Milwaukee Bucks Unveil New Logos/Colors, Jerseys & Court

mgdmhl

Is blue an accent or just tacked on?

Seems more the latter in its application so far, to the point that now I'm thinking if they wanted to put two random color stripes at the top of their jerseys, why not use two with historical precedence: mint green and red.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, if you're going to pick apart marketing speak, we'll be here all day. :P

They're BFBS and BFBS. So they can sell merchandise. And while I don't think either needed to be included on the uniform to justify that, if they deemed it necessary this was probably the least objectionable way to do it.

They're BFBS and BFBS. So they can sell merchandise. And while I don't think either needed to be included on the uniform to justify that, if they deemed it necessary this was probably the least objectionable way to do it.

This sounds like bad design to me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well....if this is an accent color, does it constitute the least usage of an accent color (not including crests or anything applied after the fact like numerals) that we've EVER seen before? I don't even view this as BFBS squared because even in the most egregious cases of BFBS (like the previous Mets or Royals etc) it's still applied in kind of a little bit of it everywhere way; needless drop shadows, strokes etc.

So when the defenders argue that the black and the blue restraint are "good" I can defend that position in the sense that yes; at least the Bucks didn't throw blue piping in or black drop shadows. I'll grant you that. Hiding it in the armpit isn't as look destroying as that would have been.

The flip side is also completely true. If you are ONLY going to hide the colors in the armpit then why bother?

If only we could be a fly on the wall during that six weeks or if only dgodz decides to burn all his bridges and spill the beans here for fun.

I get the sense (no evidence) that they are almost putting those in as placeholders. To call "dibs" on those colors for later use. And I don't know enough about NBA uniform rules to dig any deeper in conspiracy theories. But if the colors are "in" your set does that in any way expedite things or allow more flexibility down the road? Are there advantages we aren't considering?

I know the NBA seems the most liberal of the 4 major leagues in terms of allowing numerous holiday alts, regular alts, community outreach alts, vintage alts and so forth. But certainly there are still restrictions, costs and technical and administrative hurdles to clear. Maybe in a way we don't fully grasp laying claim to these two colors greases wheels for something TBD and makes it team prerogative rather than the NBAs or Adidas'?

Just speculating.

BTW - The BlackFBS to me is orders of magnitude more offensive than the BlueFBS in this set. The green is plenty dark enough as it is to function as the dark here. I've argued the blue is too dark (and too underused) to "be" the midtone. And the cream is too light to be the midtone. But of all the colors the green is dark enough to be the dark so......black? The heck?

The Bucks choice of purple in 1993 was shameless pathetic pandering and a true low point for me. Becoming the last? Of seven I think NBA teams to use purple at the peak?....well after that fashion wave had already crested. When we midwesterners chase fads like that it's just embarrassing. IMO that will always be Dunleavy wishing we were the GrandMaMa and Zo Hornets and I still cringe when thinking about it. Thanks Coach. *FUn fact, I once sold Dunleavy a Lakers jersey WHILE he was Bucks HC cause his kid wanted Kobe's autograph I think....what a tool.

So to now chase black? A low we've never stooped to with ANY Milwaukee or WI pro team? While everyone else is finally figuring out how dumb it is and completing the BFBS purge and returning to using actual team colors again? Good grief. Come on. We made it through the gauntlet Milwaukee! The Packers never caved. The Brewers never caved. And now this.......well after anyone thinks it's remotely cool let's add black and get a black alt and be hard. Awesome. Idiots.

Boo. Horrible.

Like a freight train with stickum

I'm not going to nit-pick about the blue, or the black, or the few minor flaws that this set has, because NO jersey can be perfect. As far as the black alternate with the logo on the front, it's just a fad that will soon pass so I can deal with it. I imagine it lasting 2 seasons, and giving way to possibly a cream more traditional alternate.

sig.png

Thumbs down.

Actually the uniforms are not too bad. Green/Tan (or whatever it is) works OK. I can live with the blue nod to water (cuz it's kinda cool on the state logo). The black stripe on the side is awful. They are at least mid-pack in the league. So why thumbs down?

