NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

They play sixteen games. No, teams shouldn't wear random crap for one of those. Teams which appear in a given look eight games per season (give or take) don't need to experiment or expand their identity in that way. If you think it's "boring" seeing a particular jersey 8 times a season, you should go to a doctor because you likely have ADD. The NFL currently allows one alternate per team, and that's fine outside of throwback seasons which necessitate white throwbacks. Teams playing sixteen games are afforded the luxury of being "out there" for one of them, and they certainly shouldn't be forced to be, as this proposal would do. Most teams have alternates already. This isn't about wearing alternates on Thursday nights, it's about getting more money from Nike to allow them to design whatever the hell they want because the teams would be forced to wear it.

I agree. Just like the proposed Thursday night alternates, the crappy Thursday night football will continue because no matter how bad the product is, people will watch it. That equals more $$$. These alternates will be the same. They will sell like hotcakes and bring in a lot of $$$.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They play sixteen games. No, teams shouldn't wear random crap for one of those. Teams which appear in a given look eight games per season (give or take) don't need to experiment or expand their identity in that way. If you think it's "boring" seeing a particular jersey 8 times a season, you should go to a doctor because you likely have ADD. The NFL currently allows one alternate per team, and that's fine outside of throwback seasons which necessitate white throwbacks. Teams playing sixteen games aren't afforded the luxury of being "out there" for one of them, and they certainly shouldn't be forced to be, as this proposal would do. Most teams have alternates already. This isn't about wearing alternates on Thursday nights, it's about the league getting more money from Nike to allow them to design whatever garish and outlandish crap they want because the teams would be forced to wear it. Like I said, this isn't tasteful throwbacks. This is half-assed fauxback pro combats and Pro Bowl uniforms.

Normally I'd side with the traditionalists for the sake of uniform brand equity. But there is absolutely no amount of harm one night out of sixteen games can do to anyone. Even if these uniforms suck, it gives us something to talk about rather than sitting here and saying yep, the Chiefs and Raiders look like they always have, yet again.

Midway.png

Even though the Monday Night Football franchise is largely a cesspool at this point, most teams don't appear on it in a given year. Each team plays at least one Thursday game, and for most teams, that's the only national exposure they'll get. So while I think it would be terrible for the Raiders to wear gradient chrome uniforms even once in their history, it would be especially egregious if their lone night of the year in front of the nation is spent in such random crap that was designed to highlight Nike's product line, and which wasn't instantly identifiable as being the Raiders. Having an established identity is a good thing. Non-diehards shouldn't have to ask who's playing a given night. "It's the Bears. See, they have a sublimated Sears Tower on the butt and the jersey has a sublimated fur pattern."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It's hard to picture teams like Green Bay or Oakland indulging in that kind of nonsense. Like the Yankees' response to those horrific and silly TATC uniforms, I'm sure they'll just opt out.

The reality of the situation is that I can see the Raiders having a chrome helmet or chrome facemask at the very least. They might be the only team in the NFL that can get away with it.

Something like this:

wgY5KMd.jpg

I actually really really like this.

GO NETS.

It's hard to picture teams like Green Bay or Oakland indulging in that kind of nonsense. Like the Yankees' response to those horrific and silly TATC uniforms, I'm sure they'll just opt out.

I dont get why traditional teams can't have a little "fun" with a uniform once in a while? If it's one game in one season, who cares?

I agree with this, as there is something to be said for "mixing it up" a little...but, the problem is that instead of designing tasteful, reasonable, well-thought-out alternates that respectfully represent the team (think Minnesota Vikings), Nike will most likely force insane "upgrades" that wreck a team's identity and represent nothing aside from Nike's "innovation" (think Tampa Bay Bucs).

Just like real life, "fun" must be balanced with reason. It's probably "fun" to hop in a car and drive like Need For Speed, but that doesn't make it a good idea. It's "fun" to play around with traditional looks, but that doesn't make it a good idea to go hog-wild with them. I don't trust Nike to understand that when designing these hypothetical "special" alternates, therefore I'd rather not see it come to pass.

To be fair, it most likely would depend on what the teams ask for. I'm sure some teams would ask for the full Nike treatment, whereas a team like the Packers or Giants would probably ask for a throwback or fauxback.

Hell, maybe teams could use this proposed program as a way of testing fan reactions to potential redesigns. Maybe if the current Jaguars and Bucs uniforms had been unveiled in advance as special alternates on a Thursday night game, the outcry would force Nike to come up with something more reasonable and palatable to fans.

I agree that the tnf game could be a great stage for a nike-nfl fashion show which could result in seeing some pretty interesting designs and much like the cfb pro combat series, some of those designs/elements could make it into full redesigns.

