FIFA World Cup Redesigns

KubiakDesigns

My last topic, the WHL was a flop, mainly because my hard drive crashed on my laptop and the only way to recover my work was through my old website, which also got deleted when I switched email accounts, and is super pixelated. Stupid mistake on my part.

Since then, I have started doing some soccer concepts. There are two things that bug me about soccer kits. A) Sponsers. B) The lack of white clash kits.

I know that for some squads, it looks better to have a dark clash (e.g. Columbia), but for this series I made it a rule to only have one dark jersey, and the clash must be an inverse of the primary.

As always, I appreciate your criticisms, but I will not make the fixes right away. Instead, I will post what I have done, and then go back and make the suggested fixes.

First up, Brazil.

Kubiak Designs, Buffalo, NY- Est. 2012

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Disregard the emoticon, I intended it to be a capital B with parentheses.)

Brazil:

I broke away from the tradition of yellow and blue in favor of a design based heavily off of the flag.

Brazil.png

I don't know,the yellow and blue are iconic for Brazil. I'd rather see you keep that on the home kit and then go wild on the clash. But the design itself screams "90s" to me....not 2014. Are you using Paint to create these?

gYH2mW9.png

I don't know,the yellow and blue are iconic for Brazil. I'd rather see you keep that on the home kit and then go wild on the clash. But the design itself screams "90s" to me....not 2014. Are you using Paint to create these?

No, Gimp. When I go back through I might tone down the pattern and change the green to yellow.

That looks horrible.

Fantastic feedback. You deserve C+C giver of the year. <_<

Anyhow, I think the concept is a miss.

First and foremost, it is very sloppy looking. Since you are using a paint template (I'm assuming), I'd say either use a paint template, or find a photoshop template if you want to continue using gimp. The number outlines are not the same width, and it looks blurry compared to the diamonds on the side. Speaking of the diamonds, those aren't uniform size or shape, which is extremely important in the style you are going for. I'd go back and really work on the cleanliness, it's extremely important for a strong concept.

Secondly, Brazil has too much history to go with a design like this. As GeauxColonels said, it looks extremely 90's-like, and, in my opinion, looks more like something an African team would've worn during USA '94. Utilizing the flag is an interesting idea for a clash, but I would suggest using it once at most, if you are adamant about using it literally. The amount you used is extremely gaudy. I'd suggest coming up with a more abstract inspiration for the clash than just putting the diamond from the flag onto the jersey.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Do you often make soccer jerseys? Because these are very unrealistic. There is also a reason why white isnt always used. You are only allowed 2 jerseys in International play so if every team had white, there would be more clash and some teams don't have white in their colour scheme. Also, sponsors arent allowed on International jerseys. I can't help but feel the things you hate about soccer jerseys are what makes it a soccer jersey.

Do you often make soccer jerseys? Because these are very unrealistic. There is also a reason why white isnt always used. You are only allowed 2 jerseys in International play so if every team had white, there would be more clash and some teams don't have white in their colour scheme. Also, sponsors arent allowed on International jerseys. I can't help but feel the things you hate about soccer jerseys are what makes it a soccer jersey.

No, this is the first soccer series I've done. And sorry, I should have clarified this earlier but I wasn't specifically referring to international jerseys for the use of white and sponsors. I am using the one white kit rule as a challenge to try and make even a team like Brazil or Columbia or Spain look decent in a white jersey.

There are reasons that a lot of things aren't changed on jerseys in all sports, (tradition, aesthetics, etc.) but then the goal of concept designing would be defeated.

I'm not saying that these are what Brazil SHOULD do, I'm doing a "what would it look like if..."

I really really think that you should follow a more traditional road with this. I know this is just a fantasy idea but I think you would get far better feedback if you thought more realistically. Certain countries lend themselves to a bit more creativity, but Brasil isnt one of them. Even the black 3rd shirt they have this year is a bit 'out there' for some fans, and I've hear that Nike may not even release it for sale. If you DO want to take inspiration from the flag, maybe sublimate the pattern in a few subtle shades of yellow, so over all the kit is still all one colour, but up close you can see the flag pattern.

Nice effort and I can see where you were going, but these are just too mad for words. A white away would be interesting to see but maybe just with some blue detailing, and nothing too outrageous.

Also, and this is just a personal preference for me, maybe use the correct kit supplier for each kit, so in this case Nike. That's just me though, some people dont mind either way...

sigen.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Croatia:

I merged the whole body checkerboard pattern into the blue jersey as a subliminal design and kept almost everything else the same there. For the white clash, I inverted the blue and the white.

Croatia.png

The white kit doesn't work.

Make the whole kit have the red white check board pattern, and make the stripe just blue, with maybe the pattern sublimated on it.

You are also have a lot of these problems still

First and foremost, it is very sloppy looking. Since you are using a paint template (I'm assuming), I'd say either use a paint template, or find a photoshop template if you want to continue using gimp. The number outlines are not the same width, and it looks blurry compared to the diamonds on the side. Speaking of the diamonds, those aren't uniform size or shape, which is extremely important in the style you are going for. I'd go back and really work on the cleanliness, it's extremely important for a strong concept.

(Disregard the emoticon, I intended it to be a capital B with parentheses.)

Brazil:

I broke away from the tradition of yellow and blue in favor of a design based heavily off of the flag.

Brazil.png

No. Never. In any way. Really Never. You must be joking. This is sacrilege, heresy, a monstrosity, an affront to the whole tradition of 100 years of the Brazilian national football team. As a proud brazilian, I refuse to comment on this pile of garbage.

Croatia:

I merged the whole body checkerboard pattern into the blue jersey as a subliminal design and kept almost everything else the same there. For the white clash, I inverted the blue and the white.

Croatia.png

In comparation to other, this is way better. But his idea of abandoning the traditional uniform is still absurd. And the checkers MUST BE red and white.

Was unacceptable you do this with the shirt of Brazil, very unacceptable selection, it is one of our greatest symbols. I would like to print the offending "Uncle Sam" or wipe your ass with the flag of the United States. Pardon if I'm being rude, but just so you realize the level of heresy that you have committed. Innovation yes, mischaracterize, ever.

Some of you act like he's burning a Brazilian flag in front of your very eyes. It's a concept. If he doesn't try anything different, what's the point of this thread or this forum? I personally do not like the concept either. But unless Brazil has already decided to wear these for their next game, you have no reason to be outraged.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Was unacceptable you do this with the shirt of Brazil, very unacceptable selection, it is one of our greatest symbols. I would like to print the offending "Uncle Sam" or wipe your ass with the flag of the United States. Pardon if I'm being rude, but just so you realize the level of heresy that you have committed. Innovation yes, mischaracterize, ever.

I am working on editing it at the moment.

Some of you act like he's burning a Brazilian flag in front of your very eyes. It's a concept. If he doesn't try anything different, what's the point of this thread or this forum? I personally do not like the concept either. But unless Brazil has already decided to wear these for their next game, you have no reason to be outraged.

A majority of members here would be outraged if I post an USA jersey with something related to the Confederate States, maybe something related to Vietnam, or Afghanistan, or Iraq, because these are sensible points in american culture. Soccer is our sensible point, our tradition deserves to be respected. He had C+C and still kept it messed.

Archived