NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw this thread and highlights from that game. Puke. The Buccaneers and Jaguars have ruined their identities top to bottom while their perfect looks have been shat on and left in the past. It's tragic.

That new Tampa Bay logo is such a downgrade it physically makes me angry. The old one looks like it was lifted off a treasure map. The new one looks like something on generic pirate themed stuff you'd find a party supplies store.

The old one was such a downgrade from the original it had the same effect on me in 1997.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

Not many changes for 2014 - outside of the Bucs.

One team however, is adding a third set of pants to be (presumably) worn with an already-existing alt. jersey.

Not sure if I can spill the beans yet...

Hmmm. Cleveland has been wearing orange jerseys in TC as reward for the unit that did the best the previous day in 11 on 11. Maybe they're bringing back orange jerseys and pairing them with orange pants to test an orange mono look for the fans?

Not many changes for 2014 - outside of the Bucs.

One team however, is adding a third set of pants to be (presumably) worn with an already-existing alt. jersey.

Not sure if I can spill the beans yet...

Hmmm. Cleveland has been wearing orange jerseys in TC as reward for the unit that did the best the previous day in 11 on 11. Maybe they're bringing back orange jerseys and pairing them with orange pants to test an orange mono look for the fans?

That sounds terrible

Go A's!

Eagles black pants is about the worst idea ever.

I think they'd look less bad with the green jerseys as opposed to being mono black below the dome.

My original thought was that it was the Cardinals, but if the eagles hints are true, this is just awful.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Since the Browns have been wearing the brown shorts with orange stripes I would not be shockded to see them add those orange stripes to those horrible brown pants.

Niners have black shorts for TC as well. Bears have orange shorts. Highly doubt these shorts are indicators for uniforms.

Go A's!

The NFL stomped all over the idea of an Oilers 2.0 possibility by "retiring" the nickname, but the Texans is ok a third time around? C'mon...

I've long criticized "Texans" as being a profoundly stupid name, but the parallel you're trying to draw doesn't work.

The NFL doesn't sell "Dallas Texans" merchandise (from either club). They still sell Houston Oilers stuff, though. There's a reason not to put the name back in circulation.

Well, of cour$e the NFL $till $ells Hou$ton Oiler$ $tuff.

The NFL stomped all over the idea of an Oilers 2.0 possibility by "retiring" the nickname, but the Texans is ok a third time around? C'mon...

I've long criticized "Texans" as being a profoundly stupid name, but the parallel you're trying to draw doesn't work.

The NFL doesn't sell "Dallas Texans" merchandise (from either club). They still sell Houston Oilers stuff, though. There's a reason not to put the name back in circulation.

So you do understand why the Texans shouldn't have been given the "Oilers" name.

So you do understand why the Texans shouldn't have been given the "Oilers" name.
I'm perplexed as to why you think it's perfectly acceptable for one franchise to essentially kill a nickname (Oilers) so no one else can use it while at the same time re-naming their team after a name that had been previously used by another team (Titans). What could have been so disastrous about Oilers being a potential name choice for an expansion team in Houston?

Because titans fit Tennessee, oilers dont what's so difficult about that

What's so difficult about being able to folllow along? I'm not arguing why Tennessee didn't KEEP the name Oilers! My point has been that the name Oilers didn't need to be permanently mothballed by the NFL. If you're gonna take the name Titans from a team that used to be called that, why throw a hissy-fit because someone might want to use Oilers again someday in Houston?

Because (from what I understand) the Titans were terrible and nobody misses them. That's kind of important in these matters.

Objection - speculation.

The franchise was sold after 1962 and the new owners chose to re-name the team. Jets was chosen (Borros, Gothams, and Dodgers were the three other possible nicknames). Jets was chosen because of the newness of air travel and the team was moving to Shea Stadium which was located between LaGuardia and Idlewild airports.

I'm perplexed as to why you think it's perfectly acceptable for one franchise to essentially kill a nickname (Oilers) so no one else can use it while at the same time re-naming their team after a name that had been previously used by another team (Titans). What could have been so disastrous about Oilers being a potential name choice for an expansion team in Houston?

The number of people who would have wanted the Oiler nickname back in Houston was extremely small. The brand was poisoned here, and there was definitely a feeling of "good riddance" once the team got a new name.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived