Your favorite player that didn't play for your favorite team

Tigers6884

Cool topic idea. At my age, this could be a pretty long list. I'm not as concerned about "favorite" teams as I used to be. My list mostly consists of players from my days as a more "hardcore" fan. In other words, the mid 70's thru the late 90's.

NFL:

Joe Montana

Keena Turner

Roger Craig

Jerry Rice

Ronnie Lott

Terry Bradshaw

John Stallworth

Drew Pearson

Jan Stenerud

Wilbur Marshall

Earl Campbell

NBA:

Julius Erving

Artis Gilmore

George Gervin

David Robinson

Lebron James

MLB:

Reggie Jackson

David Ortiz

Bernie Williams

Tony Perez

Joe Carter

Will Clark

NHL:

Mark Messier - when he was with the Oilers.

Mike Modano

Dominic Hasek

Billy Smith

Wendell Clark

Doug Weight

BB52Big.jpg

MLB:

• Kevin Millar: Millar has a great sense of humor and is a great motivator during his time in Beantown ("Cowboy Up" in 2003 and "Idiots" in 2004 during their championship season). He's the only player who's played for the Red Sox I like because he's too good to be hated.
  • Josh Hamilton: Even though he was drafted by the Rays organization, he has never played a game with them due to drug troubles. When he 28 home runs in the 2008 Home Run Derby and his comeback for drug abuse made me huge fan of him ever since. I've always wondered would've been if he didn't get in drug trouble and actually played for the Rays; maybe the Rays would've become competitive in the early 2000's instead of 2008 and the duo of him and Carl Crawford would've been something.
  • Chipper Jones: He's one of my all-time favorite players because he shows class whenever he plays and is an amazing switch hitter. He always showed the heart, grit, and leadership of a big-leaguer. He isn't an Atlanta Brave in my mind, he is the Atlanta Braves. He is a no-doubt first ballot HOF in my mind.

NFL:

• Mike Alstott: I know he doesn't get the respect he deserves, but he is just a constant in the Buccaneers organization and has been through the good (2002 Super Bowl) and bad (1996). In an era of free agency, it's hard to see players play for only one team and I commend him for doing that.
  • Brett Favre: One of my favorite NFL players because he commands respect every time he hits the field and for his durability. When I think about the Packers, I always think about Brett's arm. His durability though made me a fan of Brett because he is like the Cal Ripken Jr. (who's one of my favorite MLB players as well) of the NFL. I hope Green Bay retires his number one day (they probably won't) because he's a legend.

NBA:

• Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili: It's a shame these three are overlooked by the media and casual fans alike because I love the way they play basketball. Unlike Lebron and others showboating for SportsCenter highlights, these three play the game like it was meant to be by playing team basketball. That's why San Antonio has been so consistent the last 15 years, you can pencil them in. They play with class and IMHO, the best trio in NBA history right up with the 90's Bulls (PIppen, Jordan, and Rodman).

NHL:

• Martin Brodeur: Simply one of the best goalies in NHL history.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Since everybody's making list, here's mine:

NHL:

Mario Lemieux- Dude was a beast and had great hands for a big guy. The fact that he overcame cancer just paints a picture for you of tough he was.

Teemu Selanne- He was one of the cooler guys in the NHL. It'll be sad to not have him playing next season, because he was one most skilled and exciting players in league history.

NFL:

Joe Montana- Joe Cool, as he was affectionately referred to by fans, seemed to be as much of a good guy as he was a clutch player.

NBA:

Bill Russell- He was a great leader to his team, as evident by his 11 Championship rings.

MLB:

Randy Johnson- (Reasons previously listed)

Ted Williams- It makes me sad that I was never able to see him play (I was born WAY after he retired). He was the greatest hitter in MLB history (Miguel Cabrera is a very close second), and it would've been great to learn how to achieve his level of excellence by watching his hitting techniques. He has to go down as the greatest baseball player to never win a World Series.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Baseball - Dale Murphy, Nolan Ryan, Braves Starting staff of the 90's (Glavine, Maddox, Smoltz)

Basketball - Spud Webb, Dominique Wilkins

Football - Barry Sanders, Dan Marino

Hockey - Teemu, Patrick Roy, Ray Borque, Cam Neely, Al Iafrate

Current

NHL: Steven Stamkos

MLB: Justin Verlander

NFL: Johnny Manziel

NBA: Blake Griffin

Soccer (favorite teams Milan, Arsenal, and Bayern): Lionel Messi

Former

NHL: Wayne Gretzky

MLB: Ken Griffey Jr.

NFL: Jerry Rice

NBA: Michael Jordan

Soccer: Pele

Manziel hasn't even played one preseason game yet. He is already your favorite NFL player??

Current

Former

Manziel hasn't even played one preseason game yet. He is already your favorite NFL player??

No (good) reason to hate him yet.

Current

Former

No (good) reason to hate him yet.
There are plenty

• 4 weeks later...

College football- Brady Quinn, Jeff Samardzija

NFL- Peyton Manning*, Reggie Wayne*, Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Jerry Rice, Richard Sherman

NBA- Larry Bird (too young to ever watch him, but all the highlights I've ever watched make me wish I did)

*Colts are my 2nd favorite team

Untitled_zps5e4a382a.png

Archived