Proper Centering For a Number '4' on a Jersey/Shirt

robbman21

I've always been stumped on this one, and seeing the Penguins logo thread inspired me to finally propose the question here. Looking up examples of Favre jerseys are no help, either, as it seems many of them center it based on the center of the vertical line that forms the right side of the digit, while others center it based on the overall width. Of course, this is only an issue with single-digit jerseys of #4 and not 14,24, ect, so I'm curious as to what everyone's consensus is on this.

TitansofNewYorkAuthenticFavrejer-1.jpg

62-01671-P.jpg

98Falcons.png

the number 4 ALWAYS looks wonky to me when i'm making concepts for exactly this reason. i always end up deciding that somewhere in between the two extremes usually looks the best, even though i realize that it is absolutely ridiculous to consider that the answer. it is not the answer.

you've got to center by overall width, and just hope that your font doesn't make it look worse than it already would.

What do they do with 1s in two digit numbers? Since the fonts aren't fixed-width, do they center based on the overall width of both numbers combined? Or center each number in its "space", as if they were equal width?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What do they do with 1s in two digit numbers? Since the fonts aren't fixed-width, do they center based on the overall width of both numbers combined? Or center each number in its "space", as if they were equal width?

Overall width of both

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Archived