MLB Retro Aspects That You Miss

Alright, I'm going to give this another go, I know the last thread got sent graveyard, but I think it was a good thread until a member began posting propaganda about pullovers.

I miss (the look, I'm far too young to have actually seen them) zipper fronts, I think a couple of teams (Cardinals especially) could use one as a alternate. I also like the look of striped socks.

Note: Certain member, please refrain from turning this thread into your pullover campaign, if you post one, please give reasons outside of the ultimate baseball look crap, and this isn't for your propaganda.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PULLOVERS ARE THE BEST! CREAM AND BLUE AND GOLD IS THE BEST LOOK! UPSIDE DOWN TRIDENTS ARE KEWL!

Kidding, but I really miss contrasting panel hats and I love that the O's brought them back. I also miss when teams only had 2 sets, not 5 (I'm looking at you, Atlanta)

spacer.png

PULLOVERS ARE THE BEST! CREAM AND BLUE AND GOLD IS THE BEST LOOK! UPSIDE DOWN TRIDENTS ARE KEWL!

Kidding, but I really miss contrasting panel hats and I love that the O's brought them back. I also miss when teams only had 2 sets, not 5 (I'm looking at you, Atlanta)

Hey! At least we aren't the Brewers. I'm a Braves fan and I feel like our primaries are in the top five, but our alts have diluted our brand so much. I don't hate the cream, but the navy and the Stars and Stripes are awful. And I loved when the road was paired with the navy and red cap.

Friendly, cartoon logos.

I'm glad they're starting to make a return, with Happy Bird, Mr. Redlegs, and Mr. Met getting some face time.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

For me it has to be the pants. I can't stand the long, sweat pants looks. Just doesn't seem baseball to me. Thankfully there are a handful of pros who still are holding the torch for proper pant length.

852541_t607.JPG

I second this. I also wish players would wear stirrups on a regular basis as well.

I miss being excited to see an alternate jersey. It used to be a treat to see the Blue Jays in their blue jerseys or the White Sox in their black jerseys. Now these things are worn so regularly I'm excited to see teams in standard white or grey.

Friendly, cartoon logos.

I'm glad they're starting to make a return, with Happy Bird, Mr. Redlegs, and Mr. Met getting some face time.

Same here. The "menacing" logo thing has gotten really, really old. It was stupid to begin with.

BB52Big.jpg

I miss striped socks. I was never a fan of stirrups. But really like what the Cardinals have going with their striped socks and wish every team had something like that available. Or do they and most players don't wear them?

I liked how tight baseball uniforms were in the 1970s/80s- but there was still room for freedom of movement in those things then. It looks a lot more better than the bagginess that is prevalent today.

UBwef0L.png

I miss being excited to see an alternate jersey. It used to be a treat to see the Blue Jays in their blue jerseys or the White Sox in their black jerseys. Now these things are worn so regularly I'm excited to see teams in standard white or grey.

This is one of the biggest things for me. I loved alternates when they actually were alternates, worn every once in a while. When I was a kid, I thought it was cool when the Sox wore the black jerseys at home. Eventually, they started wearing them for half of home games and about 90% of road games. They weren't so cool then.

I will also second the vertical arch lettering. You can get rid of all the awful alternate jerseys and caps, but the Braves just aren't the Braves without the vertical arch. It's amazing how such a small detail could make a huge difference. Not all teams should switch to that style, but the Braves definitely should.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I liked some of the vest looks of the early to mid 2000's. Some teams looked terrible with them (Rangers, White Sox come to mind for me) but I don't think they should have been ditched entirely across the league.

kengriffeyjr.jpggriffey-swing.jpg

ken-griffey-jr-05773107.jpg

(Disclaimer: Griffey's orgasmic swing might be influencing my opinion on these)

I agree with you on that. This was my favorite vest look in MLB history.

marlins-jersey1993.jpg

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Archived