Milwaukee Bucks Unveil New Logos/Colors, Jerseys & Court

mgdmhl

I'm pretty sure Adidas makes teams choose one of three NOB fonts now. They're only allowed to choose from a few generic collar designs now, too.

That's been my impression as well. Any idea why they felt the need to specifically release the whole alphabet earlier this year then?

Like a freight train with stickum

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure Adidas makes teams choose one of three NOB fonts now. They're only allowed to choose from a few generic collar designs now, too.

That's been my impression as well. Any idea why they felt the need to specifically release the whole alphabet earlier this year then?
Probably for promotional materials: signage, merchandise, advertising, the website, etc.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

No, it's a WOW uniform.

Come on. YOu know in what context I meant WOW. Super high contrast?, Super high intensity colors?. Colors that beat on each other and pop of the page? If the green is 60% black and the cream is 75% white? It's a cool, easy to look at palette. Of ALL the things I wrote, I didn't mean "aaaaah" as an insult.

Probably for promotional materials: signage, merchandise, advertising, the website, etc.

Yes, again I figured. But most teams don't do this. The Lakers and Packers don't write advertising copy in their official wordmark fonts generally. But even for the teams with more flexible typefaces I don't remember them revealing it quite that way with the logos.

Sterling, you and I will just have to agree to disagree. I think you were looking for something they were never going to deliver, and I think they absolutely nailed it within the context of what they wanted to do.

Ha! More like you and the western hemisphere will have to agree to disagree with me. Listen, you know I respect your opinion a ton and this (to me) is not personal. And you also know I'm not weighing in on this completely unbiased. I'll grant you that much.

But I am really trying to come at this (just the uniform) with a neutral critical eye. I said it's better than both the red or purple eras. That's something ain't it?

If you guys can honestly write that one blue stripe under an armpit is an effective use of an accent color? If that's your 100% objective take? How do I argue with that? Your minds are WAY already made up. Any other uniform release and we would (collectively) not be endorsing that...or the black one..... No flipping way.

This is the Stockholm syndrome of uniform releases. We're taking the side OF our oppressors cause we've been abused for so long and they've finally stopped doing it. Agreeing that it's an upgrade is all I can say. Doesn't mean that automatically every choice they made was good.

I don't think the cream is an effective contrasting light tone when laid next to white. Needs another 20% more richness. What I would have liked to have seen is an extra 18 months of development where maybe (if they insisted on using that cream) they could have lobbied to have it stand in as their vintage white instead. Or....darken it just a sniff. Either way.

Leaving aside all I've written about the goat mascot on the crazy silliness of that font.....you're going to tell me their is AMPLE contrast between the white armpit stripe and the cream one right next to it? As far as your concerned? That there is ample contrast on the home shorts between the negative M cream shape and the white of the shorts? If so then OK.

I think those are objective problems....leaving aside any bias I bring to the table. Objective problems that might be caused specifically by the short turnaround timeline...and problems that would stop me short of declaring it "precisely how a rebrand should be done". That's all.

Sorry for the rain. Resume the parade.

Well I'm off work and have a little more time to put in some thoughts. First of all, this is a great look for Milwaukee. I absolutely love these. They now have one of my favorite looks in the NBA.

The only things I'd have considered tweaking (some of which have been mentioned by others) for these to be perfect:

• I'd have adjusted the order for the colors of the "rainbow" for more balance and symmetry.
  • The blue/black is not tied into anything else in the logos or uniforms. Both colors just kind of seem like an after thought. (I'm actually somewhat okay with this because I love the green/cream so much that minimal blue/black is actually preferred; I'm just not sure why they didn't do away with them altogether.)
  • Which leads me to my next point -- I'd have loved to see a strictly green/cream combination (no white). I'd have used contrasting green/cream on the home/away waistbands. Also, naturally I'm a fan of the idea for having a cream home uniform.
  • I also would have loved to see a script "Bucks" and "Milwaukee" wordmark on the front of the jersey. The chosen word mark and number font are both a little funky (but again I'm actually ok with them). I would have preferred an "arched" wordmark over an "arced" one though. :upside:

In all honesty, I'm so impressed with these uniforms that I feel like I'm being petty by nitpicking the things I've nitpicked.

And I cannot get over how much I love that green. :shocked:

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I'm a big NBA uniform fan and feel these Bucks unis are instantly upper echelon.

So visavis your comprehensive and critical review, which uniforms do you currently see in an unquestionably favorable light?

Won't be an alternate uniform (cream, blue, or black).

https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/607309334322683904

http://www.nba.com/bucks/uniforms

150603-home-jersey.jpg

1. Blue Collar - The inside of the collar features a blue stripe, representative of the blue collar work ethic of not only the Bucks, but also of the city and state that the team proudly represents.

2. M Crest - Detailing on the outside of the collar features the modern “M” that is present in both the primary and secondary logos.

