Arizona Coyotes rebrand (logo update #3)

elliott

****NOTE: go to page 2 for the first logo update (June 1st)******

*** Another logo update on 6-2

******* Updated, slightly simplified logo again on 6-2

I'm gonna let my earlier Kings concept die for a little bit, it's getting towards where I want it to be as a comprehensive design, but the current updates aren't ready to show. Plus didn't really get as many comments as I was hoping (maybe that's just the concepts forum's nature these days, I'm out of practice) so hopefully y'all like this one.

Another concept that's been in the works for a long time, and team close to my heart, as y'all might remember from my years of bickering with other posters about the Coyotes bankruptcy! Anyways, now that their established as moving forward (or at least 4 years) as the ARIZONA Coyotes, it's time for an update to the brand.

I'd love to continue to refine this and eventually send it in to the team, but we all know those are tricky waters to navigate. Even so, this is the direction that I wish my boys would go in.

First off, a color scheme that is uniquely "desert". Dark maroon, a lighter brick red, a slightly burnt looking yellow, sand, and a darker "sandstone" used strictly for logo highlights. I've messed around with versions of this concept including black and dropping the yellowish tones, but I found this to be much more distinctive and "out-there", but I love out-there concepts, as they usually lead to more discussion!

The part of the concept that's the longest in the making is the reworked logos. The primary crest has gone through a few renditions, this is my favorite so far, but it absolutely needs to be refined further. I wanted it to be "wilder" and imply more forward motion than the current crest. There used to be a full-body Coyote perched above the wordmark as the "primary" logo, kind of like an NBA team uses a complicated primary that is rarely used for merchandise, but that's been shelved for now. I might post that later because there's quite a few other scrapped logos for this concept as well. The secondary is a newly shaped moon, in the form of a "C", in the negative space of the bigger circle, there is a cactus silhouette to give it a new dimension.

The font is completely custom, it's inspired by the original 90s Coyotes font, but it's even blockier. I thought this very square looking design was appropriate for it's reminiscence to that original Yotes font, but also in the fact that it looks soutwestern. The straight edges complement the triangle motif that is present throughout the concept. I wanted to give the team a repeated motif that looks southwestern as well, obviously the triangles are not nearly as gaudy as the kachina jerseys of yesteryear, but they are consistent through the nose of the crest, the sticks on the wordmarks, the pattern on all of the big numbers on the back, and finally the alternate burgundy jerseys.

I've given you a bunch of different versions of the wordmark, there's a lot of potential there to create something modern yet distinctive, I think. Full number and NOB sheets are here as well.

Speaking about the uniforms, there aren't too many teams that effectively utilize the full shoulder stripe (IMO, the blue jackets and flyers use it well, but teams like the avalanche and panthers have that feature as more of a generic Reebok element), so I wanted to give a different spin on it here. The stripes flare out at the end of the sleeve, matching the hem stripes. Also on the sleeve, if you look at it from the bottom, it wraps around to subtly form the familiar "northwestern" stripe of the current Coyotes uniforms, so we don't completely lose that motif. The socks match this. Finally, there are two options for pants breezers, which both have the triangle motif sublimated in to the sides. Oh, and did I mention the away jersey was sand? There should be one time in the league that doesn't have a pure white road unifom. The Coyotes seem like an appropriate option for that.

Couldn't completely decide on a direction for the burgundy alternate. The one on the top is the original version, but then I decided to get crazy by putting the wordmark on the front. Okay, I already know you guys are going to hate it, but what the hell, I kind of liked it (*ducks from flying debris*). Sublimated in to the front of the jersey is the radiating sunburst from the Arizona flag. The alternate on the bottom is much, much simpler, with another stab at putting the triangle motif in to the sleeve and hem stripes. Which jersey do y'all like better? These are two options here, obviously the team would only have one of these alternate uniforms.

To top off the set, we have a jersey that would be worn very rarely. I see it as a marketing opportunity. Everyone knows the Coyotes tradition of a whiteout in the playoffs. But let's be honest, this team needs all the marketing interest it can get, so I was thinking that on select weekend matinee home games, there could be whiteouts as well. Also, when the team inevitably makes the playoffs in the next 4 years (haha...jokes), the problem is that for all of these awesome whiteouts, the team is wearing RED!!! I'd want them to wear there white out jerseys for one of those games in the playoffs. The moon crest is slightly altered, and the northwestern stripe returns, except the middle section is white, continuing this strongly white-balanced uniform. Breezers are sand but continue the white vertical stripe, kind of like the Flames, except it flows a little better without the horizontal hem stripe. I'm sure this uniform will generate some controversy as well, especially the pants!!!!

Enough rambling. Tell me what you think. Oh, and I'm trying to get involved on Dribbble, if anyone wants to "draft" me haha (not even completely sure who gets to do that). I'm not exclusive enough yet, so i'm jealous of all the dribbblers on the board ;).

pres1.png

pres2.png

pres5.png

coyotes-presentation.png

pres3.png

pres4.png

Wow, those wordmarks are phenomenal. If I were you, I would change the primary a bit, though. The coyote seems too much like a happy dog, and the tip of the nose seems weird.

