ESPN writer suggests Clippers change name

B-Rich

Excuse me if this question seems a bit off topic, but I've been meaning to ask this for a while now (and with all the recent happenings surrounding the Clippers, the timing seems more appropriate):

The Lakers moved to L.A. in 1960 and won 3 championships and 13 conference championships before the Clippers moved to L.A. in the fall of 1984.

Why did the Clippers franchise decide to move from San Diego to Los Angeles??? I mean, the Lakers were in the midst of their Showtime era, wouldn't the Clips want to move to a city where they wouldn't have such incredible competition for attention, fans, money, etc??

Or did they move there because of the popularity the NBA had in that area because of Showtime?

P.S. I'm just 19 years old so I wasn't alive when the Clippers made their move. If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. It's just always puzzled me. And, yes, agreed, that cheap Lakers knock-off logo has GOT to go!

Short answer- Money.

Long Answer- Donald Sterling has been a dirtbag for a LONG time.

Interesting read. Feel free to skip to "The Donald Sterling Era."

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/v55-3/pdf/v55-3degheri.pdf

An interesting read indeed!

Follow-up question: does anyone know why anyone from L.A. would become a Clippers fan? I mean, they came after the Lakers had already established themselves as a contending team year in and year out and had a great owner in Buss. I can't imagine anyone that would cheer for the new team in town when the team that had been playing there for 24 years had been so successful.

I was surprised to see the amount of Clippers gear that I did when I was in LA last summer. I think some folks just like to root for the "other" team in a city, which is probably more popular now given that the Clippers are the better team at this time.

Personally, I like the Clippers name. I like it when they incorporate the naughtical theme into the uniforms.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse me if this question seems a bit off topic, but I've been meaning to ask this for a while now (and with all the recent happenings surrounding the Clippers, the timing seems more appropriate):

The Lakers moved to L.A. in 1960 and won 3 championships and 13 conference championships before the Clippers moved to L.A. in the fall of 1984.

Why did the Clippers franchise decide to move from San Diego to Los Angeles??? I mean, the Lakers were in the midst of their Showtime era, wouldn't the Clips want to move to a city where they wouldn't have such incredible competition for attention, fans, money, etc??

Or did they move there because of the popularity the NBA had in that area because of Showtime?

P.S. I'm just 19 years old so I wasn't alive when the Clippers made their move. If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. It's just always puzzled me. And, yes, agreed, that cheap Lakers knock-off logo has GOT to go!

Short answer- Money.

Long Answer- Donald Sterling has been a dirtbag for a LONG time.

Interesting read. Feel free to skip to "The Donald Sterling Era."

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/v55-3/pdf/v55-3degheri.pdf

An interesting read indeed!

Follow-up question: does anyone know why anyone from L.A. would become a Clippers fan? I mean, they came after the Lakers had already established themselves as a contending team year in and year out and had a great owner in Buss. I can't imagine anyone that would cheer for the new team in town when the team that had been playing there for 24 years had been so successful.

Now that they are exciting, I can see young fans and casual fans now going, but as it was explained by many people i've heard from the area,mostly it was just transplant people watching their team in town for a cheap win. I'm sure there are always outliers, but not many core fans, I presume. Until now.

Archived