Honu (Green Sea Turtle) WIP

jeh-see

Okay guys, the volcanic look, as cool as it would've been, just didn't come out right, no matter how I tried. However, here are a few color combos I have tried and would appreciate your feedback. The background color would be a potential jersey color the crest would be sitting on, but definitely not final (that's what I need your help with). Yes I know I left the eyes yellow on a few that I shouldn't have, but I am running late for work and I will fix that tonight. Thanks guys!

Honu-3_zps5f46e458.jpgHonu-2_zps5753b584.jpg

The two I left in the quoted section are my favorites. If they are going to be the Green Sea Turtles, you'll need the green. But that blue would make a superb alternate jersey.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Honestly, I feel that you lost most of the momentum you had going when you made the move to vector. This final result isn't what it should have been with that awesome sketch of yours...

If I can give you some advice, I would ask you to ignore a lot of those fine details (the shadowing on the shell, the spots on the turtle, the hockey stick impression) you have going right now. It's bogging down the design in its current state. See if you can get the design to work in black and white first, then go back in and add the color and finer details.

Thank you guys for all the feedback. The actual name of the team is the Hawaii Honu, so, technically, there is no direct need for green to be in the logo. I included the "Green Sea Turtle" in my topic name just so people didn't go "WTF?!" wondering what "Honu" was. That is the Hawaiian name for the animal, that's all. I will post the final product, along with the secondary (optional for the poll) and wordmark (mandatory). The secondary will be a pineapple/turtle shell hybrid.

I have to agree with GFB on this. There is just too much detail, but that isn't it. Another issue is that there is just too much contrast between colors in most of your color combos so the head almost looks like a hollow goalie mask or something net-like. Only the final green turtle works since there is less color contrast.

There is also some inconsistency in shading techniques throughout different areas of the turtle. I will do my best to explain what I mean. You have two shades of green/blue/brown as the inner detail inside the black outline. On the fins and hockey stick fins, the darker color does not touch the black, and you have inner lines in that darker shade. However, on the head, the darker shade touches the black. Then on the shell, you use yet another method and black is used there to separate the different "panels" on the shell but on other areas, black isn't used like that. If black is used to separate the shell panels, then black can also be used to shade areas around the eyes in the head. Either way, you should pick one of the three methods of shading you are currently using, and stick to it throughout the entire logo. I also think you could simplify the color palette by just using black as the darker shade throughout the entire logo and eliminate all those second darker color shades.

That all being said. I am impressed with how you got the reptilian skin texture in there with the random square areas place in certain areas. Once you get the colors figured out, this will be much improved because this idea is full of potential.

You'd think that a "turtle with hockey-stick flippers" would look a little hokey...

But you've managed to execute the concept in a very subtle, successful way.

jaha32 is right re: the colouring...the shell looks "pasted-on" because of its different colour style.

I think that's why, IMO, the almost-monotone brown option of the original 6 looked the best in some ways.

Would love to see this in B&W.

With some tweaks to the colour scheme, this is a beauty logo!

As per request, a B&W version. On the version I chose to submit I did remove the shading on the shell. As much as I thought it added dimension to the shell, it did add an unnecessary color to the palette

Honu-bw_zps299de439.jpg

Final product for IceHL's Hawaii Honu. Head over to icethetics.co (no "m") and gimme and/or one of the other submissions some love.

Primary:

Honu-2_zps5753b584.jpg

Secondary:

Honu-Shoulder_zps31023485.jpg

Word:

Honu-Word_zpsd9b550db.jpg

Thanks for all the C&C throughout the project!

UniJ

GFB nailed it with the feedback and I cant help feeling you've missed a trick here. The last hand drawn sketch you posted was by far the best incarnation of the logo. There was subtle variation in the scales that make up the shell and it gave the logo character, when you went to vector you just divided up the shell with pen tool and suddenly all that character and individuality was gone, leaving the logo a little soulless in comparison to the sketch.
Don't get me wrong what you're left with is a good logo, but I cant help feeling it could have been so much better if you'd been true to your drawing at the vector stage.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived