NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

I hated the warriors name when floated as a replacement years ago but have really come around to it as of late. I think it would work well and honor all parties. Would it be acceptable if they were to become the warriors to use the old spear logo and throwbacks that went with it? Just get rid of the name and the Indian logo?

redskins_tb.jpeg

redskins2_display_image.jpg

Those uniforms are AMAZING. They may be the best.

I wish they were used as throwbacks.

Just... man, that stirs somethin' up in ya.

Agree they are great BUT you can't get over the fact that it's a more well know look for FSU. I'd like to see these but replace the spear with their current logo.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hated the warriors name when floated as a replacement years ago but have really come around to it as of late. I think it would work well and honor all parties. Would it be acceptable if they were to become the warriors to use the old spear logo and throwbacks that went with it? Just get rid of the name and the Indian logo?

redskins_tb.jpeg

Agree they are great BUT you can't get over the fact that it's a more well know look for FSU. I'd like to see these but replace the spear with their current logo.

That color scheme is far superior to their current yellow and cardinal scheme.

redskins_tb.jpeg

Ughhh, not to be that guy (I hate being that guy) but my body isn't letting me not-correct this. My head is saying "stop it! No one cares" but my fingers are saying it has to be said. I can't stop this.

It's... (can't stop it)... burgundy (I've already started, just gotta rip the band-aid off now) and gold

90758391980.gif

I think the current color scheme burgundy/red/what-have-you and yellow is far superior to the throwback set. It's certainly in line with the millennial "let's make everything dark" theme in the NFL, but it's not an improvement. I like the lighter red and yellow instead of gold. Those uniforms weren't bad, but I think they get an unwarranted amount of love around these parts.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Ughhh, not to be that guy (I hate being that guy) but my body isn't letting me not-correct this. My head is saying "stop it! No one cares" but my fingers are saying it has to be said. I can't stop this.

It's... (can't stop it)... burgundy (I've already started, just gotta rip the band-aid off now) and gold

I hear ya.

However, most people don't know that in the '70s and '80s, both the Redskins and the Cardinals WORE THE EXACT SHADE OF RED.

Redskins called it "Burgundy", the Cardinals called it "Cardinal Red". It was this:

PMS_202_C_SRGB.png

Over the years, both teams modified their color and they are now different.

------------------------------------

Oh hell....it's now this:

PMS_195_C_SRGB.png

vs.

PMS_194_C_SRGB.png

redskins_tb.jpeg

I think the current color scheme burgundy/red/what-have-you and yellow is far superior to the throwback set. It's certainly in line with the millennial "let's make everything dark" theme in the NFL, but it's not an improvement. I like the lighter red and yellow instead of gold. Those uniforms weren't bad, but I think they get an unwarranted amount of love around these parts.

I agree. It's strange, since they're quite obviously "faux-backs" in the sense that Washington never wore this uniform in the past, and generally, that sort of "inspired-by-but-only-kinda" thing is frowned upon around here. I think an actual throwback to the Sonny Jurgensen uniform this one references would be miles better.

On this one, I can't get past the non-matching sleeve and sock stripes. And I think the way the spear is sort of ham-fistedly floated in the middle of the sleeve stripe looks dopey. (Stripes on the sleeve, great. Logo on the sleeve, OK. Both... no thanks.) And I absolutely agree with the Roman about the colors... their current color scheme is much more lively and interesting IMO.

I agree. It's strange, since they're quite obviously "faux-backs" in the sense that Washington never wore this uniform in the past, and generally, that sort of "inspired-by-but-only-kinda" thing is frowned upon around here. I think an actual throwback to the Sonny Jurgensen uniform this one references would be miles better.

On this one, I can't get past the non-matching sleeve and sock stripes. And I think the way the spear is sort of ham-fistedly floated in the middle of the sleeve stripe looks dopey. (Stripes on the sleeve, great. Logo on the sleeve, OK. Both... no thanks.) And I absolutely agree with the Roman about the colors... their current color scheme is much more lively and interesting IMO.

