NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I apologize for being late to the party, but I just noticed the lack of consistency in the Vikings numbers this past week's game. What's the reason? It looks weird when you've got 33 and they're nothing alike.

They're supposed to look like this:

MinnesotaVikings_FUN3301_2013-9999_SCC_S

Anyone know the reason for this?

I apologize for being late to the party, but I just noticed the lack of consistency in the Vikings numbers this past week's game. What's the reason? It looks weird when you've got 33 and they're nothing alike.

Anyone know the reason for this?

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-and-Nike-Unveil-New-Uniforms-During-Teams-Annual-Draft-Party/9f3ccc73-b67d-4b9e-94b7-6ad4e395d447

Second paragraph. To imitate the bow of the ship.

Go A's!

For all the money that Jerreh Jones and the Cowboys have and generate, you'd think they could put a team out there in uniforms that weren't cheap looking.

The Cowboys uniforms are cheap and mixmatched. Blame whoever you want for that, but they are. From the faded collars and stripes to the 13 different colors they use, its just weird that a team could trot themselves out there looking so rag-tag all the time.

When is Jerreh going to do a rebrand? As money hungry as that guy is, you know how much dough that would generate for him and his team? A boat load. They might be able to look decent too, if they got it right.

They should have just switched to the updated double-star uniforms full-time back in the '90s. Yeah, they were gaudy and over-the-top, which is why they were absolutely perfect for the Cowboys.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

For all the money that Jerreh Jones and the Cowboys have and generate, you'd think they could put a team out there in uniforms that weren't cheap looking.

The Cowboys uniforms are cheap and mixmatched. Blame whoever you want for that, but they are. From the faded collars and stripes to the 13 different colors they use, its just weird that a team could trot themselves out there looking so rag-tag all the time.

When is Jerreh going to do a rebrand? As money hungry as that guy is, you know how much dough that would generate for him and his team? A boat load. They might be able to look decent too, if they got it right.

They should have just switched to the updated double-star uniforms full-time back in the '90s. Yeah, they were gaudy and over-the-top, which is why they were absolutely perfect for the Cowboys.

I have to think that Jerry wanted the double stars to be the team's new uniforms but somewhere along the line he got some push back from fans or somebody in the organization that told him he couldn't alter their traditional uniform so drastically. Why else would you launch a completely new look complete with a full line of apparel in the middle of a season and completely abandon the look after the season's end? Only other thing I can think of is that it was a test and they proved to not be as popular as he thought.

This is an example of where the numbers work OK (I still don't prefer it to just repeating the number on the right). I do kinda like how the serifs sort of engulf the curves on the second digit. But sometimes you get:

And then you have single-digit numbers that don't use it at all (the better choice). There is too much inconsistency.

I am OK with the sleeve stripes; the top one fits the jersey cut well. The only issue there is that the yellow stripe does not show up well on the white jersey. Maybe there should be some fill-in purple on either side of that on the white jersey.

Anyway, I know I am in the minority, but I think the new uniform is a bit of a downgrade, at least above the waist. (The old pants "blending" into the jersey were a disaster)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Do we have any examples of the Vikings accidentally switching the numbers or using a "second digit" number first or vice versa? Having unique first and second numbers for jerseys seems like an equipment manager's worst nightmare.

Do we have any examples of the Vikings accidentally switching the numbers or using a "second digit" number first or vice versa? Having unique first and second numbers for jerseys seems like an equipment manager's worst nightmare.

Only example I'm aware of is at the unveiling, where Chad Greenway had two "left" numbers.

temp1_2013UniReveal--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.

I have to think that Jerry wanted the double stars to be the team's new uniforms but somewhere along the line he got some push back from fans or somebody in the organization that told him he couldn't alter their traditional uniform so drastically. Why else would you launch a completely new look complete with a full line of apparel in the middle of a season and completely abandon the look after the season's end? Only other thing I can think of is that it was a test and they proved to not be as popular as he thought.

Wasn't it like an anniversary year or something like that?

I think the Vikings look better with the serifs on both numbers.

It was the '94 season so they had double star throwbacks and launched the modern double star in the middle of the season...kind of a mess really

Nike will hold blank jerseys for you and put the names and numbers on themselves, then send them to you. I'm sure some teams do it in house, but I bet a lot of them don't. Plus, it's really not that much of a hassle. Think of all the different versions of the same things in an equipment room already. A double set of numbers isn't that much more.

I don't know if anyone has noticed this (probably) but on the Cowboys' white uniforms, the blue stripes on the shoulders both have black outlines. This may bother some due to "inconsistency" you people bicker about, but I actually like it. I just wish it was used throughout the uniform.

I don't know if anyone has noticed this (probably) but on the Cowboys' white uniforms, the blue stripes on the shoulders both have black outlines. This may bother some due to "inconsistency" you people bicker about, but I actually like it. I just wish it was used throughout the uniform.

It's a nice little quirk on their uniform, and the socks had corresponding stripes until the mid-'90s (white stripes outlined in black). I don't want black anywhere else on their uniforms, but I don't hate it on those stripes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I always thought those stripes were navy. Makes the inconsistencies with the jerseys even worse that its black.

No, they're definitely black...

tony-romo.jpg

They predate navy as part of the Cowboys scheme.

roger_staubach.jpg

(Note the black stripes are there, as well as that nice subtle, but unique, number font.)

The navy was brought in in 1981 as part of a silly "break the curse" idea. Up until then, the Cowboys had a fairly consistent color palette. They started out in 1960 as a royal blue and white team, brought in a blueish silver in '64, and stayed that way for years. (Dark royal and metallic blue-silver was, and still should be, the perfect Cowboy color scheme IMO.) The owner also decided early on that by wearing white at home, and therefore pretty much all the time, they would become the most recognizable team in the TV era. Which worked, BTW.

During the late 70's it became popular for teams (famously the St. Louis Cardinals, who made a real game out of it) to force the Cowboys into their royal blue jersey. They had some purely coincidental loses in those jerseys (because magic isn't real, hillbilies) and it seemed to get in their heads. In 1980, they lost in Philly in the NFC championship to the Eagles, who wore white that day... I still have a heart warming visual in my memory of Danny White weeping on the bench. My mid-teen self loved it.

The next year, the Cowboys debuted a navy and silver when-were-forced-to uniform... I guess they chose navy because it had to be dark, but royal blue was, you know, cursed. But they obviously didn't want to meddle with their iconic white look. This made them the first team with one color scheme most of the time, and a completely different one once or twice a year. And further fiddling between these two looks has left them with the muddled multi-blues and grays they have today.

This is why I always advocate that Dallas clean up their color scheme be dropping all navy, all silver (and obviously that weird green) and stick with the totally awesome combo of dark royal and blue-silver. Because those are their colors! Everything else is a mistake brought about by dumbass superstition.

(By the way, I agree with the roman... the black trim is a neat little quirk, on its own. Everything else, color-wise? Yeesh.)

It's a nice little quirk on their uniform, and the socks had corresponding stripes until the mid-'90s (white stripes outlined in black). I don't want black anywhere else on their uniforms, but I don't hate it on those stripes.

The Roger Staubach era blue jerseys also had the black outlines on the sleeve stripes.

It was the '94 season so they had double star throwbacks and launched the modern double star in the middle of the season...kind of a mess really

1996, actually.

The Roger Staubach era blue jerseys also had the black outlines on the sleeve stripes.

Yep. And those were the perfect Cowboys jerseys. Honestly, just turn the clock back to 1970 on the Cowboys. I prefer the old number font, but could live with the current one. However, bring back the bluish-silver helmets, match the pants, and invert the blue and white from the primary jersey to make the road/alt. It's so simple. No navy. No greenish-silver. No double stars. No double outlines.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived