Columbus Crew Concept

kewp80

Hey guys! Been awhile since I've posted anything here. Been busy with life and work ya know. When I read that the Columbus Crew were looking to rebrand I decided it would be a good opportunity for me to practice my branding skills.

Originally I was going for a steel rebar where I ended up putting the team name, but felt there was too much detail that would get lost in smaller printing and embroidering applications. Also feel the top is missing something but can't decide what to put up there. Was thinking of putting "THE" to tie it to the old crest, or "'96" to represent the team was a founding member.

Crew.png

-Crossed hammer and pickaxe to stay with the "construction crew" theme.

-Bottom part is meant to represent the Ohio state flag. Felt it was important to represent the whole state as it's the only team in Ohio.

-Top is meant to resemble the Main Street Bridge as well as a hint to the cities nickname of the city of arches.

C&C much appreciated! :-)

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Was confused and thrown off by the weird shape at the bottom but after reading the explanation it makes sense. Without that it feels weird though. A minor suggestion would be to do something with that space. Maybe make it be black to complete the point but so the yellow bars still represent the flag.

Was confused and thrown off by the weird shape at the bottom but after reading the explanation it makes sense. Without that it feels weird though. A minor suggestion would be to do something with that space. Maybe make it be black to complete the point but so the yellow bars still represent the flag.

So you're saying instead of two tips on the bottom make just one? I think that's a pretty good idea. Maybe then put 96 or a soccer ball down there. I'll fool around with it.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I know this suggestion will get a lot of hate, but I honestly think putting a 90s black soccer ball (filled in with yellow, not white) centered above Crew. It just looks plain and I think that's the only thing that would fit there.

EDIT: Or put an Est. 1994 there too. I'm sure most of the experienced concept artists would prefer that.

I think taking the flag at the bottom and trailing it across the logo, ala Bolton Wanderers might help. Then simply place a circle with a soccer player and the Crew wordmark inside it.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm trying to see your characterizations for your logo, but I'm not buying it. It just seems like a simple logo with you trying to push meaning on arched text, etc... If I were you, I would flesh out your ideas and retool it. I'm certainly a guy that goes for simplistic designs, but this just seems too simple for the name. I would also try and find another tool or just make it one tool to make it more iconic.

I'd have to agree. I think you could use some elements from this logo, but without your explanations, the top and the bottom aren't coming through as intended.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Archived