Milwaukee Bucks Unveil New Logos/Colors, Jerseys & Court

mgdmhl

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green and red are complementary colors. So are blue and orange (Knicks) and purple and yellow (Lakers). They get it.

agreed. i dont really get the red and green hate. those colors work perfectly together.

It's like when people hate red and yellow. They are a solid combo, but they associate it with ketchup/mustard or McDonalds colors and for some reason that makes it bad... Christmas colors is the only real defense for disliking green and red.

I'd love the Irish Rainbow. If they need a second color I'd want red, it's a step up from purple.

Having seen both rainbow unis in the ‘80s in person and up close at the old Mecca Arena, the rainbow with red trim was far more crisp, fun to watch and I knew right away it was the Bucks on TV. Imo, removing the red in ’85 (thanks Herb) dulled the rainbow effect and overall look of the unis, and at times it was hard to tell whether the Bucks or Celtics were playing on an analog TV. Maybe seeing them in motion in HD would change my perception, maybe not.

6f464e55-6abd-4e92-8ed3-55294054cd9a_zps4cb745f0-396d-406b-aa2d-41a0409c5d7a_zps21dbccf3-aad2-4b7e-8950-645ef30f9d11_zps

Call me crazy, but I like the current Bucks colors. That dark red they have is pretty unique among the Big 4 leagues and it goes well with their hunter green.

The Arizona Diamondbacks, Atlanta Falcons, Houston Texans, Minnesota Wild, Montreal Canadiens, New York Giants, San Francisco 49ers and Winnipeg Jets would disagree with you.

B)

Call me crazy, but I like the current Bucks colors. That dark red they have is pretty unique among the Big 4 leagues and it goes well with their hunter green.

The Arizona Diamondbacks, Atlanta Falcons, Houston Texans, Minnesota Wild, Montreal Canadiens, New York Giants, San Francisco 49ers and Winnipeg Jets would disagree with you.

B)

I have no doubt you're accurate, but the 'reds' below look pretty different to me than the Bucks' pinkish-red (except for the Jets). At most, however, there are 9 of the 122 (7%) who use this red in the Big 4 leagues and the Bucks are the only one of them in the NBA.

redscomparison.png

ujsignature.png

B)

I have no doubt you're accurate, but the 'reds' below look pretty different to me than the Bucks' pinkish-red (except for the Jets). At most, however, there are 9 of the 122 (7%) who use this red in the Big 4 leagues and the Bucks are the only one of them in the NBA.

redscomparison.png

What graphics are you comparing? Unless all of the images you're comparing are using current Pantone standards (which I can tell immediately by looking at them that they're not), you're going to get skewed results.

Having seen both rainbow unis in the 80s in person and up close at the old Mecca Arena, the rainbow with red trim was far more crisp, fun to watch and I knew right away it was the Bucks on TV. Imo, removing the red in 85 (thanks Herb) dulled the rainbow effect and overall look of the unis, and at times it was hard to tell whether the Bucks or Celtics were playing on an analog TV. Maybe seeing them in motion in HD would change my perception, maybe not.

I also watched them in both sets, and I have the opposite reaction.

Red is green's complimentary color. It provides the strongest contrast to green, and overwhelms anything else in the scheme.

Without red, the Irish Rainbow effect shines through. The various shades of green have their maximum impact. Add red, even a little, and all of a sudden the red compliments the green and becomes the focal point. The Rainbows become background noise in the red/green uniform mix, muddying the trim and cluttering the uniform. The best thing the Bucks did was removing the red and allowing the shades of green to assume a prominent role.

As for contrast with the Celtics, I think high definition has mooted that issue. I don't have any trouble at all telling the Spurs' and Nets' road uniforms apart on my television.

B)

redscomparison.png

What graphics are you comparing? Unless all of the images you're comparing are using current Pantone standards (which I can tell immediately by looking at them that they're not), you're going to get skewed results.

All of the graphics were pulled from this site. So all 9 teams use identical Pantone colors for their red? Can you do a side-by-side?

ujsignature.png

All of the graphics were pulled from this site. So all 9 teams use identical Pantone colors for their red? Can you do a side-by-side?

Putting together now...

Just as an aside, as much as I love the database, the graphics are hardly infallible. Some are outright inaccurate, the dates on others are wrong, and the colors haven't been corrected to use the same Pantone values.

This is not Chris's fault - many of the issues originate with teams that ought to be better stewards their history - but you should be aware.

Gothamite - Amen. Was about to say the same thing.

(Click on the thumbnail to get a larger version.)

th_MilwaukeeBucks_PMK0100a_2009_SCC_SRGB

th_ArizonaDiamondbacks_PMK0100a_2014_SCC

th_AtlantaFalcons_PMK0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB

th_HoustonTexans_PMK0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB.

th_MinnesotaWild_PMK0100b_2014_SCC_SRGB.

th_MontrealCanadiens_PMK0100a_2013_SCC_S

th_NewYorkGiants_PMK0200a_2013_SCC_SRGB.

th_SanFrancisco49ers_PMK0100a_2012_SCC_S

th_WinnipegJets_PMK0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.p

...and, I'll throw this one out there as well:

th_OttawaREDBLACKS_PMK0100a_2014_SCC_SRG

There are many, many other examples in pro and college using this color...

I would use the colors of the current logo (one shade of green, one shade of silver, and one shade of red) and make silver the secondary color. I would also stress "MILWAUKEE" instead of "BUCKS."

14348719792_7d795bda7c_o.png

If they just phased out red and use silver more then I would be all in! This wordmark on the jerseys would be great!

shado_logo.gif

There's nothing wrong with the Bucks. A lil thing here or there would help improve their overall graphic package. Green and Red work well together. The double/triple green look isn't spectacular; too me it's extremely bland. It seems like this is nothing more than a nostalgia trip.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Archived