• I prefer the previous set. But look at the message below my avatar; I like Christmas colors in sports.
  • I seem to be in the minority but I think the buck head is a downgrade. And I agree that the "M" at the bottom is forced.
  • These may be the worst NBA jersey wordmarks ever. The letters are too boxy. I particularly dislike it on the road jersey with the smaller letters. I am usually OK with basic (Bulls, Cavs) but this is just too boring for me. A* I t*e o**y o*e that really dislikes this word mark?
  • Just like with the Chargers, they are throwing a bone to throwback lovers but not enough to help. I don't hate the side panels and the overall color scheme works. But as an Irish Rainbow lover, the uniform does nothing to appease me. It simply makes me think of what could have been.

In short, it's not bad but I would rather they not change or re-claim the three-greens look.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

So to now chase black? A low we've never stooped to with ANY Milwaukee or WI pro team?

Ahem?

scott-darling-backinblack-feature-1.jpg

Nope. I didn't forget them. If we want take a break from debating what an accent color is to debate what "For Black's Sake" means that's fine.

I don't pretend to understand what the Admirals did, or what kind of Tim Burton fever dream inspired it. But love it or hate it, they have full committed to it. They've stretched the nickname "Admiral" to it's very limits. But the colors black, white and icy whatever blue are pretty essential to whatever that pirate skeleton is supposed to be and the logo and uniform system built around it.

I think they have owned black as your photo demonstrates..but not for it's own sake. For the sake of marketing a team directly at children in a way usually reserved for MiLB. I don't think that qualifies for the travesty that would have been a black Packers alt or black Brewers alt or WILL be the black Bucks alt. Not IMO.

Not really what you said, but whatever.

And now we have a disagreement about what BFBS means. Okay, then. Personally, I define it as adding black to a color scheme for its marketing potential. Which the Admirals certainly did. Doesn't have to be simply adding it to an existing scheme. But again, whatever.

I think you're coming from such a different place than the Bucks that they couldn't ever satisfy your requirements, because that then wouldn't fulfill what they were looking for.

Ummm. OK. I guess I can see your point there. Would you agree there are maybe degrees of BFBS? And that some are just SO obvious and cynical and while others are less so?

Listen, I'll happily retract my bombastic "Milwaukee never fell for it until now" take.....I withdraw the comment. I grant you the Admirals. But if my inaccurate bombast undermines my point it doesn't negate it.

The black is still totally pointless here. Super cynical. All in an effort for a potential third. Appears nowhere in the logos..right? So tacked on they didn't even come up with ad speak for what it signifies.

As to your other point...you've mentioned that a couple of times now and I won't use the word resent. I don't resent those comments. I.....resemble them? Yes, but no. Look, none of these people work to satisfy any one person anyway unless it's ownership. I don't believe what you're saying is accurate either. We all understand we're unlikely to get everything we want. Some of understand even if we did it might not even be that much better anyhow.

I don't think my standards are THAT high though. You're making my tastes or appetites seem insatiable. Nothing I've pointed out is that. At all. I want a font where one can see the logical relationships between the characters I'm fine with a symmetrical FWD facing deer head. I just would like it to look a little more like a deer, yes. Especially when the artist proclaims in print to know everything that made the previous one NOT look enough like a deer. That kinda raised the bar to be honest.

If I'm too hard to satisfy, have you possibly been a little too quick to sate? Is that even a little possible?

It's too big a discussion to delve into here but I am really frustrated in a macro sense with sports marketing the past 5-10 or so years. I think on SO many fronts we're getting higher quality work than ever. We're also as fans getting our wishes coming true in terms of more types of merchandise, higher quality merchandise, more special versions of uniforms and more awareness that fans really enjoy the kind of co-branded lifestyle aspects of sports. More of "us" are capable and doing better work (on the whole) than probably at any point in the history of this type of design.

But at the same time, the machine we've created forces hurried work...secret work...reactionary work....sloppy work. And I feel like....there's a difference between an issue of taste and issues of competence. Right? Take the Gorton's fisherman Islanders logo for example. So a "bad" release in the mid 90s was likely to be ill-conceived. Sure. Maybe pushing the palette too hard on a fad. Maybe misunderstanding the culture of their particular fanbase. Maybe just ugly as sin. But the artwork was impeccable. It was tight. The font makes me nauseous but it was designed to...sort of. Swings and misses were still high quality swings and misses.

