Original Six Dress Up for the NFL - Final update - Detroit Lions

oldschoolvikings

These are gorgeous. I like the teal in the jaguar's eye. I always thought the teal tongues absurd (inspired by the idea that they would be *eating* the expansion-twin Panthers).

The only thing throwing me is the modern number font on the Jaguars, Seahawks, and Texans. Would like to see them with something more traditional, to fit the style of the uniforms.

rATMcmK.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o6-panth_zps2ec79008.png

OK, that is an amazing Panthers concept (even though the pre-Superbowl era nature of the thread means that they can keep the UCLA stripes). The sock stripes, the blue helmets/pants, and the overall simplicity really make it work. Well done.

Thanks. I thought that one turned out nice, although I figured the source might be a little too obvious. In case you can't tell, it's basically a straight up recolor of the current Packers... just with a slight change to the road jersey stripes and the added sock stripes.

460x.jpg

These are gorgeous. I like the teal in the jaguar's eye. I always thought the teal tongues absurd (inspired by the idea that they would be *eating* the expansion-twin Panthers).

The only thing throwing me is the modern number font on the Jaguars, Seahawks, and Texans. Would like to see them with something more traditional, to fit the style of the uniforms.

I considered using a straight forward block number throughout, but in the end kept the three that were IMO at least somewhat block-inspired. Again, the idea isn't to make basic fauxbacks, but like the NHL's original 6 dress up uniforms, modernish looks that are homages to the distant past.

o6-panth_zps2ec79008.png

OK, that is an amazing Panthers concept (even though the pre-Superbowl era nature of the thread means that they can keep the UCLA stripes). The sock stripes, the blue helmets/pants, and the overall simplicity really make it work. Well done.

Thanks. I thought that one turned out nice, although I figured the source might be a little too obvious. In case you can't tell, it's basically a straight up recolor of the current Packers... just with a slight change to the road jersey stripes and the added sock stripes.

460x.jpg

Then that explains why I love that Panthers concept so much. Still, I wonder what that uniform set would look like with one of these logos: http://hellomattstevens.com/blog/daydream-rebrand-carolina-panthers-hidden-history The Packers template would fit considerably well with some of them.

Maybe something like the far right logo, with white in place of the Carolina Blue outline.

70_evolve.jpg?format=1000w

This is a very entertaining idea for a project, and I think you may have unwittingly hit on something that all the traditionalists out there (of which i can't say I'm not at least somewhat a member) basically think is how it should be. I think if you were to ask someone like Paul Lukas, he'd basically say every one of these look better than the team's current design. There is a certain beauty to these uniforms, both in the tremendous balance of all the uniform elements as well as the reserve they show. The parts work together like they were originally designed to, before teams made new jerseys with merchandising in mind.

To me the only thing that is keeping many of them from being really sharp is the juxtaposition of the very detailed logos with the minimal uniforms. High marks for the concept and execution. (As an aside, I drew up a Seahawks concept very similar to yours when I was a kid, and I still think it holds up well.)

Lookin great! Only thing is, in the first post, you said the most obvious sample of "original six dress-up" is the Lightning. I tend to think that the Hurricanes jerseys are a better example... Just minor random stuff. :) Nice work.

To me the only thing that is keeping many of them from being really sharp is the juxtaposition of the very detailed logos with the minimal uniforms. High marks for the concept and execution. (As an aside, I drew up a Seahawks concept very similar to yours when I was a kid, and I still think it holds up well.)

Yeah, I think I'd have to agree with you that, at least in a few cases, the modern logos and the traditional uniform elements don't really mesh all that well. IMO its especially jarring with the Jags and Titans, but I think in those examples, its also hurt by the inclusion of colors that stand out a bit too much to comfortably only appear in the logos. I freely admit that logo design is not my forte. I'm a professional fine art painter... I like color. Color interaction, color balance... that's kind of my thing, I guess. Logo design sounds a bit too much like real work for me to include it in this hobby of uniform concepts.

And I agree with you about the Seahawks... that might be my favorite one. It's truly amazing how great the interesting parts of their brand (the unique colors, the well designed logo) can look if you just cut away all the extraneous crap.

o6-seat_zps31c2d87b.png

I made a quick mock-up and it doesn't look like the apocalypse and doomsday joined forces for a uni for a football team!

o6-seat_zps31c2d87b-1copy_zpse4c9def0.pn

Hmmm. I didn't realize how easy it is to grab one of these images and alter it. It feels weird to see someone else using it this way, but I'm not sure why.

As for the green numbers... it doesn't really work for me, personally. I'm never a fan of color numbers with white pants (like the rams do currently). It just feels unbalanced to me. Also, on this particular concept, the navy and green never touch. If you want green numbers, I'd prefer to trim them in white.

Green numbers definitely doesn't work. Maybe with a thick white outline.

I think looking back on high school and college jerseys of the 50s and 60s, some of the best of the heat-sealed numbers era, might add to this. That era wasn't quite as bland as this, you could get a little further outside the box and still fit the idea pretty well.

That said, I love all of these. I think all of them are upgrades, even if some of them (Bengals, Texans) lose some identity in the process. They simply look better. I seriously love that Ravens set, and I'm a Steelers fan.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

This is a wonderful concept. Football lends itself well to a traditional aesthetic, and you've proven that. If more teams would just start out the design process with these basic templates and slowly move forward from there to become more unique, the current state of football uniforms would be so much better. Great job. :)

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I'm having so much fun making these I've decided to "break the rules" and expand the pool of possible teams. Obviously, neither the Broncos nor Patriots are post Super Bowl era teams, but both have been wearing modern-style uniforms since the 90's, so I'm giving them the original 6 treatment, too.

o6-brnc_zps6d357d46.png

o6-pats_zps60ece11c.png

I'm having so much fun making these I've decided to "break the rules" and expand the pool of possible teams. Obviously, neither the Broncos nor Patriots are post Super Bowl era teams, but both have been wearing modern-style uniforms since the 90's, so I'm giving them the original 6 treatment, too.

o6-pats_zps60ece11c.png

nevermind O6 treatment, this is what they should be wearing now.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived