jpg

14327747353_3bce3498fb_c.jpg

Uniforms

On the road uniform, I used the primary logo in the panels instead of the "H" logo, as I did not like how the recolored "H" logo looked on the yellow panels.

14121031407_88a8cccf39_c.jpg

14306984404_02f92d5de0_c.jpg

Alternates

I tried to improve the throwback alt's number font here.

14120888889_d39fc5d718_c.jpg

14286999636_83c78cfa69_c.jpg

Now that I'm moving on to the Pacers, I'm wondering what I should do for their color scheme and template. I'm tempted to use an update of this ABA-era template:

pacers-aba1.gif

Because my Hawks' concept uses a template near-identical to this for its alt, I've been thinking about changing it up. Maybe putting the striping pattern on both sides, like multiple raceway lanes? Maybe have them outline a section for the wordmark, like what Ben Phillippe did (obviously less busy than his designs)? It's kind of up in the air. As far as color scheme goes, as long as the blue is darker than the Warriors' shade of blue, I think any blue will work with the yellow (preference is definitely towards a dark royal, like the early-70's Cowboys).

INDIANA PACERS

Of all the teams in the NBA, the Pacers have one of the blandest looks. From the staining pattern court, the faux-panels on the road and alt, the bland Agency font, and the silver accents. I originally wanted to update the ABA uniforms I presented a few posts ago, but I saw unsure about how to balance this 70's look with modern sensibilities. The first step I took was to switch the Midnight Navy for a dark shade of Royal Blue, namely the one used by the early-70's Dallas Cowboys. That way, the concept could hark back to the ABA look without sacrificing the darker shades of the team's most iconic period. The shade of yellow is the same "goldenrod" shade they use now. So, I found Ben Phillippe's Pacers redesign, and saw some potential. His use of the 80's script logos was of particular note, and I loved his "Indiana" logo with the state outline in the d. However, his template was a little too messy, and used an unfitting number font. I did wind up using his script logos (the cleaned up 80's wordmark and the "Indiana" wordmark), but I put them to use in a unique fashion on the uniforms. I also saw LightsOut's excellent Pacers concepts, which gave me the idea to subliminate the checkered flag pattern into some of the logos (namely the roundel logo and the alternate "P"). However, I took the checkerboard idea and tailored it to the logos (namely the checkerboard on yellow for the roundel, and a tilted checkerboard for the "P". The court incorporates the ABA-style striping along the sidelines, and features the roundel at the center. Also, the staining pattern is replaced with real paint (there are no staining pattern base/sidelines in this series, and I intend to keep it that way).

13393217315_eee125d3b8_c.jpg

13393575814_8eff4d2e7a_c.jpg

Uniforms

When it came to the classic ABA uniforms, I was initially unsure of what to do. I knew I wanted to keep them to invoke the idea of track lanes and speed, but I wanted the script logos to have more of a presence on the uniform (and differentiate them from my Hawks alt). So, I took Ben Phillippe's script logos and used the "headband" as a way to connect the track striping of the uniform. I also developed a number font based on Conrad's "Dribbler" font with the headband pattern, as it was a close match to the headband-style font and kept up the "speed" motif. The v-necks make a return, with striping to match the uniform striping (but without the overlap v-neck, one of my least favorite collar types). The pattern also appears on the arms and hems. The roundel logo is on the shorts, much like it is now.

13393216655_56deb9d242_c.jpg

13393350043_e9e081de34_c.jpg

Alternates

Now here is where LightsOut's influence comes in. After seeing his solution to the "double triangle pattern" and subliminated checkered flag pattern in the flo-jo stripes, I decided to do my own take on it. I brought back the stripe tapering and skewed the checkered flag pattern to match the tapering of the stripes. I also spread the checkered flag pattern to the script and numbers, bringing the whole "alternate" look together. This not only allows the alternate to be more of an alternate, it also allows the set to allude to the two most successful periods of the team, the ABA and the 90's Knicks rivalry. The throwback is the blue ABA uniform.

13393350623_f1b7f8cd05_c.jpg

13464576543_50ed94bd91_c.jpg

Up next, a surprise expansion to the league (mostly done to allow a Sonics expansion franchise and keep an even number of teams).

The Pacers set is just plain lovely here. My only gripe is how the white horizontal stripe doesn't include the "D," but otherwise it is an awesome concept. Stunning court and the identity very well represents the racinf culture of Indy. Well done as always!

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

Been following this thread from the get go but have just been sitting back and admiring your work. Admittedly, I have been working on an NBA redesign as well so I'm a little envious of how amazing yours look, but we've had some different ideas of where to go with things so it's all cool. That Pacers redesign in particular is damn sexy and nothing I would have ever thought of. Keep up the amazing work!!

Coincidentally, I am expanding the NBA to 32 in my series as well because Sonics and the only question is are you going with a Kansas City team or Kentucky?

First off:

Loving this thread, do you mind if I borrow the theme? Cause I really wanna do the same thing, with courts and logos, word marks, and all.

Second:

I love that Pacers word mark. One thing that I really love, is that Indiana outline in the D, it's so creative!

signature.png

Check out my Instagram page! 9.5k strong! @RileyGissemanArt

Been following this thread from the get go but have just been sitting back and admiring your work. Admittedly, I have been working on an NBA redesign as well so I'm a little envious of how amazing yours look, but we've had some different ideas of where to go with things so it's all cool. That Pacers redesign in particular is damn sexy and nothing I would have ever thought of. Keep up the amazing work!!

Coincidentally, I am expanding the NBA to 32 in my series as well because Sonics and the only question is are you going with a Kansas City team or Kentucky?

The team is going to be Kansas City. I contemplated doing Pittsburgh, Kentucky, or Vancouver, but I ruled them out for various reasons. Pittsburgh got ruled out because I just couldn't come up with an identity that worked (although I will be using black/yellow for Kansas City), Kentucky was eliminated because of the popularity of college basketball in the area with University of Kentucky and Louisville (also to prevent myself from just rehashing the Colonels identity from the ABA, which I would have done to the Pittsburgh Condors if I chose Pittsburgh), and I didn't do Vancouver because the Pacific Northwest really doesn't need three teams (because I'm bringing in an expansion Sonics team). Kansas City seemed perfect because there are no other NBA teams in Missouri (or much of a claim to the area from any extant team) and they have a recently built arena without any tenants (the Sprint Center). I wish you the best of luck on your series!

First off:

Loving this thread, do you mind if I borrow the theme? Cause I really wanna do the same thing, with courts and logos, word marks, and all.

Second:

I love that Pacers word mark. One thing that I really love, is that Indiana outline in the D, it's so creative!

First off: go ahead, but make sure to credit me if you use any of my work directly, per the concept board guidelines thread.

Second: That Indiana outline in the D was done by Ben Phillippe, not me. I credited him with the creation of the wordmarks in my post.

Archived