Atlanta Braves New Stadium

teddthebucfan

I'm confused why everybody is so opposed to this ballpark. Turner Field is the biggest joke of a stadium in the MLB. It was built in a horrendous location, the jumbotron and all of the other "modern amenities" are out of date, and the postseason attendance is awful. They play that Florida State chop music and the crowd barley gets into it. Good for the Braves, they finally opened their eyes.

The part where Cobb County Georgia becomes baseball Glendale.

The site for the new ballpark is under two miles away from Atlanta's city limits, in a county where population growth is rising and becoming more affluent each year. And baseball's a lot more popular in metro Atlanta than hockey is for metro Phoenix.

Let's not get carried away with the Glendale comparisons.

I meant more in terms to committing themselves to spend close to $400 million in public money...which they won't get back.

I spent $7 on lunch today. That's $7 I won't get back.

What's your point? Do you even know anything about Cobb County?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that it's sort of modern while being made to fit into a small footprint. I don't see how it's "another," because Target Field doesn't look like anywhere else (not from the outside, at least; inside it's the same St. Vitus Dance of an outfield wall that every new park has).

Hedley, I'm surprised you're pro-Cobb park on this. I thought you were a City of Atlanta guy and didn't like Tea Party idiots.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm very much against the City of Atlanta.

I don't mind the stadium being built in Cobb for multiple reasons:

1. I live in Fulton County. I'm not being financially affected by this!

2. It's not going to change the number of games I go to per season. Whenever we go to a game, we make a full day out of it. Not very often where we'll go to a game on short-notice.

3. I like how the Braves called the city's bluff. Atlanta (and Marta) had nearly 50 years to make Braves games easier to reach via public transportation and more of a destination spot on game days.

4. At worst, the traffic at 285/75 stays the same (congested during rush hour). I would think the Braves and Cobb have some suggestions on handling the extra traffic.

5. I actually live closer to the new ballpark than Turner Field. The new ballpark is about the halfway point between my girlfriend's and my work places.

6. New buildings are always fun.

another Target Field clone.

What exactly does that mean?

Exactly what it sounds like. The grandstand and canopy look exactly like Target Field's. That's what happens when the same firm designs everything.
You are really grasping at straws if the only thing you have to say is both have canopies, ok it doesn't mean they are the same, just means they want to give people shade, there is nothing wrong with that

another Target Field clone.

What exactly does that mean?

Exactly what it sounds like. The grandstand and canopy look exactly like Target Field's. That's what happens when the same firm designs everything.
You are really grasping at straws if the only thing you have to say is both have canopies, ok it doesn't mean they are the same, just means they want to give people shade, there is nothing wrong with that
The grandstands are identical.

• 3 months later...

Target Field South. Yawn.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

He wants every team to play in the Kingdome and wear pullover jerseys.

Even if every team's stadium was the same (they're not) the sameness now is way better and nicer than the sameness of the cookie cutter donuts of the 70's and 80's.

The problem with Atlanta's new stadium isn't that it's like Target Field (it's not), it's that it's unnecessary.

PvO6ZWJ.png

He wants every team to play in the Kingdome and wear pullover jerseys.

Even if every team's stadium was the same (they're not) the sameness now is way better and nicer than the sameness of the cookie cutter donuts of the 70's and 80's.

The problem with Atlanta's new stadium isn't that it's like Target Field (it's not), it's that it's unnecessary.

Of course, every baseball team should wear v-neck pullover jerseys, we already know that.

The grandstand of the Braves' new park is pretty identical to Target Field. Same lower deck, with moat. Same discontinous club level. Same split upper deck. Similar sun canopy. This is what happens when one company has a monopoly over stadium design.

But when he says that there are perils to one architectural firm doing everything, he's absolutely right. For instance, the irregular outfield dimensions are never more inappropriate than for a park that, more than any other, is defined by being taken away from the constraints of a city and plopped in the middle of nowhere. The moat is an unfortunate development that takes away the inherent populist spirit of baseball by separating fans from one another. It's all really tough to break down, because the answer to "what should a new Braves stadium look like?" is "should there be a new Braves stadium?" But of course, you should never answer a question with another question!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived