NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

The Colts really need to change up their mid-field logo and ditch the helmet, and just go to the horseshoe by itself or a horseshoe in the state outline of Indiana.

The facemask on the helmet looks ridiculous - looks like the same turf from several years ago only it was blue and then painted grey when the Colts switched facemask colors.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a reason so many home teams are wearing white this week?

I think the conventional wisdom for the early season games has been for the home team to either avoid wearing dark jerseys or to force the visiting team into dark jerseys, or both. The thinking is that the darker jerseys will be hotter than white.

Yet these Nike jersey are supposed to be so much lighter than the Reebok jerseys, therefore, wearing dark jerseys shouldn't be any different. Look at the Miami Hurricanes, they wear dark jerseys for home games, yet the Dolphins don't? They both wear the lighter Nike jerseys, but they still use the excuse of dark jerseys being hotter.
It's more superstition than being a scientific study

Yeah, I can't find a definitive answer. Even the people that study such things aren't always in agreement.

This is a topic that has been discussed by many people. Here is an article saying you should wear darker colors in the heat. The Mythbusters tested the theory of which car would be hotter in the sun, a black car vs a white car and here are the results:

After four hours into experiment the black car was 135 degrees, the white car was 126 degrees.

Fabric breathes, though, so I don't think the car experiment really applies.

Colts look silly for a team that plays in a sterile dome. It's a look that needs grass, dirt, and sunlight to pull off.

If the "Cleveland deal" was a thing back in the 80s, the Colts would have qualified.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Colts really need to change up their mid-field logo and ditch the helmet, and just go to the horseshoe by itself or a horseshoe in the state outline of Indiana.

The facemask on the helmet looks ridiculous - looks like the same turf from several years ago only it was blue and then painted grey when the Colts switched facemask colors.
if by a few you mean 13 years ago, before Lucas oil stadium was built, sure

I know it's Week 3, but this is the first time I've actually seen the Bucs new uniforms in action. Holy crap, those things are even more embarrassing than the play on the field tonight. While I like the BUCS wordmark on its own, how it's presented on the uniform causes it to get lost.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Colts look silly for a team that plays in a sterile dome. It's a look that needs grass, dirt, and sunlight to pull off.

If the "Cleveland deal" was a thing back in the 80s, the Colts would have qualified.

Lucas Oil Stadium isn't really a sterile dome. It doesn't have grass and dirt, but the way the roof opens up and the sun shines through makes it far less sterile than say, I dunno, any other dome.

1328308629-09454-127.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

if by a few you mean 13 years ago, before Lucas oil stadium was built, sure
I'm not up-to-date in the stadium turf-replacement schedule, but I know the Colts went back to grey facemasks ten years ago.

Lucas Oil Stadium isn't really a sterile dome. It doesn't have grass and dirt, but the way the roof opens up and the sun shines through makes it far less sterile than say, I dunno, any other dome.

1328308629-09454-127.jpg

How many games a season do the Colts open the roof? Two?

PvO6ZWJ.png

1328308629-09454-127.jpg

Before this season, they played with the rood open for 15 of 48 games. So two-to-three a year, plus preseason.

1328308629-09454-127.jpg

Before this season, they played with the rood open for 15 of 48 games. So two-to-three a year, plus preseason.

They should open it more than that if the skies are clear. Indianapolis doesn't get that cold until November or so.

I'm a big fan of Lucas Oil Stadium. From the outside it looks like a giant, old Indiana high school basketball gym.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I wish the NFL would mandate bicep-length sleeves. They care so much about on-field player image (you'll get fined if your calves show, etc.) but they don't care if huge linemen are wearing disgusting sleeveless jerseys.

What a stupid thing to mandate. They wear them like that so defensive players have nothing to grab onto. They have a practical reason for it and you want it mandated otherwise for aesthetic reasons. At the end of the day football is a game not a New York Fashion Week production. Kinda think that gets lost on some people here from time to time.

I wish the NFL would mandate bicep-length sleeves. They care so much about on-field player image (you'll get fined if your calves show, etc.) but they don't care if huge linemen are wearing disgusting sleeveless jerseys.

What a stupid thing to mandate. They wear them like that so defensive players have nothing to grab onto. They have a practical reason for it and you want it mandated otherwise for aesthetic reasons. At the end of the day football is a game not a New York Fashion Week production. Kinda think that gets lost on some people here from time to time.

In that case they should all be wearing teflon jumpsuits.

College football has essentially made it a New York Fashion Week production!

They are wearing white pants again, so I have to wonder if the green pants suffered the same fate as the jersey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Understandable as to how Nike can have Dallas' 50 Shades of Grey, but not the Eagles' midnight green. Inexcusable.

The cowboys' navy wasn't a metallic. Not sure what the deal is with the pants - they may exist and it's just team choice not to wear - or maybe they have last Years but the shade doesn't match the numbers on the new nike jerseys so they need to wait for nike pants.

I just hope nike does keep them metallic and doesn't force thm to be flat like the replica jerseys.

Actually maybe THATS the problem - they can obviously make midnight green fabric since they have replicas, so maybe they ARE working on making the metallic fabric that matches for the on-field version. That would make sense, especially if it was a late requirement from the team.

Archived