The Road to Omaha: The 2014 NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

Seadragon76

Sorry to all the Louisville Cardinal fans here, but Kennesaw State is going to sweep them pretty bad. B)

Fixed. I'm sorry, Raysfan, but you don't go against the hottest team in the nation and not be impressed.

They're hot right now, but will cool down eventually against the Cards. But good luck to them though.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to all the Louisville Cardinal fans here, but Kennesaw State is going to sweep them pretty bad. B)

Fixed. I'm sorry, Raysfan, but you don't go against the hottest team in the nation and not be impressed.

I like Kennesaw State, but there is no way they can be considered the hottest team in the nation. They beat Alabama 1-0, got lucky that GA Southern beat Florida State and then beat GA Southern in extra innings. They then split two games with Alabama to make it to a super.

I'd say that out of the 16 remaining teams, they are the 14th or 15th hottest. I hope they can beat Louisville and I'd consider them hot if they did that, but as it stands right now, Louisville should be a heavy favorite.

They've lost two games in the past two months? Can't get much hotter than that.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Cards are going back to Omaha for 2 straight years! All I can say is that I'm proud of Coach McDonnell for rebuilding this team after last year's run to Omaha. I really don't think they will win it all, but they could go deep this year if the cards are played right. B)

We have 5 of the 8 teams heading to Omaha...

Bracket 1

UC Irvine vs. Texas

Two teams that will open the 2014 College World Series comes from the opposite ends on the grand scale of history. The Anteaters are making their second trip to Omaha in program history while Texas is making their record 35th trip to Omaha. What they do have in common, though, is great pitching and a knack for survival as both teams had to go though the deciding 7th game in their respective regionals. Then, when they needed it, both teams got the job done in the Super Regionals. Which team will make their mark in the 2014 opener?

Louisville vs. Vanderbilt

Louisville comes in as possibly the hottest team in the land. How so? A dominating performance at home in the Regional round and then taking down cinderella Kennesaw State in the Super Regionals. Their opponent, Vanderbilt, is more battle tested. Despite the same easy road taken in the regionals, Vandy had to beat a stubborn Stanford team in three games, one of which was decided on a walk-off homer. Can the Cards remain red hot or does the possible 'Lone Wolf' of the 10 SEC schools that made the tourny quiet them?

Bracket 2

Texas Tech vs. TCU

Every year, there is one team that appears out of nowhere to reach Omaha. This year, it's the Texas Tech Red Raiders. They've scored only 13 runs altogether, but they have one of the best defenses in the nation and it proved itself with back-to-back 1-0 shutouts of an offensively challenged College of Charleston team. Now, they'll meet conference rival TCU, who boasts one of the best pitching staffs in the nation. Which Big 12 team will take this game?

Mississippi vs. Virginia

Two teams with opposite goals meet in the final game of the 1st Round in Omaha. For Ole Miss, they're back after 42 years of waiting. Virginia, the last remaining national seed, has the burden of giving the ACC it's first national championship in baseball in 59 years, when Wake Forest took the title in 1955. Which story continues on after this game?

The Commodores are going to Omaha - Stanford couldn't walk off a third time as a visiting "home" team.

Good to see the Cards play the 'Dores again and good luck to them because they're a quality program and rival (Vandy and Louisville are actually rivals in baseball). Also Congrats to TCU on making it to Omaha!

I'm thinking Texas or Vandy vs. Virgina or Ole Miss.

Irvine could be dangerous, I've seen them play once and they are scrappy, but I think Texas is the better team.

Vandy was alright in the regular season, but they've really figured it out here in the postseason, a lot like Mississippi State last year and Arkansas the year before that. Louisville has the advantage of having been here last year, but I really haven't seen anything special out of them.

Texas Tech has had the easiest road to Omaha, beating Miami and College of Charleston. They appear to have decent pitching, but their bats are not impressive. TCU, on the other hand, had to beat a good Peoperdine. They have great pitching, but like TTU, they aren't blowing up the scoreboard offensively.

Ole Miss far exceeded expectations this year, winning the SEC West and beating Washington and Louisiana to get to Omaha. As much as I despise them, they undoubtedly have a good shot at the title this year with their good pitching and power hitting. Virginia is the highest ranked team left; they have an all around good team similar to Ole Miss. I think the winner of this game makes it to the championship series.

So, my predictions-

Texas over UC Irvine

Vandy over Louisville

TCU over Texas Tech

Virginia over Ole Miss

Texas over Vandy

Virginia over TCU

UC Irvine over Louisville

Ole Miss over Texas Tech

Vandy over UC Irvine

Ole Miss over TCU

Texas over Vandy