Milwaukee Bucks Unveil New Logos/Colors, Jerseys & Court

mgdmhl

10349872_10102586142756248_3223234962465

Wow...nothing like having one product able to leak every new logo and wordmark you have.

Somebody at a glass company is going to lose their job ... or deal with Bucks/NBA. :)

Nothing spectacular, but if they play up the green and cream and the deer head by itself -- as they seem to be doing -- it should look good.

Seriously how many logo leaks are they gonna have only from beer glasses?

And who would put that many logos on a cup?

Will there eventually be a glass with a jersey on it?

Are the bucks :censored:ing with us by making glasses with all the logos on them and leaving them out to be photographed?

So many questions.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one here is proud of that flag.

Definitely reminds me of something from an 80s video transition or something haha. Yikes.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Just what the NBA (and pro sports in general) needs - another color scheme with blue in it! The uniforms are going to be a disaster, I can already tell.

Could not agree with you more. Replace the blue with lime and we have a winner.

Why lime? How does that suit the Bucks more than blue? Green-red-white was perfect.

It goes back to their "Irish Rainbow" colors back in the 70's and 80's.

If loving these is wrong, I don't want to be right. The version with the red added was jarring. These are beautiful.

I am holding out hope that they work in a second green for the uniforms. But it looks bleak.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Wow...nothing like having one product able to leak every new logo and wordmark you have.

Somebody at a glass company is going to lose their job ... or deal with Bucks/NBA. :)

Nothing spectacular, but if they play up the green and cream and the deer head by itself -- as they seem to be doing -- it should look good.

Are the bucks :censored:ing with us by making glasses with all the logos on them and leaving them out to be photographed?

So many questions.

It's like a souvenir shot glass. I see glasses with tons of logos and stuff all over them like that all the time.

And for those who don't click and read:

· Blue underlines the importance of the Great Lakes and multiple rivers in the history and future of our city and state. In fact, some think the word Milwaukee was derived from the Algonquian term “Millioki,” which meant “gathering place by the waters.”

· The addition of blue to our color palette pays homage to the history of professional basketball in Milwaukee, as blue was the primary color of the Milwaukee Hawks, the city’s first NBA team.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Sad about the blue. Another team in the "wrong colors". Hopefully it's minimal trim, but even then it could have been lime or red to maintain history. Now they'll bring back memories if Mark Aguirre and Christian Laettner, not Kareem and Marques Johnson.

The typeface looks like a blend of Agency and varsity block and it's atrocious. The S and U look particularly artless.

As for "representing the region" as someone said upthread, why and how? The Bucks have never tried to represent anything more than Milwaukee. They don't need to conjure up images of log cabins on lakes in remote northern Wisconsin because that has nothing to do with southeastern Wisconsin, where they play. The Bucks play in an old industrial city and have been around a pretty long time. They don't need to get all that conceptual.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just what the NBA (and pro sports in general) needs - another color scheme with blue in it! The uniforms are going to be a disaster, I can already tell.

Could not agree with you more. Replace the blue with lime and we have a winner.

Why lime? How does that suit the Bucks more than blue? Green-red-white was perfect.

It goes back to their "Irish Rainbow" colors back in the 70's and 80's.

u4ay5i0ft6rz7w7fhebh96fe8.gif7crnwjghkt5sg6rp9zgxkzco7.gif

If loving these is wrong, I don't want to be right. The version with the red added was jarring. These are beautiful.

I am holding out hope that they work in a second green for the uniforms. But it looks bleak.

Amen!!! Hopefully we not only get these back as Hardwood classic but maybe add lime for a special alternate.
shado_logo.gif

The typeface looks like a blend of Agency and varsity block and it's atrocious. The S and U look particularly artless.

As for "representing the region" as someone said upthread, why and how? The Bucks have never tried to represent anything more than Milwaukee. They don't need to conjure up images of log cabins on lakes in remote northern Wisconsin because that has nothing to do with southeastern Wisconsin, where they play. The Bucks play in an old industrial city and have been around a pretty long time. They don't need to get all that conceptual.

I'm guessing the new ownership group is taking an "all-state" approach to their marketing approach. Perhaps a combo of the Edens/Lasry team thinking all visual aspects should have some sort of tie-in with the city/state of the team (how accurate are the tie-ins is another story -- more in the eye of the beholder), and the new ownership group wanting to market the team better to northern and western Wisconsin. I can say as an Eau Claire resident -- 3-and-a-half hours away from Milwaukee -- that there's rarely been any Bucks interest in this part of the state, and I wonder if they're trying to give potential fans up here and in the north some symbolic reason to connect to the team. Of course, winning more and doing additional outreach will do the best job of growing the fanbase outside of the Milwaukee-Madison-Green Bay triangle, but fixing the image can't hurt. Make it "Wisconsin's" team instead of "Milwaukee's" team.

So many questions.

It's like a souvenir shot glass. I see glasses with tons of logos and stuff all over them like that all the time.

This was most likely used by Sales personal in everything they have been doing for the last year. there is a picture of the bucks new offices at the Shlitz park that has the trim colors of these new logos. so we have been seeing the new colors for a long time. look at the strips on the walls

edit bucksschlitzparkoffice_fullsize_story1.j

I'm guessing the new ownership group is taking an "all-state" approach to their marketing approach. Perhaps a combo of the Edens/Lasry team thinking all visual aspects should have some sort of tie-in with the city/state of the team (how accurate are the tie-ins is another story -- more in the eye of the beholder), and the new ownership group wanting to market the team better to northern and western Wisconsin. I can say as an Eau Claire resident -- 3-and-a-half hours away from Milwaukee -- that there's rarely been any Bucks interest in this part of the state, and I wonder if they're trying to give potential fans up here and in the north some symbolic reason to connect to the team. Of course, winning more and doing additional outreach will do the best job of growing the fanbase outside of the Milwaukee-Madison-Green Bay triangle, but fixing the image can't hurt. Make it "Wisconsin's" team instead of "Milwaukee's" team.

They're preaching to the damned. That's college hoops territory, and people in Eau Claire probably aren't driving to Milwaukee on winter weeknights even if they want to. NBA teams arguably have the smallest radii in pro sports.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They're preaching to the damned. That's college hoops territory, and people in Eau Claire probably aren't driving to Milwaukee on winter weeknights even if they want to. NBA teams arguably have the smallest radii in pro sports.

not many people are driving into cities farther then an hour aways in any city to watch a basektball team unless they are die hard fans or are going for a weekend or more.

I don't believe there's any objective measure that would support the idea of the current/former Bucks logo being a "quality" illustration. Not unless the quality is mediocre. It's eyes are where a person's eyes would be. It's got a human proportioned neck and shoulders.

Say what you want, but this is just not true.

And this new buck lacks a 'crown' (as in head), among other things.

Which part isn't true? The neck to head ratio/proportions? The placement of the eyes? The brow tine highlights that read to the viewer as sad eyebrows? I specifically used the word objective (rather than subjective) inviting you or anyone to argue those issues/flaws directly. Saying they aren't true doesn't address them as far as I'm concerned. I'll reiterate. Loving the look has nothing to do with it being good. I'm attached to some really bad art too.

The whole statement that is quoted, obviously. The illustration is anatomically correct, thus doesn't support your view of it being "mediocre" because of it. You mention "objectivity", but then use the argument that the brow tine (which are actually the pedicles) highlights read as sad eyebrows, which is a totally subjective statement, since I never read them as such until I tried to. Neither I ever read the nose as one of a pig, although I admit it can be interpreted as such.

Ha! Well I think we're probably officially worn out the grace period and are now annoying everyone with our arguing about this now former bit of artwork. I've been hating this half my life. I'm not about to budge on my astute and studied interpretation. I could write a master's thesis on how much this Bucks logo sucks. The folks at NBA properties couldn't give two rips this mark and it's always showed. And the key bit you mention here is that (to you) the illustration is anatomically correct. But the trouble is that It isn't. That's exactly the point. See the image below if I can figure out how to post it. :P

The overlay doesn't work perfectly but it's pretty good. The red areas are where the artists took non-deer like (and I'd argue human-like) liberties. The neck is way WAY too short....like a whole head too short. This creates the man shoulders. The eyes are a tad too centered on the face. The head is rounded on top. All of these make him more humanesque than a deer is. He's anthropomorphic but not in a cool, cute or mascot way. More like a Island of Dr. Moreau way.

Even areas that are rendered quite effectively (like the rack) are still bothersome. Why put the sad eyed highlight on the brow tines when a highlight really would have been useful to show which tines up high pass in front of which others?. The face and neck wants to hint at some dimension then but the upper rack is 100% silhouette?

You can claim to have never seen sad eyes or pig nose. That's awesome. I'm far from the only one to interpret the logo that way. That was a meme amongst bitter Bucks fans before memes were memes. I didn't invent that.

And my favorite stupid awful part is the white accents by the chest. You've got what is otherwise a completely symmetrical logo right? And in most cases with such a work an artist will throw in some asymmetry here and there....as a visual treat to keep the eyes moving and keep the image from being too stale.. And this artist decides to use that little bit of asymmetry for what exactly? The comma shaped ...highlights? on the collar/shoulders? I'm guessing they are highlights because there's no anatomical reason for two white stripes there. This is where the "roid" mocking comes from too. How else to interpret the random shininess than as glistening bulging muscle? But glistening over fur? And why the two square notches missing from the tank top shaped area that is meant to be the white tummy fur? the chest of this animal (right above the MILWAUKEE type, is arguably the most intricate portion of the entire piece and yet non of it means or depicts anything in particular. It's filler. It's visual jibberish.

Anatomy_zpsyvzgkueh.jpg

Like a freight train with stickum

The now old Buck was more respectable, tougher looking. The new one is uber cartoony. Should've explored that more. I've seen concepts way better.

We will have to reserve judgment for when the full thing is actually revealed, but each time I see the new buck from the glass, I am less impressed.

Archived