NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet Reebok did this...

Washington+Redskins+v+San+Francisco+49er

I agree. Throwing the Nike logo into a team's uniform design just doesn't work and conveys the wrong message.

I'd like to take a moment to point out how much better those are than what the Niners currently wear. The sleeve stripes make a huge difference, but so does the jersey being in a traditional football template instead of Nike's clownishness. Also, that shape of logo was better.

The horribly truncated sleeve stripes were a product of the reebok redesign not nike. How did moving to the nike template make their current set clownish?

I didn't say the sleeve stripes were Nike's fault. Either Reebok pitched them or someone in the SF front office got a raging clue and decided it was a brilliant idea. It was ported over to the Nike template. The Niners' sleeves are actually cut on a steeper angle than other teams' to make the stripes look reasonable. But yes, someone in the Niners' front office should have realized that the truncated stripes were a horrible idea and axed them at some point.

I didn't say their set looks clownish, just that they are using Nike's clownish template, which makes their jerseys look worse. Sleeves or not, the above picture is what a football jersey should look like. The Niners currently wear something more befitting Fox's Cleatus the football-playing robot.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I didn't say the sleeve stripes were Nike's fault. Either Reebok pitched them or someone in the SF front office got a raging clue and decided it was a brilliant idea. It was ported over to the Nike template. The Niners' sleeves are actually cut on a steeper angle than other teams' to make the stripes look reasonable. But yes, someone in the Niners' front office should have realized that the truncated stripes were a horrible idea and axed them at some point.

I didn't say their set looks clownish, just that they are using Nike's clownish template, which makes their jerseys look worse. Sleeves or not, the above picture is what a football jersey should look like. The Niners currently wear something more befitting Fox's Cleatus the football-playing robot.

What makes nike's template clowinsh? If you compare it to the russell/champion standard football jersey templates of 15 years ago I suppose you could argue that the nike templates are drastically not-traditional. I happen to think they've added much more consistency within each team compared to reebok though. The bengals are a perfect example of that. There was zero consistency of sleeves, stripe patterns, nameplate placement etc when they wore reebok/ripon. Nike cleaned up a lot of the mess that was out there. Sure the collars and flywire are polarizing but they're consistent at least.

On the topic of Nike...

I just want to say that regardless of the uniforms which are very much up for debate (some are improvements, some aren't), can we all agree that Nike does logos amazingly? I think every logo has pretty much been an upgrade

Seahawks Old: 7 New: 8

Vikings Old: 9 New: 9.3

Dolphins Old: 6.5 New: 7.5

Jaguars Old: 4 New: 7.5

Panthers Old: 5 New: 9

Bucs Old: 9.5 New: 9

On the topic of Nike...

I just want to say that regardless of the uniforms which are very much up for debate (some are improvements, some aren't), can we all agree that Nike does logos amazingly? I think every logo has pretty much been an upgrade

On the topic of Nike...

Wait how are you getting these numbers, are they your own rankings? And if so how does a slightly sleeker Panthers' logo bump it up 4 points?

Also the jersey manufacturer doesn't usually design actual logos. A third party or the NFL's in-house team does it.

On the topic of Nike...

Wait how are you getting these numbers, are they your own rankings? And if so how does a slightly sleeker Panthers' logo bump it up 4 points?

Also the jersey manufacturer doesn't usually design actual logos. A third party or the NFL's in-house team does it.

Yup... those aren't Nike logos, I'm pretty sure.

On the topic of Nike...

On the topic of Nike...

I can't agree that Nike does logos amazingly because they don't really do logos and even if they did the NFL's recent logo updates have been underwhelming at best.

The Seahawks logo was a minor color alteration from their 02-11 logo and I think it looks worse now than it did before. The Dolphins, Jaguars, and Buccaneers were a downgrade, small downgrade, and significant downgrade (that logo went from a 9 to a 3) respectively. The Panthers new logo still has flaws and never using a key line on it drives me nuts.

The only recent logo update that I prefer to the old logo is the Vikings and those changes aren't noticeable from a distance. It's hard to even call it an update. It's more like a small tinkering and I'd still like to make more changes to it (like making his damn helmet purple already).

PvO6ZWJ.png

On the topic of Nike...

No. The Bucs, Jags, and Dolphins' logos have all been downgrades, in my opinion. Florida NFL football used to look really good once. In the late 90s. Before the idiocy set in.

On the topic of Nike...

No. The Bucs, Jags, and Dolphins' logos have all been downgrades, in my opinion. Florida NFL football used to look really good once. In the late 90s. Before the idiocy set in.

I think the Dolphins new logos and uniform are the only true upgrade. The older logo is cartoony. Shadow numbers were dated (how many times on here did we ask for thinner drop shadows? like 10000). The new look needs more orange, but the logo is sleek and modern. I wasn't a big fan of the white facemask at first, and I still think it will change to aqua in a few years, but the helmet is pretty cool.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On the topic of Nike...

On the topic of Nike...

The Seahawks logo was a minor color alteration from their 02-11 logo and I think it looks worse now than it did before.
Totally agree on the Seahawks update!

On the topic of Nike...

On the topic of Nike...

Seahawks Logo - Downgrade

Vikings Logo - Push

Dolphins Logo - Major Downgrade

Jaguars Logo - Downgrade

Panthers Logo - Minor Upgrade

Bucs Logo - Major Downgrade

I disagree with the majority of your post, but to each their own.

spacer.png

On the topic of Nike...

On the topic of Nike...

Vikings Logo - Push

Jaguars Logo - Downgrade

You may consider the Vikings logo itself a "meh" update but there's no denying that the uniforms themselves are WAAAAAAY better than the previous travesty of piping everywhere from jersey to pants. MAJOR upgrade.

On the topic of Nike...

On the topic of Nike...

Vikings Logo - Push

Jaguars Logo - Downgrade

You may consider the Vikings logo itself a "meh" update but there's no denying that the uniforms themselves are WAAAAAAY better than the previous travesty of piping everywhere from jersey to pants. MAJOR upgrade.

My post was about logos only as that was the original post. Uniforms are a different story.

spacer.png

On the topic of Nike...

On the topic of Nike...

Vikings Logo - Push

Jaguars Logo - Downgrade

My post was about logos only as that was the original post. Uniforms are a different story.
My bad. It's late here in WI and my eyes are tired - I didn't read the post in question thoroughly enough.

On the topic of Nike...

I disagree with all your ranking. The Seahawks change was a color swap on a mediocre logo, and it made it more "bleh". The Vikings updated the Viking head, which was good. The Dolphins logo went from needing to be cleaned up to a being downright terrible. The Jaguars logo looks like an illustration from a children's book. The Panthers logo is better in some ways, but leaves much to be desired. The Bucs logo is atrocious. It took everything which made the old logo work and messed it up.

Furthermore, we don't know that Nike actually designed any of those logos.

I thought it was the 49ers choice to have their stripes like that.

Yes. Either them or Reebok hit some acid and decided it was a great idea. Nike didn't change anything in regards to their sleeve stripes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

i for one think the new bucs logo is more dynamic and less generic than the old one. The Dolphins new logo isn't horrible, (though it reminds me of a whale) i just still cannot believe they got rid off such a classic and iconic logo.

Archived