Ok this might be Blasphemous but can someone enlighten me on....

uuh70

With the local media here in L.A. talking about the Kings nonstop I have noticed something ironic about what people are saying about the Blackhawks

This is considered offensive

bwlhdbvznotavo5ccby5gogn6.gif

This is considered offensive

539.png

This is considered EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE (edit: I mean the name)

im5xz2q9bjbg44xep08bf5czq.gif

Yet this is considered by many to be the BEST UNIFORM IN THE NHL

rpb7pohmzsizochhl9viaiyxu.gif

"While the white uni is one of the best in the league, the background color on the red uni is so loud that it swallows up all the details and colors in the chest logo." -Paul Lukas regarding the Blackhawks uniforms on his power rankings

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

I believe it refers to the team name as opposed to the logo in the case of the Redskins. The "Chief Wahoo" looks far more offensive than the Blackhawk, which looks like an accurate representation of an aboriginal tribesman. Personal opinion.

1425175351-U10338.png

The Redskins' logo isn't considered offensive. Their name is.

Like the Redskins' logo the Blackhawks' logo is just a respectful depiction of a Native American. It's also worth noting that the Blackhawks are named after Chief Black Hawk, a Native leader who fought against the United States. So many people see the Blackhawks' identity as honouring Native culture whereas stuff like the Redskins' name and Indians' logo is clearly derogatory.

The Blackhawks uniforms are among the most overrated in the history of sports and the logo is no less derogatory than the other logos posted. Regardless of the intention of the name, the logo represents a tired stereotype. Because we know that all native americans have to be depicted with feathers in their hair and warpaint on their faces...

Getting back to the uniform itself. How any brand that uses every primary and secondary colour in the spectrum could be considered great is beyond me.

Everyone else nailed it. There isn't anything offensive about the logo or Blackhawks name...

Redskins name offends many, logo very few. Indians log offends many, name is inaccurate at best, offensive at worst. Braves name also offends no one.

The line seems clearly drawn to me.

The Black Hawks were named after Chief Black Hawk. The crest of the jersey is a likeness of the man himself, and it seems to be based on a bust at the Black Hawk State Historic Site. He was considered a great leader by Native Americans, and I think was an ambassador between Natives and American settlers. I don't know if the paint on his face is specifically war paint, or maybe part of some ceremony. Most reference photos I've seen have a variety of painted and non-painted faces.

The Redskins/Indians situations are similar; it's the combination of name and logo that causes the problem. "Indians" by itself is not explicitly derogatory, and can be part of an identity that honors them instead of characterizing them (see: Spokane Indians). But add a caricature of a redfaced figure with a giant nose and war-feather, and the identity becomes insulting.

The Redskins logo is similar to the Black Hawks...it shows a warrior or chief in repose. While his hair and feathers may have a war-like connotation, there's nothing specific about the logo itself that states it's a man going to war. Add the Redskins name, and it now refers to someone's ethnicity. Just as we wouldn't call people Blackskins or Yellowskins, we shouldn't be referring to Native Americans as Redskins.

The Braves' mascot logo is called the "Screaming Savage". It obviously is a caricature of an Indian (with mohawk and feather). Referring to a face of people as savages is particularly racist, don't you think? So the team moved away from the Screaming Savage, and emphasized the tomahawk.

To summarize:

Black Hawks: honors one specific historical figure

Indians: named after Natives, but uses a racist caricature

Redskins: Logo that reflects Native origin, but with derogatory racist nickname

Braves: named after Natives, old logo was offensive caricature with racist name

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The Blackhawks uniforms are among the most overrated in the history of sports and the logo is no less derogatory than the other logos posted. Regardless of the intention of the name, the logo represents a tired stereotype. Because we know that all native americans have to be depicted with feathers in their hair and warpaint on their faces...

Getting back to the uniform itself. How any brand that uses every primary and secondary colour in the spectrum could be considered great is beyond me.

Because we know that all Canadians, nicknamed Canucks are awkward cartoon whales.

Getting back(?) to the uniform itself. How any brand uses a completely different color scheme with its uniforms and awful logo is beyond me?

Washington Nationals/Montreal Expos: 45 Years, no World Series or pennant.

Chicago Bears: 1 NFL championship in the last 50 years.

When will my teams' futility end?

Thanks everyone for your input. As someone who isn't as much of a Hockey fan I thought it was odd that everyone was claiming how beautiful the Blackhawks jersey was and after doing research I couldnt find anything that mentioned any kind of FSU type of relationship with the Native Americans

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

Slapshot nailed it. The crest is a depiction of Chief Black Hawk, who was a Native leader during war time. The war paint seems appropriate.

Try not to let team rivalries cloud your judgement here.

Pretty much most sports teams' logos represent a stereotype don't they?

Technically it's not the greatest logo, but logos are more than that. People on here should know that.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

To be honest, I actually have to agree with the sentiment that the Blackhawks' uniforms are overrated - but for me, it's because of the inconsistent striping. There's an easy fix that would look so much better:

PRYLuk2.png

Additionally, the black sweater should be their primary home look with the red as an alternate.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Chief Wahoo always reminded me of a lot of cartoons of the same time he was created, early 50s i believe. whether it was Warner Bros, or Disney you can find examples of . . i dont even know what you would call it, "blackface style"??. it's exaggerated features like this

princechawmin.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived