Original Six Dress Up for the NFL - Final update - Detroit Lions

oldschoolvikings

Here’s a weird idea I had… I’m not sure I’ll be able to accurately describe what I was thinking, but let me try.

It started when I posted a Falcons’ concept in NFL Concepts thread. It was in response to someone jokingly suggesting that I was destroying my reputation as a grump traditionalist by designing so many modern looking uniforms. So I set about to make a uniform that fit all the obvious criteria of a uniform like the ones worn by Green Bay, Indy, Chicago, etc… a modern uniform that is a logical evolution of a look that was originally established in the 60’s. I gave myself these “rules”; only two colors, only one pair of pants, Braisher stripes on the pants, matching jersey and socks stripes, and no jersey wordmark. What I came up with looked like this;

falc2_zpsac551010.png

At the same time I started thinking about this idea we have in the NHL right now of the so-called “Original Six Dress Up”… in which a team without an old time Hockey tradition apes the design of a team that does. The most obvious example would be the Tampa Bay Lightning wearing the Redwings uniform in blue, but these are other examples. So my idea is this; can I design uniforms for the nine NFL teams that have started playing since the first Super Bowl in 66, giving them looks that might better fit a team from the pre-super bowl era. No throwbacks, or even “faux-backs” exactly… these would be uniforms that a more recent franchise might choose if they were trying to get the feel of a team from the 50’s or 60’s. I guess a better name for this thread would be “Pre-Super Bowl Era Dress Up” but that seemed a little unwieldy.

Anyway the rules again are as follows;

1. Only two colors for each team (I broke this rule once, for the Titans)
  2. Braisher stripes on the pants in most cases
  3. Matching stripes on the jersey and socks
  4. No jersey wordmarks
  5. One pair of pants (rule broken for the Bengals)

Also, I generally leaned towards block numbers and single color numbers.

Anyway, here they are in chronological order as the debuted in the NFL (or AFL as the case may be).

o6-beng_zps45f729eb.png

o6-tb_zps500b8154.png

o6-seat_zps31c2d87b.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think just using two colors in weighing this project down a lot.

Currently 17 of the 32 teams in the NFL have only two colors (not counting colors that appear on the logo only... and of course, not counting white), and 2 have only one color other than white, so those teams would probably disagree with you.

I think more often than not, the extra colors are not really doing anything except cluttering things up... look at the new Bucs uniform.

I agree. The Titans logo has three colors so you should use all of them in that uniform.

The funny thing is, is that I don't think they use red in their actual uniforms. Like he said about teams having colors in their logos but not using them for their uniform. I think the Titans look better with less red, maybe even no red.

I really think just using two colors in weighing this project down a lot.

I thought that was the point? This thread is a challenge rather than one with no limitations. It is much harder to craft one of these threads up so expect it to be fairly minimal.

I like the Jaguars logo, the red tongue reminds me ofone I previously tweaked10300050_1417911731814048_20888109996366

, but i'm not really liking the shade of gold and teal of the Jaguars. I also really like the Panthers concept.

I've always assumed the true reason for the logo's teal tongue is that without it there would be no teal anywhere on the helmet. So by making the helmet teal, I eliminated the need for a weird colored tongue.

As for the shade of the gold and teal... I color-picked right off the logo, so it should just be their standard color set. It does, however, look a little different... I think it's just the lack of black and the amount of gold that makes it look so different from the current uniform.

You broke rule 4 on the falcons.

Acts 16:31 - And they replied: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household."

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me."

I liked all of them other than the jags. the 2-color doesn't work for them.

I agree the Jags look a little washed out without the black. I considered using teal and black as their two colors, but they'd already done that themselves with the set previous to their current, and I hated that one, so I went with teal and gold. Maybe I'll try to rework it.

I liked all of them other than the jags. the 2-color doesn't work for them.

I agree the Jags look a little washed out without the black. I considered using teal and black as their two colors, but they'd already done that themselves with the set previous to their current, and I hated that one, so I went with teal and gold. Maybe I'll try to rework it.

Ok, try this. Jags with just black and teal...

o6-jax_zps6ccc0a43.png

Archived