Milwaukee Bucks Unveil New Logos/Colors, Jerseys & Court

mgdmhl

That sucks. I'm not a fan of color-on-color games, but I do think that silver, cream, or something like a Padres sand should be OK for home uniforms provided there wasn't more than one of each.

Well there have been some color-on-color games in the NBA recently that featured each team wearing an alternate jersey. So I think the rules are pretty lax in general. As long as there is no strong color clash, I don't think it's too big a deal if the Bucks requested to wear an alternate jersey for any given game.

My point is that they shouldn't have a white jersey at all. That, or they should make a cream alt and just request to wear it 41 times.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sucks. I'm not a fan of color-on-color games, but I do think that silver, cream, or something like a Padres sand should be OK for home uniforms provided there wasn't more than one of each.

Well there have been some color-on-color games in the NBA recently that featured each team wearing an alternate jersey. So I think the rules are pretty lax in general. As long as there is no strong color clash, I don't think it's too big a deal if the Bucks requested to wear an alternate jersey for any given game.

My point is that they shouldn't have a white jersey at all. That, or they should make a cream alt and just request to wear it 41 times.

They may do that. Cream or any kind of off-white shouldn't present a color clash problem. But who knows what the NBA will approve and not approve.

Although I would think it's pretty dumb to not allow a cream home jersey and yet allow for another sleeved jersey.

I really like the Buck. I like that you used the blue to add detail/depth to it.

Now, what are your instincts on what they should look like? Do you have anything drawn up in that direction?

Even a day after doing it, I'm much happier with my State of WI update than I am the primary Buck.

As I said upthread going from one head-on deer to another only invites comparisons and division.....same is true for mine and although I think the blue is important I just think forcing the M in there is counter-productive.

And the antler rim/ball (on mine) disappears with the cream stroke so.....

Anyways, upthread I said....for me? Irish Rainbow and some sort of full body deer change of pace. I REALLY like P34s direction.

Like a freight train with stickum

I lied. I feel compelled to leave it at a more complete and viable spot. And I think I have now. The state outline I put forth was a revision rather than a reinterpretation. The buck had begun to feel more like a total teardown. So here I'm trying to treat them the same...treat the buck as a revision only.

So here I push the eyes, the neck and a couple other small elements CLOSER toward what the Bucks actually rolled out. My more naturalistic touch wasn't working at all. Again, I don't think they needed demon eyes but since they did it...I did it.

Also took the advice here and tweaked the antlers to try and regain that ball/rim feel.

I gotta tell ya as I finish this up another thing I now cannot understand at all is how they didn't arrive at the solution to make the lower jaw come to a point. It really puts a bow on the hidden "M" to do that.2015_Bucks_Set3_zpsta2mdnrk.jpg

Hmm. I think you'd be better off limiting the blue to a shadow on one side of the face. You suggest that with his left ear and muzzle but then there's too much on his right side.

And while I like your color scheme, I can't agree with the choice to bring the blue inward. I think it looks much better in the original, with the blue right up against the cream. Highlighting it ruins the subtlety and clutters the design.

Your last update is definitely the best yet. The antlers look much better now.

Regarding why they didn't come up with a better solution, if you read the Uniwatch piece posted a couple pages back the designers only had a few weeks, as opposed to the months or years that these type of redesigns typically take. It's really a shame that it had to be so rushed—would have been nice to see the Bucks delay the rollout a year and end up with a better finished product.

Nonetheless, considering the amount of time the designers had this was a pretty impressive redesign.

Regarding why they didn't come up with a better solution, if you read the Uniwatch piece posted a couple pages back the designers only had a few weeks, as opposed to the months or years that these type of redesigns typically take. It's really a shame that it had to be so rushed—would have been nice to see the Bucks delay the rollout a year and end up with a better finished product.

Nonetheless, considering the amount of time the designers had this was a pretty impressive redesign.

Yeah. Except I can't think of why it had to happen. It didn't HAVE to happen. You just wait a year. Or actually you start the process at the same time, take 18 months or whatever and just reveal it spring 2016.

I am totally sympathetic to constraints when it comes to relocation. We all get why the Thunder were in a hurry. Right? And how they got what they got.

This is totally different. And so I choose not to be impressed with the effort. Correction. I am impressed with the effort. But that's not my focus. My focus is on the results and that I now can't wear gear for another 20 years unless it's vintage stuff. And for basically no reason other than some super rich NYers were in a hurry to put their stamp on their new toy and don't give a flip.

Yeah. Except I can't think of why it had to happen. It didn't HAVE to happen. You just wait a year. Or actually you start the process at the same time, take 18 months or whatever and just reveal it spring 2016.

I am totally sympathetic to constraints when it comes to relocation. We all get why the Thunder were in a hurry. Right? And how they got what they got.

This is totally different. And so I choose not to be impressed with the effort. Correction. I am impressed with the effort. But that's not my focus. My focus is on the results and that I now can't wear gear for another 20 years unless it's vintage stuff. And for basically no reason other than some super rich NYers were in a hurry to put their stamp on their new toy and don't give a flip.

I don't think you can blame the designers for the time constraints. According to the Uni Watch article the Bucks had gathered other proposals but weren't happy with them, and ended up connected with D&C really late in the process. So it sounds like the Bucks procrastinated big time.

I don't think you can blame the designers for the time constraints. According to the Uni Watch article the Bucks had gathered other proposals but weren't happy with them, and ended up connected with D&C really late in the process. So it sounds like the Bucks procrastinated big time.

I don't think they procrastinated but they definitely didn't take the time look at other graphic design firms earlier in the process. I think they felt a least one of the first 2 firms would have designed something more to their liking, but that didn't happen.

JeKhnr9.png

Yup. Timeline management's fault.

But I will blame the design team. In that article Meyer mentions the old pig-nosed buck. He goes on to state how hard deer noses are to draw....saying if you're not careful they'll end up looking like a dog, bear, pig or even camel. (I would add cow, llama and many others myself) and he's right. And to be fair to them the green curved trapezoidal shape they arrived at for the nose is pretty great. But then they extend the white area around it all the way up the bridge of the nose like no deer on earth....voila! Sheep/goat/ram-buck is born!

I will hold them accountable for that. Forever. This is unprecedented as far as I'm concerned. If you call your shot?! If you state in print how hard something is and that you will do it anyway? If you do that and fail miserably? That's unforgivable to me. 6 weeks or not.

It's as if the San Jose Sharks publicly said...THIS time we'll draw the stick right at least. For sure. Bank on it!....and then didn't. Again, Boo.

The downside of cream unis is that they'll clash with traditionally white accessories (socks and sneakers). Sure, shoe companies experiment with bolder colorways these days, and players aren't required to wear white or black sneakers the way they were in the past. Still, will shoe companies produce one-off cream "player edition" colorways, or will they just give 'em white or green sneakers and call it a day?

Yeah, the NBA requires the primary home jersey to be predominately white. The Lakers were grandfathered in because at the time of the rule change (1985?) they had the gold home.

Which was bull:censored:, since the Warriors had been wearing yellow at home for longer than the Lakers (only a season longer, but still). Guess Franklin Mieuli didn't have the same pull with the league that Jerry Buss had. Used to be a lot of nice coloured home jerseys in the NBA - at the time of the rule change, more than a quarter of all teams had used coloured homes in the preceeding few years. Glad it's making a comeback of sorts...

I lied. I feel compelled to leave it at a more complete and viable spot. And I think I have now. The state outline I put forth was a revision rather than a reinterpretation. The buck had begun to feel more like a total teardown. So here I'm trying to treat them the same...treat the buck as a revision only.

So here I push the eyes, the neck and a couple other small elements CLOSER toward what the Bucks actually rolled out. My more naturalistic touch wasn't working at all. Again, I don't think they needed demon eyes but since they did it...I did it.

