Milwaukee Bucks Unveil New Logos/Colors, Jerseys & Court

mgdmhl

Gothamite - Amen. Was about to say the same thing.

(Click on the thumbnail to get a larger version.)

th_MilwaukeeBucks_PMK0100a_2009_SCC_SRGB

th_ArizonaDiamondbacks_PMK0100a_2014_SCC

th_AtlantaFalcons_PMK0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB

th_HoustonTexans_PMK0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB.

th_MinnesotaWild_PMK0100b_2014_SCC_SRGB.

th_MontrealCanadiens_PMK0100a_2013_SCC_S

th_NewYorkGiants_PMK0200a_2013_SCC_SRGB.

th_SanFrancisco49ers_PMK0100a_2012_SCC_S

th_WinnipegJets_PMK0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.p

...and, I'll throw this one out there as well:

th_OttawaREDBLACKS_PMK0100a_2014_SCC_SRG

There are many, many other examples in pro and college using this color...

Thanks for providing those.

I always find it interesting how colors can look so different depending on the context (if it's touching another color... and if it is, what color... etc.)

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's very true. Our eyes see the totality, which can impact our perception of the individual elements.

(Any excuse to post the Adelson Illusion again)

checkershadow.jpg

Again, that's why I don't think red works with the Irish Rainbows. Being green's complimentary color, it instantly overwhelms the rest of the design.

Red and green are a great color scheme, and I would be happy if the Bucks kept it. But I also like the design flourish of the Rainbow, and if they go that direction the red needs to be dropped.

Having seen both rainbow unis in the 80s in person and up close at the old Mecca Arena, the rainbow with red trim was far more crisp, fun to watch and I knew right away it was the Bucks on TV. Imo, removing the red in 85 (thanks Herb) dulled the rainbow effect and overall look of the unis, and at times it was hard to tell whether the Bucks or Celtics were playing on an analog TV. Maybe seeing them in motion in HD would change my perception, maybe not.

I also watched them in both sets, and I have the opposite reaction.

Red is green's complimentary color. It provides the strongest contrast to green, and overwhelms anything else in the scheme.

Without red, the Irish Rainbow effect shines through. The various shades of green have their maximum impact. Add red, even a little, and all of a sudden the red compliments the green and becomes the focal point. The Rainbows become background noise in the red/green uniform mix, muddying the trim and cluttering the uniform. The best thing the Bucks did was removing the red and allowing the shades of green to assume a prominent role.

As for contrast with the Celtics, I think high definition has mooted that issue. I don't have any trouble at all telling the Spurs' and Nets' road uniforms apart on my television.

I totally agree with this. Without the red the multi-green is seamless and really flows. it's a design element that has a lot going on but it's not conspicuous. Plus, this might just be me, but it just feels better on the eyes. The addition of red is overwhelming and it makes it feel as though the panel design is at odds with the plain front jersey.

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

The term we use for this in my Color Theory course is Simultaneous Contrast...

simultaneous contrast - the tendency of a color to induce its opposite in hue, value and intensity upon an adjacent color and be mutually affected in return <by the law of simultaneous contrast a light, dull red will make an adjacent dark, bright yellow seem darker, brighter and greener; in turn, the former will appear lighter, duller and bluer>

Untitled-2.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the minority but I don't want to see the Irish Rainbows if the Bucks go change. The retro throwback wave is a cop out to me. If you redesign go make something new.

And yes while you may get something like what happened to Tampa Bay I'll take the 10 out of 10 times over the danged Creamsicles because you have a new look that is unique to a new era.

That said the idea of a Hunter Green and Blazer Orange is interesting. Green and Brown is unique but I dunno how you'd pull it off.

Green, Black and Gold (or Orange) though could be nice. Or they can just stay red and green it's a good look already.

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

I'm in the minority but I don't want to see the Irish Rainbows if the Bucks go change. The retro throwback wave is a cop out to me. If you redesign go make something new.

And yes while you may get something like what happened to Tampa Bay I'll take the 10 out of 10 times over the danged Creamsicles because you have a new look that is unique to a new era.

I don't get this at all. I rather see a team look good, even if it means going back to an older look, then looking terrible because the designers handicapped themselves with an arbitrary "can't looks back!" design philosophy.

Why did you bump this thread for this??..could have easily been posted to NBA changes 14-15 thread.

I thought we had new info on color change! Boo you splashboogie!

He didn't bump this thread to be annoying, it was only 10 days since the last post. It's not like it was a 5 year old thread. If you read the OP it asked what people thought would be a good new color scheme and he gave his opinion. And in the OP it said that the color change wouldn't take place for at least a year, so we all knew that it wasn't going to happen going into this next season.

JeKhnr9.png

So this ranking of the greatest Bucks jerseys of all time was posted to the team's website today; and I must say, they nailed it. Their top three would've been my top three in the exact order they placed them in. Between this, the skit they had involving the double green rainbows, and the fact that lime green has been showing up on their website for the past year has me chomping at the bit in thinking they're planning on bringing them back! The #3 jerseys (Kareem/Oscar era Milwaukee script) wouldn't make a bad alternate either.

So this ranking of the greatest Bucks jerseys of all time was posted to the team's website today; and I must say, they nailed it. Their top three would've been my top three in the exact order they placed them in. Between this, the skit they had involving the double green rainbows, and the fact that lime green has been showing up on their website for the past year has me chomping at the bit in thinking they're planning on bringing them back! The #3 jerseys (Kareem/Oscar era Milwaukee script) wouldn't make a bad alternate either.

Excellent!

keanu-reeves-and-alex-winter-in-bill-and

shado_logo.gif

Looking back through that (an enjoyable view by the way), it also looks like the Bucks were one of the first teams if not the first to don the v-neck tops??

Also, something else caught my attention re: the name history...

May 22, 1968, was the day when Milwaukee's second professional basketball team finally got a name - the Milwaukee Bucks. More than 14,000 fans participated in a contest to name the team. Records show that R.D. Trebilcox of Whitefish Bay, Wis., was one of 45 persons who suggested the name 'Bucks.' He saw bucks as being spirited, good jumpers, fast and agile. For his efforts in helping Milwaukee's entry into the professional sports world gain an enduring nickname, Mr. Trebilcox won a new car.

Great fodder for a concept mood board right there...somebody get on that. B)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Oddly enough, I don't think the Bucks have ever worn any of the Irish rainbow stuff when they've had throwback nights.

• 9 months later...

I like that. It would be really cool and unique. Green and orange work really well together, and no other teams in pro sports use it. I still prefer the Irish rainbow scheme, but I'd be cool with this.

Though I hope that the primary jersey will remain green, but that graphic has me in doubts about that.

I like that. It would be really cool and unique. Green and orange work really well together, and no other teams in pro sports use it. I still prefer the Irish rainbow scheme, but I'd be cool with this.

Though I hope that the primary jersey will remain green, but that graphic has me in doubts about that.

I have no doubts in my mind the primary colour will remain green.

Jaguars

Archived