NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

Here's an article from Bleacher Report regarding the possible team name change for the Redskins. There's some concept work you may have seen here on CCSLC included; notably from Brandon Moore.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2101396-potential-new-names-for-the-washington-redskins

The only name on that list that I would accept is "Skins" and I agree with "Ark" as the Warriors name sucks.

spacer.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were Snyder, and was forced to change the name, I'd simply have no name. Keep uni, helmet, etc but just be Washington. Or could take a page from soccer and simply be Washington FC. To change to any other nickname I think would hurt the brand too much.

What about Indians? Except make both endzones say Washington. "Redskins" could still be an unofficial nickname used by fans if they so choose. -Hey how are the Redskins gonna do this year? Pretty bad dude...

Hell, you could still even sell shirts with "Redskins" on it probably. Teams sell shirts with unofficial "nicknames" right?? War Eagle, Wahoos, etc, all that.

If you check them out in a football preview magazine or on a box score it'll say Washington Indians tho. But around the stadium, they could avoid using Indians altogether much like how the Wizards avoid using their little wizard logo.

90758391980.gif

If I were Snyder, and was forced to change the name, I'd simply have no name. Keep uni, helmet, etc but just be Washington. Or could take a page from soccer and simply be Washington FC. To change to any other nickname I think would hurt the brand too much.

For some reason. I doubt the NFL would let them go without any nickname at all.

What about Indians? Except make both endzones say Washington. "Redskins" could still be an unofficial nickname used by fans if they so choose. -Hey how are the Redskins gonna do this year? Pretty bad dude...

Hell, you could still even sell shirts with "Redskins" on it probably. Teams sell shirts with unofficial "nicknames" right?? War Eagle, Wahoos, etc, all that.

If you check them out in a football preview magazine or on a box score it'll say Washington Indians tho. But around the stadium, they could avoid using Indians altogether much like how the Wizards avoid using their little wizard logo.

I think this is the worst way to go. Hiding from an identity is a terrible idea. If the Redskins were to change their name, I would want the franchise to get behind the change and alter the identity to fit the change. Choosing a name like Indians, Warriors, or Braves (names already used) is just so half-ass that I don't even think the change would be worth doing. If fans are still going to refer to them as the Redskins, and merchandise still says Redskins, their was no point in changing.

The team should either go with an Indian tribe or person relevant to the area (Redclouds was an example I saw that honors a particular Native American) or a complete change, going with a name like Sentinels or Senators.

I think this is the worst way to go. Hiding from an identity is a terrible idea. If the Redskins were to change their name, I would want the franchise to get behind the change and alter the identity to fit the change. Choosing a name like Indians, Warriors, or Braves (names already used) is just so half-ass that I don't even think the change would be worth doing. If fans are still going to refer to them as the Redskins, and merchandise still says Redskins, their was no point in changing.

The team should either go with an Indian tribe or person relevant to the area (Redclouds was an example I saw that honors a particular Native American) or a complete change, going with a name like Sentinels or Senators.

Why would Redclouds be any different than Indians, Warriors, or Braves then? You could just copy and paste what I put in my first post, but replace "Indians" with "Redclouds"... it would be the exact same thing that you say is the worst way to go.

90758391980.gif

Honestly, something like Potomacs or Warriors is the best bet. Redskins fans go on and on about honouring the team's history. And there is a lot to honour. So I would rather them adopt a name that would allow them to keep as much of their traditional identity intact as possible. The racist slur of a name is removed, and the team's overall brand and tradition is minimally affected.

That's the point of Washington FC.

The local nickname would still be "Redskins".

Such a devious plan it just might work...

Why would Redclouds be any different than Indians, Warriors, or Braves then? You could just copy and paste what I put in my first post, but replace "Indians" with "Redclouds"... it would be the exact same thing that you say is the worst way to go.

Because Indians is bland, Indians is already used by a professional sports team, and the nickname Indians is probably next on the chopping block of name changes in the sports world. Sure, it's not as bad as Redskins. But nobody thought the nickname Redskins would be under this much threat 10 years ago. Redclouds has local significance, it's a unique name, and it cannot be attacked by..well.. whatever/whoever you want to call them.

But nobody thought the nickname Redskins would be under this much threat 10 years ago.

Ten years ago was only one year removed from the Redskins' successfully appealing the first attempt to strip them of their trademarks. Which they only won on a technicality. The Redskins' name was very much under fire ten years ago.

But nobody thought the nickname Redskins would be under this much threat 10 years ago.

Ten years ago was only one year removed from the Redskins' successfully appealing the first attempt to strip them of their trademarks. Which they only won on a technicality. The Redskins' name was very much under fire ten years ago.

To the point it is now? Not nearly. Sure, there was pressure. But this kind of movement wasn't nearly the movement it is now.

To the point it is now? Not nearly. Sure, there was pressure. But this kind of movement wasn't nearly the movement it is now.

Thank social media. :rolleyes:

Thank social media. :rolleyes:

Or people coming to their senses that naming a sports team after a perceived ethnicity's skin tone is a f-ing stupid idea for a nickname. One created by a noted bigot no less.

Such a devious plan it just might work...

It's the "I'M NOT TOUCHING YOU!!!" brand of ethnic sensitivity. Leaving the team without a nickname, but keeping everything else the same is leaving a branding vacuum. It's so schmucky, I wouldn't be surprised if Dan Snyder did it.

Washington Warriors without the Native American theme is solid. Keep everything except the NA images. A lot of skins fans have seem to warm up to this name with it's connection to the use of "warpath" in the Redskins fight song.

Archived