Also there's absolutely no way every team will be required to participate. People forget that these franchises are independently owned and operated and there are multiple instances of teams going against the league especially when it comes to visual branding/merchandising (e.g. cowboys & raiders). Granted it would be within the league's authority to fine a team for not participating in a sponsor's program but as long as it does not affect the actual play on the field, the franchisee has quite a bit of leverage.

Think about it... all of those horrible college uniforms are still approved by the school/coach/team. If NFL teams are REQUIRED to wear Nike alts, Nike has the teams over a barrel.

Just like the proposed Thursday night alternates, the crappy Thursday night football will continue because no matter how bad the product is, people will watch it. That equals more $$$. These alternates will be the same. They will sell like hotcakes and bring in a lot of $$$.

That's not true - I have been told by someone at the team that the Packers' throwbacks sell okay, but not great.

Think about it... all of those horrible college uniforms are still approved by the school/coach/team. If NFL teams are REQUIRED to wear Nike alts, Nike has the teams over a barrel.

Why are so many people assuming a requirement when there is zero indication of a requirement other than rampant speculation and innuendo via twitter? Is it more fun to express faux outrage that way?

Given the infancy of the proposal and past workings of the league and its nfl properties protocols it's pretty safe to say nobody has a f-ing clue as to what the finalized tnf alt uni program will look like. Maybe reactionary nutjobs should take a chill pill for a change. I'm assuming these are the same nutjobs that freaked when nike was going to completely change the league when the got the contract, that also think every piss poor photoshop concept is real and every reddit rumor is legit.

Just like the proposed Thursday night alternates, the crappy Thursday night football will continue because no matter how bad the product is, people will watch it. That equals more $$$. These alternates will be the same. They will sell like hotcakes and bring in a lot of $$$.

That's not true - I have been told by someone at the team that the Packers' throwbacks sell okay, but not great.

You're right about the traditional teams like the Packers. But I feel like, as bad as the alternates will probably be, the non traditional teams will have very popular uniforms.

You're right about the traditional teams like the Packers. But I feel like, as bad as the alternates will probably be, the non traditional teams will have very popular uniforms.

I think it has more to do with the design and navy/yellow than the fact that its a throwback. Conversely the bears throwbacks do pretty well. If the packers went with a green/yellow alt throwback, especially from the 60's it would do much better. Overall alts will be mostly a net positive, some may look horrible but there will be enough decent to good designs that will bring in that incremental $$$ that all parties want.

Why are so many people assuming a requirement when there is zero indication of a requirement other than rampant speculation and innuendo via twitter? Is it more fun to express faux outrage that way?

Given the infancy of the proposal and past workings of the league and its nfl properties protocols it's pretty safe to say nobody has a f-ing clue as to what the finalized tnf alt uni program will look like. Maybe reactionary nutjobs should take a chill pill for a change. I'm assuming these are the same nutjobs that freaked when nike was going to completely change the league when the got the contract, that also think every piss poor photoshop concept is real and every reddit rumor is legit.

how-to-win-friends.jpg

The reality of the situation is that I can see the Raiders having a chrome helmet or chrome facemask at the very least. They might be the only team in the NFL that can get away with it.

Something like this:

wgY5KMd.jpg

I wouldn't be opposed to this for one game. As long as they keep the rest of the uniform pretty much the same.

Granted IF the Raiders are worth featuring on TNF.

Something like this:

wgY5KMd.jpg

I wouldn't be opposed to this for one game. As long as they keep the rest of the uniform pretty much the same.

I would assume now that TNF started in week 1 this year for the first time then all 32 teams would have to appear in the 16 TNF games

Something like this:

wgY5KMd.jpg

Well given the theme this season of TNF games sucking, I think we got a good chance of being in a game next year.

Actually, we face the Chiefs this year on Thursday. Oh boy.

bSLCtu2.png

So, tweet says teams voting to start program requiring all teams to wear Nike-designed unis for TNF.

Posters: Umm,.. requiring? Nike designed? If this is passed, it's going to be really bad <- nutjobs

Guest23: You guys are nuts. Teams break league rules all the time and these unis are totally going to be awesome <- not a nutjob

OldRomanSig2.jpg

" I'm assuming these are the same nutjobs that freaked when nike was going to completely change the league when the got the contract..."

They came in guns blazing with Flywire and toilet seat collars. Then there's however much blame you want to assign to Nike for the Jags' and Bucs' uniforms. The Eagles are basically a black/white team, because Nike can't make dark green. Now, two years into their contract, an item comes up for vote that would "require" every team (since every team plays on Thursday) to wear a Nike alt. No, they're not trying to change the league at all! :rolleyes: It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you.

I would assume now that TNF started in week 1 this year for the first time then all 32 teams would have to appear in the 16 TNF games

All 32 teams play 1 Thursday game already. 13 Thursday night games, plus the 3 games on T-giving.

That will be the extent of TNF for years to come, with only 32 teams. Keeps everything equal so all 32 teams have to put up with a crappy Thursday game. No more and no less.

Archived