MLB Retro Aspects That You Miss

It's a shame vests got so completely and annoyingly overexposed a few years back,because these two (and maybe only these two) were amazing looks...

Roberto-clemente.jpge0989b32dfd6dd2e9221da2b8b8589c7.jpg

Agree, but the Pirates would just wear the black top 93% instead of the 95% they do now.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Marlins haven't been a truly teal team since 2002. The 2012 rebrand was a lot less drastic then some of you make it out to be.

Exactly. Quite honestly, I find them to look the best they ever have. Even the teal era, the overall look was a little bland. The way they use their colors and logos fits the "Miami" vibe that they're going for. They've always been the Marlins, but with the switch to Miami, THAT'S what the identity is focusing on, the location.

I'm probably on my own here but I prefer the real life bird logo for the Orioles, not a big fan of cartoonish logos.

I love the cartoon bird but if they ever decided to go back to a real life one, I hope it would be the early 90s logo. The later one was too detailed for my liking.

I like pullovers. When it comes to the game itself, I'm a traditionalist (I prefer no DH, no interleague play, no wild card, stirrups and short baseball pants), but with uniforms I don't see the point of button up jerseys in this day and age. Every other sport wears a pullover jersey. It's easier to make logos / wordmarks with no buttons to get in the way, and there can be more freedom of movement in a pullover jersey rather than one with buttons.

I like the look of the button up jerseys, but they are less practical now.

Racing stripes:

etWG9Ao.jpg

Not a chance in hell. Thankfully they died out soon after the pullover fad and the 70's/80's garb was rightfully where it belongs, in the past.

I actually think racing stripes could look good for some teams, if they were only on the shoulders/sleeves, and not the side of the jersey.

I like pullovers. When it comes to the game itself, I'm a traditionalist (I prefer no DH, no interleague play, no wild card, stirrups and short baseball pants), but with uniforms I don't see the point of button up jerseys in this day and age. Every other sport wears a pullover jersey. It's easier to make logos / wordmarks with no buttons to get in the way, and there can be more freedom of movement in a pullover jersey rather than one with buttons.

Pretty much everything you say here is the opposite of the truth. Button-ups have fat more room for movement than pullovers, and I say that as someone who's worn both. There's no more practicality with pullovers. And please stop with the BS about other leagues wearing pullover jerseys. You can't compare one sport to another. Each sport has its reasons/practicality or history/tradition for wearing the types of uniforms that they do.

I kinda miss bullpen cars, always wanted to take a ride in one. I miss pre-wild card baseball, I can handle divisions like they had from 1969-1993, but would prefer single table leagues, winners play each other for the World Series...

I wish a team would make a field with really unique dimensions. Minute Made's has its hill but other than that there's nothing.

I want a remake of Polo Grounds

What Phantom is to Pullovers, I am to cookie cutters and domes

I wish another team would use the cutout look and I wish there were more fixed domes

cinergy_11.jpg

bba_mets_blue_jays_20140328.jpg?w=620

well to be fair, the olympic stadium in montreal is more like a broken roof stadium

Exposgotrobbed94.png

Never Forget 1994

expostimeline.png

Lincecum Eephus Pitch

I'm probably on my own here but I prefer the real life bird logo for the Orioles, not a big fan of cartoonish logos.

I agree. I'm an O's fan and I don't really care for the cartoon bird. It probably wouldn't be so bad if they didn't bring back the white panel cap as the home hat.

Pretty much everything you say here is the opposite of the truth. Button-ups have fat more room for movement than pullovers, and I say that as someone who's worn both. There's no more practicality with pullovers. And please stop with the BS about other leagues wearing pullover jerseys. You can't compare one sport to another. Each sport has its reasons/practicality or history/tradition for wearing the types of uniforms that they do.

What practical reason is there for buttons?

When you work out, do you wear a button up shirt? No, you probably wear a t-shirt. Baseball is indeed a sport. While it's a sport that is steeped in tradition, there is no practial reason to have buttons other than a sense of nostalgia. And, yes, I've worn both button up jerseys as well as pull over jerseys to play in. A pull over jersey is more comfortable.

I'm not against button up jerseys - I love the traditional look. I just think there is a valid reason to consider the alternative and it would be nice to see a few teams adopt it.

I love pretty much all cartoon mascots for MLB teams.

What am I forgetting?

The only one I can think of that I don't like was the tough-guy Bluejay from a few years back.

You forgot my favorite one:

jwrg5ev03kpa50eefaaxtm50g.gif

I love pretty much all cartoon mascots for MLB teams.

retro-mr-met-logo-no-background.jpgHTS-MLB-CIR-A2007-02.jpg200px-X5qgaefxmvbsmrkzw3k8qggwr.gifbrewers_barrel.gifHTS-MLB-DET-A1967-01.jpgHTS-MLB-BAO-A2009-04.jpg

pk7vvonkkx7cbcgxgr6gt0pl2.gif

What am I forgetting?

The only one I can think of that I don't like was the tough-guy Bluejay from a few years back.

jumbo_shot29130078.jpg
That's not really the same thing though, is it?

Archived