ESPN writer suggests Clippers change name

B-Rich

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seattle Sonics, green and gold

Can this please stop?

yes please stop!!! I'm sick and tired of hearing about Seattle whenever there's new ownership. and expansion is coming there Silver is already talking about it but not anytime soon. and

Besides all the new owners signed a contract which forbid the team to be relocated outside the general area!! that was one of the key agreements and stipulation for the new purchase. (this goes for Milwaukee Sacramento the Clippers,and even Golden State)

aside from that I agree they need to change their logo do something resembling a clipper ship and maybe the colors too but I see the Clippers retaining their name.

shado_logo.gif

They will keep the Clippers for now since I think there is a good chance they will change to the Seattle SuperSonics in 5-10 years. Here is my scenario:

1. Lakers get back to being the Lakers and Los Angeles goes back to not caring about the Clippers

2. Balmer grows tired of the LA scene and the fair weather fans, and longs for Seattle and its fervent fans

3. Balmer and the NBA realize that it would be better to have the Seattle market instead of the Lakers' left over crumbs of an LA market

Mock me if you wish but I don't think my scenario is outlandish. And, if the Clippers somehow succeed, great for everyone down there. I just think the NBA may have told Balmer that he can move to Seattle in 5-10 years IF things aren't going well for the team.

Your team got stolen, so now you want to steal another team while still playing the victim? This vulture-like attitude has made me lose a significant amount of sympathy for Sonics fans, and I hope no more teams have to be "stolen" to fix Sonicsgate.

The NBA created this "vulture-like attitude" by their actions. I hate when teams move but that's the playing field the NBA has created so we have to do what we can. Lie, cheat, steal, whatever. Hansen found out last year honesty gets you nowhere.

They will keep the Clippers for now since I think there is a good chance they will change to the Seattle SuperSonics in 5-10 years. Here is my scenario:

1. Lakers get back to being the Lakers and Los Angeles goes back to not caring about the Clippers

2. Balmer grows tired of the LA scene and the fair weather fans, and longs for Seattle and its fervent fans

3. Balmer and the NBA realize that it would be better to have the Seattle market instead of the Lakers' left over crumbs of an LA market

Mock me if you wish but I don't think my scenario is outlandish. And, if the Clippers somehow succeed, great for everyone down there. I just think the NBA may have told Balmer that he can move to Seattle in 5-10 years IF things aren't going well for the team.

Your team got stolen, so now you want to steal another team while still playing the victim? This vulture-like attitude has made me lose a significant amount of sympathy for Sonics fans, and I hope no more teams have to be "stolen" to fix Sonicsgate.

The NBA created this "vulture-like attitude" by their actions. I hate when teams move but that's the playing field the NBA has created so we have to do what we can. Lie, cheat, steal, whatever. Hansen found out last year honesty gets you nowhere.

Honesty? He started an organization to try to block the building of a new Sacramento arena. Sure he was honest in his motivations, but trying to block the building of a new arena by setting up a "mysterious" organization is somewhat dishonest. You can get your expansion team at some point, just hold your damn horses and try to be the better man (who knows, it just might work). Besides, other posts have mentioned reasons why no team is moving to Seattle anytime soon. Be patient, and don't worry, the "vulture-like attitude" would be in the NBA regardless of Sonicsgate (New Orleans would probably be in the spot Seattle is in now). I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, I'm just trying to show that the Clippers/Bucks/whoever is sold next is probably not leaving for Seattle and their fans should hold off on the constant speculation.

Hansen's problem was that he tried to steal a team from a community that had done exactly what the NBA had asked of it, namely make a deal for a new publicly-funded arena. You know, the thing Seattle singularly failed to do during the Sonics fiasco. The Godfather wasn't exactly amused by the precedent that would set.
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Name change isn't necessary really. I mean if we are able to keep the Lakers, then there should be no problem with keeping the Clippers. However, I do agree with the notion that they need to revamp their whole identity.

Hansen's problem was that he tried to steal a team from a community that had done exactly what the NBA had asked of it, namely make a deal for a new publicly-funded arena. You know, the thing Seattle singularly failed to do during the Sonics fiasco. The Godfather wasn't exactly amused by the precedent that would set.

Not exactly true. He purchased the team before any of that was done. Then, when the NBA "changed the rules" and held up the sale to allow Sacramento to scramble and put together a plan, he was screwed and had to try something to salvage the $30 million+ the NBA cost him. If the NBA would have done the same for Seattle when the sale to Bennett happened, the Sonics would still be in Seattle.

As for the Clippers name, got to keep it the same if they are staying in Los Angeles. It has more history (albeit bad) than many teams in the NBA.

