B-Rich

ESPN writer suggests Clippers change name

Here's how it should work:

New Orleans takes "Jazz" from Utah (really, have you ever heard of Salt Lake City being famous for jazz?)

Utah takes "Grizzlies" name from Memphis (there's no grizzly bears in the city of Memphis)

Memphis takes "Kings" name from Sacramento (Elvis)

Sacramento takes "Knicks" name from New York (only have to change a few letters on each jersey)

New York takes "Nets" name from Brooklyn (paying homage to the old ABA franchise the New York Nets)

Brooklyn takes "Pelicans" name from New Orleans (hipsters love pelicans)

And that, my friends, is how the Clippers wind up with a new nickname.

iHtzGLHpRvzr4.gif

Read it again, Old School. He's not serious.

Especially obvious when you realize the last line has zero bearing on anything that came before it.

Especially obvious when you realize the last line has zero bearing on anything that came before it.

I figured he was joking but the reality is that I just really wanted to post that gif of Bill Cosby.

Here's how it should work:

New Orleans takes "Jazz" from Utah (really, have you ever heard of Salt Lake City being famous for jazz?)

Utah takes "Grizzlies" name from Memphis (there's no grizzly bears in the city of Memphis)

Memphis takes "Kings" name from Sacramento (Elvis)

Sacramento takes "Knicks" name from New York (only have to change a few letters on each jersey)

New York takes "Nets" name from Brooklyn (paying homage to the old ABA franchise the New York Nets)

Brooklyn takes "Pelicans" name from New Orleans (hipsters love pelicans)

And that, my friends, is how the Clippers wind up with a new nickname.

iHtzGLHpRvzr4.gif

LOL!

I figured he was joking but the reality is that I just really wanted to post that gif of Bill Cosby.

Yeah, well, I'm old enough to remember when that episode first aired.

Moving along . . .

Excuse me if this question seems a bit off topic, but I've been meaning to ask this for a while now (and with all the recent happenings surrounding the Clippers, the timing seems more appropriate):

The Lakers moved to L.A. in 1960 and won 3 championships and 13 conference championships before the Clippers moved to L.A. in the fall of 1984.

Why did the Clippers franchise decide to move from San Diego to Los Angeles??? I mean, the Lakers were in the midst of their Showtime era, wouldn't the Clips want to move to a city where they wouldn't have such incredible competition for attention, fans, money, etc??

Or did they move there because of the popularity the NBA had in that area because of Showtime?

P.S. I'm just 19 years old so I wasn't alive when the Clippers made their move. If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. It's just always puzzled me. And, yes, agreed, that cheap Lakers knock-off logo has GOT to go!

Excuse me if this question seems a bit off topic, but I've been meaning to ask this for a while now (and with all the recent happenings surrounding the Clippers, the timing seems more appropriate):

The Lakers moved to L.A. in 1960 and won 3 championships and 13 conference championships before the Clippers moved to L.A. in the fall of 1984.

Why did the Clippers franchise decide to move from San Diego to Los Angeles??? I mean, the Lakers were in the midst of their Showtime era, wouldn't the Clips want to move to a city where they wouldn't have such incredible competition for attention, fans, money, etc??

Or did they move there because of the popularity the NBA had in that area because of Showtime?

P.S. I'm just 19 years old so I wasn't alive when the Clippers made their move. If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. It's just always puzzled me. And, yes, agreed, that cheap Lakers knock-off logo has GOT to go!

Short answer- Money.

Long Answer- Donald Sterling has been a dirtbag for a LONG time.

Interesting read. Feel free to skip to "The Donald Sterling Era."

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/v55-3/pdf/v55-3degheri.pdf

Short answer- Money.

Long Answer- Donald Sterling has been a dirtbag for a LONG time.

Interesting read. Feel free to skip to "The Donald Sterling Era."

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/v55-3/pdf/v55-3degheri.pdf

An interesting read indeed!

Follow-up question: does anyone know why anyone from L.A. would become a Clippers fan? I mean, they came after the Lakers had already established themselves as a contending team year in and year out and had a great owner in Buss. I can't imagine anyone that would cheer for the new team in town when the team that had been playing there for 24 years had been so successful.

For perspective: There are more people in Greater Los Angeles than in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and British Columbia, combined. That's the kind of market you're trading out of.

Not that it makes a lot of difference to the conversation, but a two minute google search gave me just over 12MM for the los Angeles metro population, and a combined 11.5MM for just BC and Washington state.

I'm not saying it's a smart move to relocate the Clips, but let's not exaggerate the numbers to this degree.

It's late and I'm nitpicking.

18,238,998 for the Los Angeles CSA plus another 3.1 million for San Diego if you want to lump them in since they get Clippers games too. I'd stay.

For perspective: There are more people in Greater Los Angeles than in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and British Columbia, combined. That's the kind of market you're trading out of.

Not that it makes a lot of difference to the conversation, but a two minute google search gave me just over 12MM for the los Angeles metro population, and a combined 11.5MM for just BC and Washington state.

I'm not saying it's a smart move to relocate the Clips, but let's not exaggerate the numbers to this degree.

It's late and I'm nitpicking.

Greater L.A., which was what I was going with, also has San Bernadino, Riverside, and Ventura Counties. That brings the tally up to over 18 million.

Follow-up question: does anyone know why anyone from L.A. would become a Clippers fan? I mean, they came after the Lakers had already established themselves as a contending team year in and year out and had a great owner in Buss. I can't imagine anyone that would cheer for the new team in town when the team that had been playing there for 24 years had been so successful.

Why would anyone from New York be a Mets fan? Used to be that there was a geographical loyalty in Queens and Brooklyn, but that's significantly lessened these days.

Sometimes people don't feel comfortable choosing to support the corporatized overdog. Sometimes they genuinely like a player or players on the less-glamorous team.

18,238,998 for the Los Angeles CSA plus another 3.1 million for San Diego if you want to lump them in since they get Clippers games too. I'd stay.

As a native San Diegan who was crushed when the Clippers moved, I doubt there are many Clippers fans in San Diego. When the Clippers moved the town was transformed overnight from a Laker hating city to a Laker loving city. The "enemy of my enemy is my friend" syndrome.

The California Famous Traveling Super Team

Play home games all across California