MLB Retro Aspects That You Miss

I love pretty much all cartoon mascots for MLB teams.

What am I forgetting?

The only one I can think of that I don't like was the tough-guy Bluejay from a few years back.

You forgot my favorite one:

jwrg5ev03kpa50eefaaxtm50g.gif

I like the A's elephant, but it isn't quite the same as the ones I posted. Now, put an anthropomorphic elephant in an old-timey baseball uniform, swinging a big bat? That'd be magic.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love pretty much all cartoon mascots for MLB teams.

The only one I can think of that I don't like was the tough-guy Bluejay from a few years back.

That's because it completely misses the point of a cartoon logo. They're supposed to be light-hearted and whimsical, not tough and macho.

I like pullovers. When it comes to the game itself, I'm a traditionalist (I prefer no DH, no interleague play, no wild card, stirrups and short baseball pants), but with uniforms I don't see the point of button up jerseys in this day and age. Every other sport wears a pullover jersey. It's easier to make logos / wordmarks with no buttons to get in the way, and there can be more freedom of movement in a pullover jersey rather than one with buttons.

I like the look of the button up jerseys, but they are less practical now.

Pretty much everything you say here is the opposite of the truth. Button-ups have fat more room for movement than pullovers, and I say that as someone who's worn both. There's no more practicality with pullovers. And please stop with the BS about other leagues wearing pullover jerseys. You can't compare one sport to another. Each sport has its reasons/practicality or history/tradition for wearing the types of uniforms that they do.

What practical reason is there for buttons?

When you work out, do you wear a button up shirt? No, you probably wear a t-shirt. Baseball is indeed a sport. While it's a sport that is steeped in tradition, there is no practial reason to have buttons other than a sense of nostalgia. And, yes, I've worn both button up jerseys as well as pull over jerseys to play in. A pull over jersey is more comfortable.

I'm not against button up jerseys - I love the traditional look. I just think there is a valid reason to consider the alternative and it would be nice to see a few teams adopt it.

Button-up flannels and plaid shirts are the only way I know how to live.

Purple and green Devil Rays.

They were never purple and green. They were black/purple/rainbow gradient, then black/green/royal blue (black eventually reduced in it's usage) and now light navy/Columbia blue with a touch of gold.

I believe the gold they use is more so yellow. Around the ballpark (which is where it primarily appears) is defenitely a yellow. However, it's really only used in the sunburst, not anything else.

Archived