Buffalo hockey - what would you do?

MojoRoberts

As I'm building toward the finale of my Champions league hockey series I find myself with a difficult problem. I'm thinking the final team I reveal will be in Buffalo. I am after all an upstate New York native. I've always loved the Sabres. My question is this: Do I build the identity around a buffalo type logo or do I try to stay away from it? It seems like every sports team in Buffalo throughout history has featured a buffalo in their identity. Keep in mind that in the fictional universe of my series the Buffalo Sabres do not exist. On the one hand buffalo logos have been done to death for Buffalo sports teams. On the other it is instantly recognizable for a team from that city to feature the animal in its logos. Help me out with some feedback. What would you do?

My choice would be naming it "Niagara" that way there is no Buffalo - animal - relation from the get go. Also this would be a team for Niagara Falls, St Catherines, Buffalo, even Rochester and isnt there a NiagaraCenter in Syracuse? Well wherever the Niagara district stretches to, I believe it would be a better choice.

Whether you use Niagara or Buffalo, you could use some type of electricity-related name. That would be a good local connection without doing the bison thing. "Thunder" would be cool, with its quasi-electricness and it's often used to describe the sound of the Falls. "Niagara" is more evocative, IMO: Lightning, Power, Electricity, Pikachus, Fighting Teslas, Glaciers, Mist, Daredevils, Cataracts, Horseshoes, Deluge, Rapids, Whirlpools...

I don't think you should use a Buffalo in their logo. I think it would be a unique challenge to see what you could come up with for a logo for Buffalo sports. But I agree with what the first guy said. You'd be better off if you just named it "Niagara". There's just a lot more stuff you could do with that name.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

I want to contribute by saying that I always have a problem creating a Buffalo team. If it's not perfect, I can't stand it. I say this is one you work the hardest on and don't let up either if you get frustrated. Make that perfect team to stand for as if they were real. When I create a Buffalo team I like to stand by heritage. Either as the whole city or just an area. I think Blue should without a doubt be in it (city flag and all) but the real struggle I think is always the team name. The identity that you're basing them around. I bid good luck to you. I always have problems with it.

If you do get frustrated during the time to make it look at this to cheer you up

a25669d0d734434550ce3fa19c070030.png

Whether you use Niagara or Buffalo, you could use some type of electricity-related name. That would be a good local connection without doing the bison thing. "Thunder" would be cool, with its quasi-electricness and it's often used to describe the sound of the Falls. "Niagara" is more evocative, IMO: Lightning, Power, Electricity, Pikachus, Fighting Teslas, Glaciers, Mist, Daredevils, Cataracts, Horseshoes, Deluge, Rapids, Whirlpools...

This is a good idea. Specifically Niagra Power, you could make a mainly yellow jersey with water blue as the secondary color.

This is a good idea. Specifically Niagra Power, you could make a mainly yellow jersey with water blue as the secondary color.

Or electric blue

That's what- She

Archived