MLB Retro Aspects That You Miss

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may start a debate but hear me out.

I love that MLB uses throw back jerseys every now and then but I never know when it's happening - Unless I'm lucky enough to watch sportscenter that night and see some of the cool retro designs.

Similar to how the NFL dedicates one month of the season (October - to breast cancer awareness), I think it'd be something special if MLB dedicated July as an alternate uniform month. Kick off the special jerseys on July 4th - they always release special hats so why not continue it with the jerseys?

I'm not saying every day we have throw backs or future uniforms but atleast on the weekends? I'd love to see a series between the Braves/Cardinals in 80's style pull overs. This would bring alot of memories back to fans that care and increase merchandise sales.

I feel like all I ever see are early 1900's style designs that not alot of people were even alive for. While I do enjoy those uniforms, I think MLB would benefit from having special matchups during the month of July focusing on certain eras. Imagine a weekend series between the Diamondbacks v. Yankees with the 2000's uniforms. Yankees haven't changed but D'Backs fans would be blown away seeing the old teal and purple. TV ratings would be huge given the right exposure. Or what about old Tampa Bay Devil Rays fans? I'd like to see them play against early 90's Angels with the vests. But that's just my opinion.

Maybe every couple years they could switch up the month? First week of July is 80's style, second week is 1900's, third week is future versions, last week before the all-star game is 40's. Switch it up every year to keep things fresh and fans excited to see some of their favorite uniforms brought back to life.

All-Star game jerseys are always creative and it's a pretty big deal to see what they come up with. Why not celebrate the entire month seeing what the league has to offer?

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

I liked some of the vest looks of the early to mid 2000's. Some teams looked terrible with them (Rangers, White Sox come to mind for me) but I don't think they should have been ditched entirely across the league.

kengriffeyjr.jpggriffey-swing.jpg

ken-griffey-jr-05773107.jpg

(Disclaimer: Griffey's orgasmic swing might be influencing my opinion on these)

Vested MLB jerseys are one of the biggest abominations in sports uniform history. A baseball jersey should always be button down with sleeves.

I cant believe that in 2014, the Rockies STILL use the black alternate vests...

Vests make great baseball jerseys. Sleeveless jerseys, like what's pictured above and has been worn since the early '90s, do not. We haven't seen an actual vest jersey in decades.

Please elaborate on the difference.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

This may start a debate but hear me out.

I love that MLB uses throw back jerseys every now and then but I never know when it's happening - Unless I'm lucky enough to watch sportscenter that night and see some of the cool retro designs.

Similar to how the NFL dedicates one month of the season (October - to breast cancer awareness), I think it'd be something special if MLB dedicated July as an alternate uniform month. Kick off the special jerseys on July 4th - they always release special hats so why not continue it with the jerseys?

I'm not saying every day we have throw backs or future uniforms but atleast on the weekends? I'd love to see a series between the Braves/Cardinals in 80's style pull overs. This would bring alot of memories back to fans that care and increase merchandise sales.

I feel like all I ever see are early 1900's style designs that not alot of people were even alive for. While I do enjoy those uniforms, I think MLB would benefit from having special matchups during the month of July focusing on certain eras. Imagine a weekend series between the Diamondbacks v. Yankees with the 2000's uniforms. Yankees haven't changed but D'Backs fans would be blown away seeing the old teal and purple. TV ratings would be huge given the right exposure. Or what about old Tampa Bay Devil Rays fans? I'd like to see them play against early 90's Angels with the vests. But that's just my opinion.

Maybe every couple years they could switch up the month? First week of July is 80's style, second week is 1900's, third week is future versions, last week before the all-star game is 40's. Switch it up every year to keep things fresh and fans excited to see some of their favorite uniforms brought back to life.

All-Star game jerseys are always creative and it's a pretty big deal to see what they come up with. Why not celebrate the entire month seeing what the league has to offer?

I see your point.

But something I love about baseball is how long the season is. Over 160 games is much different than 16 games. Teams, fans, the front-office, they all get bored of the same uniforms day in an day out. I like seeing different throwback matchups, occasional alternates, and every other "unique" matchup from all the MLB teams during different times throughout the season.

How boring would it be to just have one month dedicated to all the uniqueness? I know that, as a Rays fan, promotional games like the faux-paux uniforms are used as a way to draw in more fans. Putting all of the uniform-diversity during one month takes away from it.

Most teams do have planned throwback nights either before the season or a few weeks before the game planned out. A standard MLB uniform format takes away from an individual teams ability to A. connect with it's fans and B. profit financially from throwback night, alternate uniform night, etc.

I liked some of the vest looks of the early to mid 2000's. Some teams looked terrible with them (Rangers, White Sox come to mind for me) but I don't think they should have been ditched entirely across the league.

kengriffeyjr.jpggriffey-swing.jpg

ken-griffey-jr-05773107.jpg

(Disclaimer: Griffey's orgasmic swing might be influencing my opinion on these)

Vested MLB jerseys are one of the biggest abominations in sports uniform history. A baseball jersey should always be button down with sleeves.

I cant believe that in 2014, the Rockies STILL use the black alternate vests...

I never did like the Reds wearing the black. It seems kinda strange to be called the "Reds" and the main color for their road uniforms were "Black". Those road uniforms could've been worn with red shirts and red helmets. Personally, the uniforms the Reds are wearing now are pretty decent, except for those horrible BP jerseyes with the script "Reds" on the front.

In one word - Colour.

Not evey team needs to be grey on the road. Keep many of the oldest teams with a very good or better traditional look as it, but not every team needs to be that way. A little more variety. Embrace some team identity that's a bit different.

Maybe something like:

Blue Jays and Royals back in light blue

Padres back in brown and gold.

Astros in full tequila sunrise.

Phillies in maroon (jerseys only NOT with all maroon pants)

Rather see these as regular or (even "3rd jerseys" to borrow some hockey terminology) rather than the special day/cause, camo, patriotic, etc. crap that comes out.

As far as button-ups vs pullovers, really doesn't matter that much to me. If it's easily possible in a button-up go for it that way. If the look only works well in a pullover wear a pullover.

One thing I'd like to see die is the baggy and super long pants: Hammer time is long over, and if you have your pants long enough to be under your shoes something is wrong. Long live stirrups and socks.

And on a completely random note if we're having some teams have really vintage uniforms come out for certains day, some players should embrace growing a Rollie Fingers style mustache.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Archived