3. Cream City Rainbow - The unique color block pattern on the sides of the jerseys showcases the color palette of the new Bucks and is an homage to the popular “Irish Rainbow” detailing that adorned Bucks uniforms from 1977 through 1993.

4. Fear The Deer - A custom “Fear the Deer” player tag at the bottom of the jerseys serves as a reminder to the players each time they put on their uniforms of the aggressive attitude and team spirit they are expected to carry with them onto the court.

5. Negative Space M - Detailing on the sides of the shorts is designed to create an “M” in the negative space, another subtle carryover from our team marks and a representation of our hometown pride.

150603-away-jersey.jpg

1. Championship Tab - The gold tab on the jerseys commemorates the Bucks’ 1971 World Championship season. Milwaukee is one of only 16 teams to wear the gold championship tab.

2. Milwaukee Roads - For the first time since 1977, the Bucks’ official road uniforms will proudly display “Milwaukee” across the chest, returning the city to its rightful place on the global stage.

3. Custom Font - Word marks and numerals are created from the Bucks new proprietary font that is featured throughout the new logo set.

JeKhnr9.png

I'm a big NBA uniform fan and feel these Bucks unis are instantly upper echelon.

So visavis your comprehensive and critical review, which uniforms do you currently see in an unquestionably favorable light?

Fair questions. I have been popping off on this for weeks and nobody REALLY knows my stance on what "good" is to begin with.

Lemme just say I'm not a fan of Adidas' work in the broader sense....rebrands or the warm-ups....the numbers look heavy the names look cheap.

IN terms of teams that are UNQUESTIONABLY good? Not many due to the reasons I just said and a few others. I like old school looks like BOS, LAL, CHI, POR, SA.....I like returning to classic looks in DET, PHI, WSH, HOU, GS and NYK. I'd say I like or love 85% of the league. But almost all of them have something I'd change too. The Rockets silly wide shoulders for instance. I think it'd be shorter to provide a list of uniform looks that doesn't flip my switch and they are few, but almost all quasi-generic contemporary templates like ATL, SAC, or the MIN....or what the Bucks just dumped.

Again, I feel like certainly I'm inviting some of what I'm getting here. It's deserved and I get it. But this is just OK. Not genre bending. The Bucks are YEARS late to returning to the 70s horiz rainbow stripes down the side panels guys. YEARS late in WI even as Marquette has been there and done that for like a decade. And Denver scooped us on it too at the NBA level. And then when we finally do reclaim it, we blow the change to really accentuate it by staggering the colors to maximize contrast....and we add one blue and one black for S&G.

I'm not crazy here. It's OK. It's not any great shakes.

As someone upthread wrote...they are definitely trying to entice gen X (myself included) by flirting with the rainbow. But they also essentially tried their hand at a super minimalist two-tone Brooklyn take on it too....and that would have been interesting to see. JUST cream and green. Totally would have worked.

And the blue? Come on..>Even Paul L is buying the logo-speak nod to the importance of .....WATER? Show me an industrialized city where water wasn't important and I'll show you.........I dunno. Dallas. Or SLC. Shut up. Whatever. All great cities were built on water cause it's WATER. Lame.

To answer your question.. honestly. I've (always) thought the NBA was a palette league and occasionally I guess a template league. (80s Hawks, 90s Pacers).

The logos just aren't as vital as they are in the NFL or NHL....and the sport in general has way more color than MLB where every road team is grey.

SO........the NBA has always had a soft spot in my heart cause you can have great branding simply by choosing great colors. (simplification).

So by that measure, my own measure, the Bucks have improved their station over last year. I believe I've stated that repeatedly. But in the details? the details sucked a month ago and they still suck. Ridiculous font. Goat-Deer. Weird palette where half the colors are unused.

I'd put them in the top 20 (as oppose to near dead last like the last 7 years.) They will OWN dark green and cream. No competition at all. That's positive too. They'll pass Utah and Toronto and SAC and MIN and ATL (until ATL ditches navy) but there's a LOT of good palettes in the NBA>

so full disclosure I don't think even a return to the irish rainbow was going to make the Bucks IMO suddenly have a top 5 brand or top 10 following. That's just naive. You think I'm being a hater that's fine. Think about what that means in the NBA? The Celtics, Lakers? Bulls, Knicks?

If you think it's a palette league...which I do...then there are some really classic ones ahead of us and they have way more claim to theirs than we do in our new one. That's all I'm saying.

They absolutely nailed this! Beautiful set. Huge upgrade.

I even like the black and blue. It gives it a little something without overwhelming it.

The touches of black and blue are spot on! They compliment the set just right and add a little something extra to a set that's litterally just green and beige. Makes them stand out even more.

All things said....this is one rare occasion where depincting flaws is so damn near impossible that it's final grade is a perfect 10/10!!!!!!

a058ea3f7ddb.jpg

Archived