The primary jerseys are nice, too. Modern feel to them. Try changing up the font of the numbers, too close to the CBJ alt font. The whiteout jersey is an awesome idea, but idk about cream pants (we all know what Eddie Lack's looked like in the Heritage Classic)

-Also, what type of file do you save these as? Seems a little grainy...if you save your finals as .png's, you shouldn't have this problem.

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

Wow, those wordmarks are phenomenal. If I were you, I would change the primary a bit, though. The coyote seems too much like a happy dog, and the tip of the nose seems weird.

The primary jerseys are nice, too. Modern feel to them. Try changing up the font of the numbers, too close to the CBJ alt font. The whiteout jersey is an awesome idea, but idk about cream pants (we all know what Eddie Lack's looked like in the Heritage Classic)

-Also, what type of file do you save these as? Seems a little grainy...if you save your finals as .png's, you shouldn't have this problem.

Right you are about the file format, accidentally made those JPEGs.... thanks for that, they are all updated now.

Thanks for the input, tho. I agree, the tip of the nose need a little bit of tweaking there.

It's a very interesting direction, and I really hope you develop it further. It's a very promising start. I'm going to focus my comments on the primary logo, because I think you should shore that up and then rebuild around it.

First, I like the overall shape and style of the logo... There's a nice organic, "wind-blown" (running coyote) feel going on that the current logo lacks. But I think you've got too many colors. I love the palette, but I think you could eliminate the "dark sandstone" color, and maybe even the "sand" (replace with white?) if you're feeling minimalist.

A few other issues I think you might want to look at: 1) There's a noticeable lack of teeth, which I would think you would want to play up... this could also help with another issue: 1a) the tongue is too prominent, almost like he's sticking it out. 2) I'm not sure where the eye is. Is it that small white triangle? If so, it seems way too small and way too far up on the face. 3) The nose. Right now, it's the lightest color in your palette, and separated from the rest of the snout. It seems more accurate to have it be the darkest color, and be incorporated more smoothly. 4) I'm not sure what the shapes on the extreme bottom right and bottom left are. They don't seem to be part of the coyote, and I'd eliminate them if they don't represent something else.

Really like the genesis here. I hope you continue to develop it.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I'm on my phone so I can't see it too well but the random splashes of red on the coyote seem out of place to me. There's already a busy color palette. I agree with dgnmrwrw about darkening the nose. I do like the overall feel of these. It has a wild untamed style that works for the Coyotes. The wordmark is hard to read with all the highlights and effects. Too stylized IMO. Either eliminating the effects or adding space between letters could help. A few more tweaks and this is a great concept.

There's something off about the jaw of the coyote. The way the top jaw is shown, it doesn't look right to show the tongue. Also, I think the top of the nose looks a little rough, and the random splotches of red don't seem right. But otherwise, :jawdrop: . That wordmark looks fantastic, and the alternate equally so. I love the alternate jersey (first one) especially the sublimated Arizona flag-like pattern. With the little changes to the main logo, you'll have a outstanding set. Great job.

spacer.png

^^ Exactly.

Everything else is great. The coyote head is the hang up, though. My eyes can't help but go straight to the nose. Maybe the highlight should just be red or brown so it blends in.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Maybe it's just me but the placement of the eye is a bit awkward. That is one very happy looking Coyote.

Other than that: the wordmark is fantastic. Love what you did with the crescent moon. Normally I don't like that particular Edge template as it leaves the sleeves feeling plain and empty, but your regular set here has just the right colour balance to make it work.

Of the two alts, I definitely prefer the first one. Normally I'm not a fan of wordmarks on jerseys but I think an exception can be make with the alt. What would this look like with a flat sand version of the wordmark?

Once again, a fantastic piece of work :D

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

First of all - you are having high quality stuff here! And I really like when people are taking their time with their explanation.

What I like most about the concept is the color scheme and how it is incorporated into the jerseys. Those look really stunning. Just as you did with the Kings, you have the ability to create a really "fresh" look.

While I like the numbers on a screen I don't know if I like them sewn on a jersey. Although there's a chance that I don't love them they will definetely be better than what they are having right now - the worst number font of the entire league as far as I'm concerned. Man I always think that their graphic designer had to finish the jersey on a foreign computer with only standard type fonts on it.

About the logos. I like the simplicity of the moon crest. But as many others have said - the primary needs some work to make it a major league logo. To me it has a kids-club logo feel with all of the things going on. I think that some of it can stay but some - like the two tone red at the bottom has to go or at least has to be modified in a way to give a reason for it.

Hope to hear your thoughts about our thoughts and to see some twists to the primary.

All the best wishes

Daniel

Will these are great, I think the current logo is fairly good looking. The only problem is that there is no native striping on the jersey. Many people have put similar striping as the first gen of Coyotes jerseys onto the Edge template and it turned out great.

Loving the wordmarks and numbers though, however the numbers are a little close to Columbus' Alternate.

Archived