NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

Because there are tons of oil derricks in Tennessee...

Because there are tons of titans in Tennessee...

The Titans were from Greek mythology and Nashville has connections to ancient Greece, including an annual Greek festival and a replica of the Parthenon.

This. I'm glad the Oilers name was dropped as it had nothing to do with Nashville or the state. Could you imagine the stupidty of the Kansas City Texans? Why the Jazz and Lakers have kept their names blows my mind.

I would go far to say that the Calgary Flames should have changed their name as well.

spacer.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Titans were from Greek mythology and Nashville has connections to ancient Greece, including an annual Greek festival and a replica of the Parthenon.

This. I'm glad the Oilers name was dropped as it had nothing to do with Nashville or the state. Could you imagine the stupidty of the Kansas City Texans? Why the Jazz and Lakers have kept their names blows my mind.

I would go far to say that the Calgary Flames should have changed their name as well.

I never knew this: ".....the team the "Flames" after the fire resulting from the March to the Sea in the American Civil War by General William Tecumseh Sherman, in which Atlanta was nearly destroyed. They played home games in the Omni Coliseum in downtown Atlanta." Wow! I can't believe they kept the name after moving when it carries so much revelance to Atlanta. I hate when teams do this. I never mind teams that move and keep their names when they can be universal such as the Braves, but when it is purposely named for something about the original city or region, then it should stay there and the team creates a new image at their next locaton.

I never knew this: ".....the team the "Flames" after the fire resulting from the March to the Sea in the American Civil War by General William Tecumseh Sherman, in which Atlanta was nearly destroyed. They played home games in the Omni Coliseum in downtown Atlanta." Wow! I can't believe they kept the name after moving when it carries so much revelance to Atlanta. I hate when teams do this. I never mind teams that move and keep their names when they can be universal such as the Braves, but when it is purposely named for something about the original city or region, then it should stay there and the team creates a new image at their next locaton.

I believe Nelson Skalbania kept the name when he moved them to Calgary because he felt it tied into the oil industry there, where you could see flames in the refineries. Somewhat of a stretch maybe, but IMHO it's better than Atlanta being named that after the thing that destroyed the City previously. At least in Calgary, the connotation was somewhat positive.

Blarg. Enough Orwellian revisions. I like the Oilers' identity but I'd prefer it stayed alive in Tennessee.

The Houston Texans have a solid identity as it is anyway. Would be a shame to kill that so they can pretend they're the original Oilers.

As opposed to staking claim to an NFL nickname that was used previously be a team located in Dallas? Ummm...ok.
No one's pretending the Houston Texans are a continuation of either of the two Dallas Texans franchises. Yet if you named them the Oilers you can bet they'd take the records that rightfully belong to the Tennessee Titans.

Not many changes for 2014 - outside of the Bucs.

One team however, is adding a third set of pants to be (presumably) worn with an already-existing alt. jersey.

Not sure if I can spill the beans yet...

One team however, is adding a third set of pants to be (presumably) worn with an already-existing alt. jersey.

Monochrome powder blue Chargers? Monochrome orange Broncos?

I actually really like the Jags look except for 2 things:

1) The teal shoulders on the black jerseys. I think that look works when the shoulders are a darker color (like the white jersey especially). On the black jersey, I wish they would've just made them black.

2) Two-toned helmet. Just doesn't work, especially fading glossy to matte.

Monochrome powder blue Chargers? Monochrome orange Broncos?

Broncos orange jersey isn't an alt :)

Oh yea, thank goodness!

So:

Monochrome powder blue Chargers?

Monochrome black Eagles?

Monochrome teal Jaguars?

I'm dreading thinking of all-black Eagles with that green helmet. Yuck!

I actually really like the Jags look except for 2 things:

1) The teal shoulders on the black jerseys. I think that look works when the shoulders are a darker color (like the white jersey especially). On the black jersey, I wish they would've just made them black.

2) Two-toned helmet. Just doesn't work, especially fading glossy to matte.

The only thing I dislike is that helmet. An all-black helmet with their current uniforms is a great look.

Blarg. Enough Orwellian revisions. I like the Oilers' identity but I'd prefer it stayed alive in Tennessee.

The Houston Texans have a solid identity as it is anyway. Would be a shame to kill that so they can pretend they're the original Oilers.

As opposed to staking claim to an NFL nickname that was used previously be a team located in Dallas? Ummm...ok.
No one's pretending the Houston Texans are a continuation of either of the two Dallas Texans franchises. Yet if you named them the Oilers you can bet they'd take the records that rightfully belong to the Tennessee Titans.
Why would you assume that? The NFL stomped all over the idea of an Oilers 2.0 possibility by "retiring" the nickname, but the Texans is ok a third time around? C'mon...

Why would you assume that? The NFL stomped all over the idea of an Oilers 2.0 possibility by "retiring" the nickname, but the Texans is ok a third time around? C'mon...

Actually yes it is. The Texans are loved in Houston. They have a great logo and really good uniforms.

The NFL stomped all over the idea of an Oilers 2.0 possibility by "retiring" the nickname, but the Texans is ok a third time around? C'mon...

I've long criticized "Texans" as being a profoundly stupid name, but the parallel you're trying to draw doesn't work.

The NFL doesn't sell "Dallas Texans" merchandise (from either club). They still sell Houston Oilers stuff, though. There's a reason not to put the name back in circulation.

Teams with 2 sets of pants and an alternate jersey currently:

Ravens

Bears

Bengals

Browns

Broncos

Jaguars

Eagles

Browns are changing in 2015 and are unlikely to add pants for one year, and the Broncos alt already has a matching set of pants, so I struck them from the running.

Ravens could add purple pants to pair with their black alt.

Bears could add another set of pants to pair with their Orange throwback, but it's doubtful.

Bengals adding orange pants? No.

Jags adding pants already? Probably not.

Eagles adding black or gray pants for the black alt? Plausible.

edit: Scooped as I type!

Archived