New Cardinals logo

Jake3roo

I was bored, and I decided to make a cardinals logo with only the head.

MY EDITS:

..Brightened red

..changed yellow a bit

..gave new eye (Louisville)

..bye navy, hello black!

..gave new wordmark (not sure about the font)

Fell free to leave C/C!!

NEWSTL_zpse5d258ba.jpg

Usually I try to stay quiet on this stuff, but I have to agree with McCall on this. If people want to post quick concepts that took little thought, fine, but expect to get some harsh feedback. The thing is, now people are giving incredibly soft, I-don't-want-to-hurt-your-feelings feedback. It is just a cycle of people posting quick sloppy concepts, getting praised for it, then returning the praise to other quick sloppy concepts. Most of the time when I click on a concept now, I immediately click back wondering why I even bothered to look. When I first started here, my stuff was okay, but really unpolished, and it was honest feedback from people who knew what they were talking about that steered me in the right direction, even if I didn't necessarily like to hear it at that time.

Here is my feedback. Don't use the phrase "I decided to make a cardinal logo", when it was obviously not made by you. Anyone can crop an already existing logo into a boxy shape, slap on an eye (which has a different pixelation than the rest of the logo), and type a generic font in 30 seconds. Even if you only have MS Paint, you can still make your own lines and shapes.

Thank you so much for saying this. I only joined this site less than a year ago, but I can certainly say the concepts section has gone down hill very quickly, and it is stuff like this I can't stand. I understand people like designing and want to put some stuff on the internet, that's great. But he did not do anything to the Cardinals logo at all, in fact as a Cardinals fan, he completely butchered it. All he did was cut it into a square, and add a Microsoft font to it.

I don't recommend that anyone shy away from posting on these boards, feel free to. But in the last month, I've seen so many terrible topics that it hurts. I didn't start my own thread until I was a couple months into the site, and had already learned the way it works. I think one giant problem we have is that we have 13 year old kids coming on here, and posting their crap wherever they feel like, putting no thought into where it belongs, or how it should look.

MY EDITS:

..Brightened red

..changed yellow a bit

..bye navy, hello black!

Fell free to leave C/C!!

NEWSTL_zpse5d258ba.jpg

Usually I try to stay quiet on this stuff, but I have to agree with McCall on this. If people want to post quick concepts that took little thought, fine, but expect to get some harsh feedback. The thing is, now people are giving incredibly soft, I-don't-want-to-hurt-your-feelings feedback. It is just a cycle of people posting quick sloppy concepts, getting praised for it, then returning the praise to other quick sloppy concepts. Most of the time when I click on a concept now, I immediately click back wondering why I even bothered to look. When I first started here, my stuff was okay, but really unpolished, and it was honest feedback from people who knew what they were talking about that steered me in the right direction, even if I didn't necessarily like to hear it at that time.

Here is my feedback. Don't use the phrase "I decided to make a cardinal logo", when it was obviously not made by you. Anyone can crop an already existing logo into a boxy shape, slap on an eye (which has a different pixelation than the rest of the logo), and type a generic font in 30 seconds. Even if you only have MS Paint, you can still make your own lines and shapes.

Thank you so much for saying this. I only joined this site less than a year ago, but I can certainly say the concepts section has gone down hill very quickly, and it is stuff like this I can't stand. I understand people like designing and want to put some stuff on the internet, that's great. But he did not do anything to the Cardinals logo at all, in fact as a Cardinals fan, he completely butchered it. All he did was cut it into a square, and add a Microsoft font to it.

I don't recommend that anyone shy away from posting on these boards, feel free to. But in the last month, I've seen so many terrible topics that it hurts. I didn't start my own thread until I was a couple months into the site, and had already learned the way it works. I think one giant problem we have is that we have 13 year old kids coming on here, and posting their crap wherever they feel like, putting no thought into where it belongs, or how it should look.

I feel like this is aimed at me only cause I'm new and a "newbie" and considering you really don't like my stuff either.

