2-year-old, $60M high school football stadium declared unsafe, closed for 2014 season

Viper

Cracking concrete at the stadium in Allen, TX has forced the school to rent out a nearby school's field for the 2014 season.

Officials, according to the Dallas Morning News, announce they are closing the stadium for next season and paying more than $5000 a game for their team to play at a neighboring high school. According to the report, engineers found design deficiencies on the concourse. Fixing the stadium, officials told the newspaper, could take more than six months.

CCSLC signature.png

Why does this feel like karmic retribution to me?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Shoddy construction methods shouldn't be linked to karmic anything.

If I'm the superintendent of the school district, I'm suing the contractor.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

There's no doubt that a legal battle is coming. It will involve the contractor, the insurer that issued the performance bond and maybe the architect (if the contractor claims it followed the specifications in the design). However, it seems like a cruel joke that a $60MM high school football stadium is failing less than two years after it opened.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

It's the Philadelphia Eagles. It's payback for bastardizing their logo. :lol:

Since the football stadium is a pile of crap, they could have used some of the budget to hire a graphic design firm, and actually make them a logo.

There's no doubt that a legal battle is coming. It will involve the contractor, the insurer that issued the performance bond and maybe the architect (if the contractor claims it followed the specifications in the design). However, it seems like a cruel joke that a $60MM high school football stadium is failing less than two years after it opened.

The current superintendent has only been on the job for six weeks, so he is just echoing the comments of his board, legal counsel, and the previous super. Heck, they have a CFO who has been on the job for only two weeks and had board elections in which the board president won, but another incumbent lost handily.

The kicker is that only 70% of the stadium complex has been examined.

Unless there are serious code deficiencies involved, it seems to me that most of the liability would fall on the contractor in this case. The architect and contractor are both hired by the client, but unless the client is dealing with a design/build entity, the architect and contractor are not contractually bound to each other. Ultimately, the architect is an agent of the owner, but the contractor takes on the liability for construction most of the time.

QPR%20Sig.png

Unless there are serious code deficiencies involved, it seems to me that most of the liability would fall on the contractor in this case. The architect and contractor are both hired by the client, but unless the client is dealing with a design/build entity, the architect and contractor are not contractually bound to each other. Ultimately, the architect is an agent of the owner, but the contractor takes on the liability for construction most of the time.

Construction defects do usually fall on the contractor. However, if the contractor can establish that it used the specified material and that the material/specification was incorrect/deficient, it may be able to deflect responsibility back to the architect.

I am not saying that is the case here. I am just raising it as a possibility.

Archived