NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they're treating TNF games like some kind of special event that warrants special unis? SMH. That's not a good look for the league-- and likely not a good look for the teams playing

Given the program's lack of full acceptance among the traditional nfl audience in addition to the push back from internal parties I think the league has opted to make TNF a working laboratory for the league to make tweaks. If adding one off unis to the mix can drive some incremental viewership it seems very likely that the league will go for it at this point as they seem willing to do anything to turn a profit off this time slot.

I hope it's alternate helmets as well.

Don't hold your breath.

I'd say it's a 50/50 proposition. Given that it would be for the '16 season there's enough time for them to revise their one helmet sham policy based on either: additional medical research or new helmet technology thus allowing the league to gracefully back away without acknowledging there was no scientific/medical/logical basis for the policy to begin with. The only reason not to is that the league staunchly believes that the helmet (color to be precise) is by far the most important visual branding element for its franchises and no changes are to be made unless it's part of the official redesign process.

One thing I just noticed this past week was that the Packers have finally switched over to the Nike style of pants. They are still using the non nike (Ripon maybe?) template of jersey cut, and for the last 2 years with Nike (has it only been 2 years only?) they still wore their old style of pants, but now this year they have seemed to switched over to the Nike pants with the mesh in the stripes. Hard to tell, but if you click on the picture to enlarge you can see (especially on Flynn #10) that it's the new style. Didn't hear before this that they had.

temp141006-locker-room-8--nfl_mezz_1280_

^ and I will shed a tear if the Packers are forced to wear some Nikeified uniform when they play a Thursday night game

maybe they will do a throwback if that is allowed (which i hope teams that dont want an alternate will decide for)

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

It's hard to picture teams like Green Bay or Oakland indulging in that kind of nonsense. Like the Yankees' response to those horrific and silly TATC uniforms, I'm sure they'll just opt out.

Except that's been all out the window since George died. White bills, white panels, gaudy retirement patches...

@DanGrazianoESPN: Odd agenda item at NFL meetings: Proposal to require Nike-designed alternate uniforms for Thurs night games starting in '16.

https://twitter.com/DanGrazianoESPN/status/519559068063522818

If that were to happen, that might be the thing to finally push me away from the NFL.

It's hard to picture teams like Green Bay or Oakland indulging in that kind of nonsense. Like the Yankees' response to those horrific and silly TATC uniforms, I'm sure they'll just opt out.

If it's required as stated in the tweet, they wouldn't have a choice. And Nike wouldn't give them throwbacks. It might be "throwback inspired" pro combat-type crap like tOSU's giant clown stripe unis, but they would be highly templated and the epitome of Nike. I would hope it doesn't pass, but the fact that they would even vote on something so ridiculous shows just how much the NFL sucks.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

On the plus side, I foresee a golden age for Nike-fied NFL concepts over on the concepts forum.

I think that point passed the moment Fraser Davidson's pro combat photoshop template became available for widespread use, at which point practically the entire earth went hog-wild with it. This might incite a new wave of those, though.

Since we're discussing this and since the Packers came up, if they were to ever do this, this is about the extent of which I'd hope to see... /shameless plug

GBpackers_NPC_zpsld0nwsje.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On the plus side, I foresee a golden age for Nike-fied NFL concepts over on the concepts forum.

I think that point passed the moment Fraser Davidson's pro combat photoshop template became available for widespread use, at which point practically the entire earth went hog-wild with it. This might incite a new wave of those, though.

Since we're discussing this and since the Packers came up, if they were to ever do this, this is about the extent of which I'd hope to see... /shameless plugGBpackers_NPC_zpsld0nwsje.png
That looks too much like Notre Dame to me.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Archived