Not exactly true. He purchased the team before any of that was done. Then, when the NBA "changed the rules" and held up the sale to allow Sacramento to scramble and put together a plan, he was screwed and had to try something to salvage the $30 million+ the NBA cost him. If the NBA would have done the same for Seattle when the sale to Bennett happened, the Sonics would still be in Seattle.

As for the Clippers name, got to keep it the same if they are staying in Los Angeles. It has more history (albeit bad) than many teams in the NBA.

I know you only paid attention when it looked like Seattle could vulture the team, but Sacramento had a publicly funded arena deal that was acceptable to the NBA hammered out that the Maloofs torpedoed in 2012. Hansen chose to do business with the Maloofs after that, so Seattle has absolutely no room to talk about how this is but another chapter in David Stern's persecution of the city.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I know you only paid attention when it looked like Seattle could vulture the team, but Sacramento had a publicly funded arena deal that was acceptable to the NBA hammered out that the Maloofs torpedoed in 2012. Hansen chose to do business with the Maloofs after that, so Seattle has absolutely no room to talk about how this is but another chapter in David Stern's persecution of the city.

Regardless the taxpayers of Sac are getting royally screwed by the new arena deal. I know the fans love their kings but diverting funds out of your general fund (to pay the interests on the bonds) to build an arena is insane. And yes it's the general fund as the parking revenue used to be a major revenue source for the gf.

It's unfortunate but stern/silver should have saved Sac from itself and let the move happen. It's going to be subject to decades of financial pain in order to support a for profit sports entity.

Regardless the taxpayers of Sac are getting royally screwed by the new arena deal. I know the fans love their kings but diverting funds out of your general fund (to pay the interests on the bonds) to build an arena is insane. And yes it's the general fund as the parking revenue used to be a major revenue source for the gf.

It's unfortunate but stern/silver should have saved Sac from itself and let the move happen. It's going to be subject to decades of financial pain in order to support a for profit sports entity.

Seattle chose to avoid that pain. That should be remembered whenever we hear the meta-narrative about how the Sonics were "stolen".

Today, we are all otaku.

The arguments against Seattle don't make any sense, imo. To say that Seattle didn't try like Sacramento is a little foolish. If an owner makes comments saying he will a team where they're at while making an outlandish demand for an arena or little attempt to put one in there all the while his people (maybe himself) secretly already had it in mind to move the team. What should have Sonics fans done??? Ballmer and others offered to keep the team in Seattle by buying them back. Bennett refused and Stern let them go. So what could've they done? What happened in Sacramento wasn't that their fans were "more passionate" but the NBA learning from a previous fiasco and allowing them as many as chances as possible to keep their team (really doing whatever they can to not make themselves look like corporate jerks again). At least, Hansen was honest in what he would do after buying the Kings.

Anyway, Clippers shouldn't move. People are too fickle. What if something bad happens to a team every year? Should they constantly change their identity? What the Clippers needed to get rid of, they did. They were the Clippers before Sterling. But if Ballmer moves them to Seattle, I ain't against it.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Once the team went to Bennett it was gone. Seattle had its chances with Howard Schultz and chose not to take them.

Today, we are all otaku.

now as i said earlier i would prefer that the clippers keep the name and change the look but i think the name Breakers could work if the team had to have a new name. its the only one i could think of that's not generic as hell.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

I would love for the Clippers to change their logo and begin a new era. Multiple NBA teams have recently has changed their identities when they want a clean slate. The Pacers revamped their uniforms the year after the Malice in the Palace, the Cavs changed their logo and unis after the LeBron era, the Nets got rid of everything associated with New Jersey when the Barclays Center was being built, and the Wizards changed their identity after the Gilbert Arenas incident.

Now the Wizards one I admit is a stretch, and their revamp probably had nothing to do with Gilbert Arenas. But I would not be shocked if the Clippers revamped everything.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

I would love for the Clippers to change their logo and begin a new era. Multiple NBA teams have recently has changed their identities when they want a clean slate. The Pacers revamped their uniforms the year after the Malice in the Palace, the Cavs changed their logo and unis after the LeBron era...and the Wizards changed their identity after the Gilbert Arenas incident.

All of those uniform changes were already in motion and would have happened anyway, regardless of how things played out.

I firmly believe the Clippers should NOT change names. Although the team has sucked, it has still been a recognizable team name for some time now. Losing it would be just as bad as losing anything else that old. I also don't believe the Clippers should leave the So Cal region.

Now, they DO need to move out of the Staples Center for anyone to take them seriously and not as a sloppy second. Building a new arena in LA is next to impossible. The Honda Center desperately wants one, problem solved. Just figure out some loop hole in the lease. Also, a color change wouldn't be bad either. R,W,B is redundant and annoying. Ironically, old white, brown, and black are familiar colors on a replica clipper ship sitting in people's offices. Now there would be a good diversity story with a unique color scheme.

Archived