C&C for ESCC Spain entry: Zezenak Iruña (Pamplona)

Whittier S

One of the challenges to doing the European Soccer Concept Cup contest (or similar contest on the forum) is that we don't really get a chance to ask for C&C here. That, I think, is part of the point of these contests, and why they're inherently difficult. The designer is forced to come up with their best work possible without any feedback before submitting.

So, I had some struggles with my entry for the Spain contest, seen here:

Zezenak1_zpsac315231.png

My biggest trouble was with the bull's head. As I explained in my rationale, I wanted to take the traditional lauburu design and add bull's heads. (It would have helped if I had done a more visual inspirational board, rather than just write out what I was trying to do--then folks would know what a lauburu is without having to Google. Lesson learnt for next time.) Of course, the trick is that a lauburu is two-dimensional whereas a bull's head--or at least how I conceived it--is three dimensional. And that's where my crest fell apart. I knew that as I submitted my entry, but without feedback, I didn't know how to fix it. Should I have depicted this image flatter or fuller? I don't know, so I'd like to hear what you think.

The face of the bull looks two-dimensional, but the addition of the horns on both sides of the head look three-dimensional. I had thought of leaving out the "back" horn but didn't think that looked correct.

I also struggled with the facial features. I looked over lots of reference photos (couldn't really find a single one that depicted exactly what I was going for). The outline of the bull's head looks oversimplified to me, yet when I looked at reference photos, the real heads really were that simple. And the facial details seem too simplified, as well, yet, again, a bull's face is really basic. I think perhaps a stroke along muzzle may have helped. I didn't even try it.

So, these are my thoughts and concerns on the design, and I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks.

rATMcmK.png

I'd agree on the away shirt's band - it doesn't tie in with the rest of the kit so it jars a fair bit. A green stripe would have looked better, I reckon.

Good use of local imagery and colours though, that's something I always like to see.

The bull heads didn't bother me that much, the gradient banding under the sponsor logo did. It just didn't fit on either kit IMO. I also don't care for all of the yellow piping on either kit. And a personal preference of mine are kits that are more unique in color choices. Maybe a third kit with completely different colors would have given a better overall look. Lastly, I think the stokes on the crest could definitely be heavier. It just doesn't come across as a sports logo to me with such thin stokes (specifically on the gold ring around the edge).

gYH2mW9.png

The bull heads didn't bother me that much, the gradient banding under the sponsor logo did. It just didn't fit on either kit IMO. I also don't care for all of the yellow piping on either kit. And a personal preference of mine are kits that are more unique in color choices. Maybe a third kit with completely different colors would have given a better overall look. Lastly, I think the stokes on the crest could definitely be heavier. It just doesn't come across as a sports logo to me with such thin stokes (specifically on the gold ring around the edge).

This helps so much. This was the first time I'd ever integrated a sponsor into a concept, so I was experimenting. One of the weird things was that when I put the sponsor logo against the plain black background, the logo for some reason showed up completely black. I attributed it to an Inkscape bug not handling the transparency. Yet when I put it against white, it did fine. What folks are saying about how to integrate the sponsor logo totally makes sense. And I knew I was playing it safe with the kits, and that a third would help. I had to jump through some crazy hoops to get the templates to work in Inkscape--I ended up having a friend convert it to a .pdf in Illustrator.

I was more confident in my UK concept, and I think it turned out better. But I think I'll try to integrate these suggestions in my Spain concept in the next day or two. Thanks for the help.

rATMcmK.png

You might also consider changing the clash sleeves and back to white. Both kits are pretty dark, so that would help with the contrast.

As for the crest, I honestly didn't even think twice about it. And I mean that in a good way.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Much better.

For future considerations, you could always reverse the type on Acciona, so you could get rid of the white bar.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Your revised kits look much better. I stuggled with my sponsor area on my Cardiff submission. I tried a white block behind it but i felt it clashed with my vertical stripes (white, blue, red). Ultimately I just left it off and added a fairly heavy white stroke to my sponsor graphic. On mine it looked bad on yours it looks good. I wasn't a fan of the piping, Its ok just would like it if there was less of it. Your crest is pretty sweet aside from some minor things like the stroke weight on the gold ring. I would maybe eliminate the outline on the gold and expand the inner circle to a touch bigger than the gold ring. I know that it would eliminate the cool interlocking aspect of it but that gold would pop nicely off of the green background. The bulls heads I dont really know of a solution to the 2d/3d issue but I will say that the way you made the lauburu out of the space between the bulls heads is awesome. You finished just outside my top 5. Like you said it is hard to turn something in without getting any critiques first. It was fun though.

Archived