Also took the advice here and tweaked the antlers to try and regain that ball/rim feel.

I gotta tell ya as I finish this up another thing I now cannot understand at all is how they didn't arrive at the solution to make the lower jaw come to a point. It really puts a bow on the hidden "M" to do that.2015_Bucks_Set3_zpsta2mdnrk.jpg

I love what you did! Nice work!

I'm a fan of the new logo myself, but even still...this is the best crack at a Bucks logo I've ever seen. That is very, very well done. Keeps the feel of the (now) old buck head while giving it a much-needed "imposing" feel. Very well rendered too. I'd have been thrilled to see that hit the court.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Alright. This isn't being super well received but I started it....so I'll finish it from my end. Here's where I would have (tried) to take it given the parameters the Bucks gave them. AGAIN...these are not my instincts on what they should have. I like other things...Irish rainbow things...full body things.

BUT...cream city is a strong historical basis for a palette. So......based on what they rolled out...and where I (opinion) think there are flaws both in the contrast and on the illustrative chops......factoring all of that in...this is my go at it.

And please understand I communicate through images . It doesn't mean this has to be it or should be it. I'm trying to discuss via comparing and contrasting of pictures.

@Gothamite for example....hate it or love it....the blue in these antlers reveals dimension. I'm hoping it looks a tad like a rim. If you disagree that's fine. But either way it shows what I meant about all prior antlers and current antlers being in silhouette...which they are. By their renderings you wouldn't know if those nearest tines were actually the furthest away. Right?

OK then......darker green. Blue and cream updates from the interchange. Still has a goofy M in neck, which I don't think was necessary but I put it in as part of the "challenge" I laid out for myself.

And now, at the very least...the three marks relate to one another. The highlights on the deer in blue mimic the blue rivers and lakes on the state logo etc and etc.

Right now there is very little of that continuity from mark to mark OTHER than the comic book M and antler ball seams. So there's some bit of shape continuity in the new set but very little color continuity that connects them.

I've tried to resolve that.

I've also bought in (for the sake of the exercise) to keeping his head (snout) down, eyes angry and ears back ..more geometric shapes in the detail work and the rack is larger. So....although I'm not sure any of those traits are/were necessary...I've tried to mimic them as per the parameters I set.

I don't really need to hear they are great or horrible. I get enough praise and crit from my kids. I'm using these as an attempt to further a discussion about what the Bucks did or didn't do.....as opposed to just saying one likes it or doesn't like it. That's a dead ender. Here's WHY I don't like it.

Thanks for reading and looking.

2015_Bucks_Set_zps0whmkmrs.jpg

While there are certain things I would personally change with your design here, you nailed the snout and eyes, which is something the Bucks cannot say about their new logo.

As a lifelong Bucks fan, I'm going to have a hard time getting used to liking their new logo. The snout looks like it's half dog, half goat, and it doesn't look like a deer at all. In the past I've stated on the boards that I wasn't a fan of how the soon-to-be previous logo used lines rather than shading to form the buck's face, but I did like how it looked exactly like a buck, and had a distinct line around the nose, as all deer have.

On the new logo:

I don't like that the logo is 50% cream and is full of so much empty space.

I don't like the curved lettering that awkwardly sits inside that box which just suddenly ends.

Most of all, I don't like the face. If this thing didn't have antlers, we wouldn't even know that this is a deer, because the snout looks bad.

Yeah, the NBA requires the primary home jersey to be predominately white. The Lakers were grandfathered in because at the time of the rule change (1985?) they had the gold home.

Which was bull:censored:, since the Warriors had been wearing yellow at home for longer than the Lakers (only a season longer, but still). Guess Franklin Mieuli didn't have the same pull with the league that Jerry Buss had. Used to be a lot of nice coloured home jerseys in the NBA - at the time of the rule change, more than a quarter of all teams had used coloured homes in the preceeding few years. Glad it's making a comeback of sorts...

Drives me crazy too, yellow is far too light and totally inappropriate for a road / dark uniforms.

Archived