MY EDITS:

..Brightened red

..changed yellow a bit

..bye navy, hello black!

Fell free to leave C/C!!NEWSTL_zpse5d258ba.jpg

I feel like this is aimed at me only cause I'm new and a "newbie" and considering you really don't like my stuff either.

No this isn't aimed at you at all, I don't want to start any kin of argument with you. I'm just saying, I think people who are new to these boards should take their time and learn the site before they post things. Trust me, it makes it better for everyone.

Sorry for any misunderstanding

This is nothing more than unnecessarily cutting off the head at a very awkward location. Then leaving the bottom of it looking unfinished. The eye change is minor and adds nothing to the logo. Seriously what's the purpose or use of this logo supposed to be for?

The fact that this "concept" has received some somewhat positive remarks shows that either the standards of the concept forum have decreased a lot more than realized or that they're just desperate for something that may resemble any type of effort. I feel bad for some of you decent "newbies" who have some valid interest and opinions on concepts that this is the crap you get to see and missed out on the absolutely amazing stuff that used to get posted here on a daily basis.

I honestly was never a part of this site in the 'glory days' but I wish I was. I believe I actually created my account around this time last year. So I'm fairly new compared to some people including yourself. When I started these boards were filled with great stuff. A lot of people were giving great feedback and the worst person was actually not bad. There's been an influx lately of people who join in and think this is just a "whatever I think this is cool" type of thing. It seems like since I've joined people have lost interest in actually designing for the love of designing something awesome but instead to design because they had a quick tweak idea. Some do this for a living, most don't on these boards, but that isn't an excuse to put time and effort into something and show it off.

I myself lately have felt like a professor on these boards. I'm no where near the level of some people, but I'm trying to be the Simon Cowell of these boards right now. Straight feedback, no gimmicks. I do try to keep it respectful though because lately a lot of 'feedback' has been a direct hit instead of harsh feedback. Harsh feedback is needed. For instance the other day I told some straight up that it was terrible, but told them what needed to be fixed. Then there are some people who are straight attacking someone's work which leaves them in shame. I started a tutorial thread hoping some people watch or take some pointers from it to try and elevate work slowly. I guess it just frustrates me a little when people don't take it as seriously as me.

Sometimes I do go back in the old threads and read through everything just to soak in what it must've been like here when daily the concepts were amazing.

MY EDITS:

..Brightened red

..changed yellow a bit

..bye navy, hello black!

Fell free to leave C/C!!

NEWSTL_zpse5d258ba.jpg

It's not aimed at you, unless you are making "concepts" that have very little creativity or effort. I don't know who is who here half the time anyway.

This is an amateur design site. Everyone knows that different people have different levels of experience and skill. Everyone should feel free to post, if they put in the effort and are at least trying to make a nice creative design. But if you want to make a quick logo that is pretty much stolen or took no effort, then the safest place to showcase it would be to your small circle of friends who will say, "Nice. It's better than I could do."

MY EDITS:

..Brightened red

..changed yellow a bit

..bye navy, hello black!

Fell free to leave C/C!!NEWSTL_zpse5d258ba.jpg

It's not aimed at you, unless you are making "concepts" that have very little creativity or effort. I don't know who is who here half the time anyway.

This is an amateur design site. Everyone knows that different people have different levels of experience and skill. Everyone should feel free to post, if they put in the effort and are at least trying to make a nice creative design. But if you want to make a quick logo that is pretty much stolen or took no effort, then the safest place to showcase it would be to your small circle of friends who will say, "Nice. It's better than I could do."

Thank you for saying this better than I could. Like I said earlier, I don't discourage anyone from posting on these boards. Anyone who wants to post stuff on here is free to. People just need to show more creativity and put more time into their work, only post if you are proud of it. Don't post just to post.

I just had an idea though that maybe instead of a 5 post limit in order to make a new topic, I think a new member should have to wait at least 2 weeks to make a new topic. This way they are forced to see how other people work on the site, and learn about it.

Archived