Well, their current look has mismatching helmet, sleeve, pant AND sock stripes...

I hear ya.

However, most people don't know that in the '70s and '80s, both the Redskins and the Cardinals WORE THE EXACT SHADE OF RED.

Redskins called it "Burgundy", the Cardinals called it "Cardinal Red". It was this:

PMS_202_C_SRGB.png

PMS_195_C_SRGB.png

vs.

PMS_194_C_SRGB.png

Given that in live action and on textiles cardinal/crimson/garnet/burgundy are virtually indistinguishable to the average human eye and cardinal is the most common name for dark red, calling their colors cardinal and yellow is accurate. If people want to buy into the marketing scheme of burgundy and gold that's their prerogative.

Well, their current look has mismatching helmet, sleeve, pant AND sock stripes...

Yup. And I'm not a fan of that, either.

Add me to the list of those who just don't quite get all the love for those Redskins fauxbacks

Here's a couple of actually uniforms Washington wore in the Spear-on-helmet era. IMO both are far superior to the Spurrier-era fauxback. Colors are nicer, stripes match. You can see that the second one is the uniform the fauxback was referencing, but I've never been sure why they just didn't match it. Neither of these two uniforms make me think of Florida State in any way.

sonny_jurgensen_1967_10_01.jpgmRp7vU6ZDSgc5zageR0xd2Q.jpg

I hear ya.

PMS_202_C_SRGB.png

PMS_195_C_SRGB.png

vs.

PMS_194_C_SRGB.png

Given that in live action and on textiles cardinal/crimson/garnet/burgundy are virtually indistinguishable to the average human eye and cardinal is the most common name for dark red, calling their colors cardinal and yellow is accurate. If people want to buy into the marketing scheme of burgundy and gold that's their prerogative.

You must think the Dolphins wear teal, too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I hear ya.

PMS_202_C_SRGB.png

PMS_195_C_SRGB.png

vs.

PMS_194_C_SRGB.png

You must think the Dolphins wear teal, too.

Nope but i don't get fooled by color names dreamt up by marketing departments or branding teams. In practical terms, the average human simply cannot discern color difference that well. Additionally manufacturing these nuanced colors into fabric for merchandise and uniforms is incredibly difficult (paint is a different story) so regardless of what shade of dark red uniform your team wears it will look nearly identical to a shade slightly darker or lighter. Lastly I refer to the actual uniform and apparel industry; just go check out the nike team catalog and you'll see that they offer maybe 20 colors (that includes white, gray, and black) if you're lucky. That basic palette will cover the color requirements for 95% of the sports teams out there.

People just aren't as good at telling colors apart as they think so why bother pretending that your teams' colors are so unique? People love being marketed to and feeling that they're special I suppose.

The Jags initially were not going for a two-tone helmet, but a black to gold gradient to represent some sort of shadow (I forget the BS reason they gave). And the rumors were that the two-tone finished product was not exactly what the team was trying to achieve. Whether it was sloppy production or whatever, it wasn't what they intended.

So would it count as an actual 'change' if the Jags release a slightly improved helmet this year that was closer to what they initially wanted?

Where did you hear that this is not the way they intended the helmet to look? Even though I'm not a fan of it, Im pretty sure they wouldn't sign off on something they didn't like.

The Jags initially were not going for a two-tone helmet, but a black to gold gradient to represent some sort of shadow (I forget the BS reason they gave). And the rumors were that the two-tone finished product was not exactly what the team was trying to achieve. Whether it was sloppy production or whatever, it wasn't what they intended.

So would it count as an actual 'change' if the Jags release a slightly improved helmet this year that was closer to what they initially wanted?

The team is using the exact same design as last year.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Where did you hear that this is not the way they intended the helmet to look? Even though I'm not a fan of it, Im pretty sure they wouldn't sign off on something they didn't like.

The official NFL graphics (posted by Colorwerx) look significantly different from what the actual on-field helmets look like.

JacksonvilleJaguars_HRS0100a_2013_SCC_SR

Archived