Nowadays? I don't know what specifically the differences are. But we're at a point where this Bucks font is just a joke. None of the "pro" people here have chimed in to defend or rationalize why ONLY the B and the D have 45s on the corners. You get folks saying basically it's good enough. But nobody is stepping up to actually tell me I'm wrong. "Yeah, all good fonts look like that and here's why" etc. We have the Carolina Panthers releasing new artwork where the perspective is objectively and inarguable WRONG. Where the top jaw cannot be to the left of the bottom jaw. And where it looks like the artist who vectored it may have actually got some vertices touching and twisted on the edges. We've got the whiff on the alignment by the new Wizards rondelle. We've got a decent new Jaguars bit of logo art that is actually handled pretty nicely until I'm pretty sure somebody stretched it or skewed it to look "faster". Cause that perspective is all goofy too.

I guess you can accuse of me being officially an old-timer if you want to. Cause I feel like I'm this close to saying "They don't make 'em like they used to" and meaning it.

And we settle for it. We're more happy than sad. More excited than mad. And we buy more gear and speculate about what comes next.

Certainly this is a little bit about my own personal judgments and opinions. But I reject your opinion that I'm being totally unreasonable and would have been unhappy with anything they could have come up with.

I've already demonstrated as much as I could with visuals. Why would I bother if I didn't feel they weren't actually THAT far off? Yes, the inner 12 year old Sterling want irish rainbow. Always will. But forget him.... this cream and green stuff has potential. I could even get onboard with the blue (if it were custom and ours...not OKCs...) A cloudy, mid-tone greyish blue. LIke the Marquette interchange maybe. Or not. Whatever.

Tighten up the deer....just a bit Tighten up the font....just a bit Ummm, alternate the colors on the rainbow so you can actually tell white from cream. Ditch the Looney Tunes M and a stand alone. No M on the collar? Draw WI shaped like WI?

Do those couple things and I think you might really really have something. Still not my dream uni. No. But pretty strong. I refuse to believe that this short list is undoable or too much to ask for. I refuse. I have to Gothamite. If THAT bar is too high then we should all just give up now. Honestly.

Sometimes I go back and reread my comments. I seem like a crazy person. I never edit. So...consider that acknowledged at least. Sorry.

Ummm. I thought of a couple more examples though. Mid 90s Pistons rebrand? Sort of horrible in terms of colors and stuff but holy cow what a great illustration. Super competent. As opposed to say the Buffaslug. It feels like there's a divide happening. And btw...not always even on talent lines. Right? I mean take Fraser for instance. He's a friggin genius. But that doesn't mean I think that OSU Beaver is effective at all. So I feel like its something in the process, something with the inverted relationship with the vendors wherein they're racing to provide these services for free. I dunno. Something ain't right.

So maybe it's me noticing patterns where there are none. That's possible too. And I don't want to believe it's strictly the new blood responsible (Doubleday) ...cause it's not that simple either. A lot of the newer stuff like Charlotte and New Orleans is very tight work.

I'm with you Sterling, you're not crazy. It just seems like more and more logos are released that make you think, "A highly-paid professional did this? I could've done a higher quality piece in half the time." It's not necessarily the idea, but the execution. Like the Bucks logo--fine idea, but if they wanted the logo to look more deer-like, they could've done much better. And then there's the egregiousness of the Wizards logo, the creator of which apparently doesn't know how to use Illustrator.

Now, there are many firms that are doing great work. You mentioned some pro teams, like the Hornets and Pelicans, that have great logo sets. Despite the standard swinging _____ logos, Brandiose does an amazing job in MiLB. Their logos are both creative and well rendered. And a lot of colleges, especially smaller ones, have received some great new identities in recent years as well. But I do agree that in the current digital age of design, these finished products should be much better.

I'll predict these will last the bucks 10 years. By 2025 they'll be doing something new.

That sounds about right.

The Bucks will be wearing green at that point. But green and _________?

POTD (Shared)

Archived