NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

But then the swoosh wouldn't be as prominent.

Even if they did that, I'm not sure they could fit the Steelers' stripes on the vestigal sleeves.

Well, Nike felt free to place their swoosh within a design element on Seattle's jersey. Would anybody consider this a viable solution?

strps_zps0e00bfe1.png

I actually like that solution.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let's kill the political discussion right now. There's no reason a discussion about the placement of stripes and the Nike logo needs to turn into a discussion about state's rights.

Texans is still a dumb nickname.

I equate the Houston Texans' nickname to the Minnesota Wild's nickname. Both are terrible, but both were salvaged by really strong logos and uniforms. Both then started unnecessarily tinkering with their looks. Though the Wild more so then the Texans.

Even if they did that, I'm not sure they could fit the Steelers' stripes on the vestigal sleeves.

Well, Nike felt free to place their swoosh within a design element on Seattle's jersey. Would anybody consider this a viable solution?

strps_zps0e00bfe1.png

It would unclutter the jerseys a little, but I'm not a fan. The jersey color is more of a blank space, so the logos don't seem as grating there. Putting the swoosh in the middle of the teams' striping patterns seems almost like Nike is making its territory to me. I think it's more egregious.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

strps_zps0e00bfe1.png

It would unclutter the jerseys a little, but I'm not a fan. The jersey color is more of a blank space, so the logos don't seem as grating there. Putting the swoosh in the middle of the teams' striping patterns seems almost like Nike is making its territory to me. I think it's more egregious.

Yet Reebok did this...

Washington+Redskins+v+San+Francisco+49er

I agree. Throwing the Nike logo into a team's uniform design just doesn't work and conveys the wrong message.

Go A's!

strps_zps0e00bfe1.png

Yet Reebok did this...

I agree. Throwing the Nike logo into a team's uniform design just doesn't work and conveys the wrong message.

Those are the throwback which may have given them more creative license but I believe that they did apply their logo placement more liberally. Bengals come to mind as an example.

strps_zps0e00bfe1.png

The problem with this is that the stripes have become de facto logos for those teams - especially the Steelers. Since the stripes are essentially just the size of logo patches on the "sleeves" (lower shoulders, really) of the jerseys, they are more like a logo than just a design element.

Putting Nike's swoosh right on top of the Steelers stripes actually IMO isn't much different than Nike replacing the diamond things on their logo with little red, blue, and yellow swooshes.

It takes logo creep and extends it to brand creep.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The NFL stomped all over the idea of an Oilers 2.0 possibility by "retiring" the nickname, but the Texans is ok a third time around? C'mon...

I've long criticized "Texans" as being a profoundly stupid name, but the parallel you're trying to draw doesn't work.

The NFL doesn't sell "Dallas Texans" merchandise (from either club). They still sell Houston Oilers stuff, though. There's a reason not to put the name back in circulation.

Well, of cour$e the NFL $till $ells Hou$ton Oiler$ $tuff.
So you do understand why the Texans shouldn't have been given the "Oilers" name.
I'm perplexed as to why you think it's perfectly acceptable for one franchise to essentially kill a nickname (Oilers) so no one else can use it while at the same time re-naming their team after a name that had been previously used by another team (Titans). What could have been so disastrous about Oilers being a potential name choice for an expansion team in Houston?

Because Bud Adams coined the Houston Oilers name and still owned the Titans at the time. If he wants to keep it, he can.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The NFL stomped all over the idea of an Oilers 2.0 possibility by "retiring" the nickname, but the Texans is ok a third time around? C'mon...

I've long criticized "Texans" as being a profoundly stupid name, but the parallel you're trying to draw doesn't work.

The NFL doesn't sell "Dallas Texans" merchandise (from either club). They still sell Houston Oilers stuff, though. There's a reason not to put the name back in circulation.

So you do understand why the Texans shouldn't have been given the "Oilers" name.
I'm perplexed as to why you think it's perfectly acceptable for one franchise to essentially kill a nickname (Oilers) so no one else can use it while at the same time re-naming their team after a name that had been previously used by another team (Titans). What could have been so disastrous about Oilers being a potential name choice for an expansion team in Houston?

Because Bud Adams coined the Houston Oilers name and still owned the Titans at the time. If he wants to keep it, he can.

Bud Admas is dead, homes.

I wonder why the NFL, MLB or NHL never followed the NBA's example of omitting the manufacturer logo from the uniforms? Clearly Nike (as well as Reebok/Adidas currently) has shown a willingness to accept that from the NBA in the past. The swoosh, Adidas' stripes and/or leaf & Reebok's thingy never made their way on to the NBA's game unis.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

strps_zps0e00bfe1.png

I don't dislike this

Bud Admas is dead, homes.

He wasn't when Houston got the expansion team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Tell us how you really feel chewbacca

Wonderbread, here's how I really feel. I don't like any of the Nike redesigns at all. When I mentioned the good things about them like how I said that I liked the idea of a simple jersey for the Dolphins and the lighter teal, I was listing the things that I didn't hate about their redesign. As for the Jaguars, I prefer their new look over the one it replaced but I still strongly dislike it, but that's me. When you compare both of these to the old Jaguar uniforms, there's just no comparison. They were fantastic.

Is there an NFL rule that says the Nike logo can't be on the chest ?

There must be a rule. Manufacturer logos have never been on the chest in the NFL - only in college. Looking through pictures of the 90s, and all brands (Wilson, Starter, Reebok, Apex, Nike, Puma, Logo Athletic, Adidas) had manufacturer logos on the sleeves.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Is there an NFL rule that says the Nike logo can't be on the chest ?

There must be a rule. Manufacturer logos have never been on the chest in the NFL - only in college. Looking through pictures of the 90s, and all brands (Wilson, Starter, Reebok, Apex, Nike, Puma, Logo Athletic, Adidas) had manufacturer logos on the sleeves.

Yes it is a rule, the nfl doesn't want it on the front to take away attention from the NFL shield

Yet Reebok did this...

I'd like to take a moment to point out how much better those are than what the Niners currently wear. The sleeve stripes make a huge difference, but so does the jersey being in a traditional football template instead of Nike's clownishness. Also, that shape of logo was better.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yet Reebok did this...

I'd like to take a moment to point out how much better those are than what the Niners currently wear. The sleeve stripes make a huge difference, but so does the jersey being in a traditional football template instead of Nike's clownishness. Also, that shape of logo was better.

The thicker pant stripes make a world of difference too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived