Tampa bay lightning number font

philly97flyer

Snow- mmmm, that looks famliiar.  Hooter Sportswear website, by any chance? ;)

I still say their original 3-D numbers were the Best Ever.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

For Tampa Bay:

1992-93: Original Font (a variation is used by PIT) with a drop shadow

1993-94: Italicized Original

1994-95 - 2000-01: Reporter-Two is the paintbrush font the team used.  

2001-02 - present: Generic Font (a version of original font and badly made)

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of past Tampa Bay Lightning fonts, I just thought I'd share this with my fellow jersey concept creators!

I've been working on the orginal Lightning font.  Since it is a variation of the current Pittsburgh font (as pointed out by Puckguy) it was kind of easy to create.  Now, I admit that it isn't perfect, but it's pretty close.  As for the letters, I'm not 100% on the "J" and "W", but I felt that this was good enough to release.  This is version 1.0 and is tweakable.  Feedback is appreciated!  :)

9293TBLH.jpg

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

wow nice job philly!  im not sure about the J or W, ill look at it through my old hockey cards.  I know the 4 was a bit wider though there was some space between the diagonal line and the vertical part, but im being picky.  sweet!

Thanks Puckguy!  The only member of the Lightning who had a "J" in his last name was goalie Pat Jablonski, and I couldn't find any clear shots of that part of his jersey.  Additionally, they had no players with a "W" or "X" in their names, so those are absolute guesses.

Regarding the "4", I know that one might be a little off.  That and the "7".  I did all of the numbers and letters by tweaking the Penguins numbers (which are courtesy Roger Clemente, of course!) and comparing them to photos in "Lightning Strikes", the yearbook for the 1992/93 Lightning.  Overall, I'm pretty confident in my font set, but there's always room for improvement!

EA's a bit off on a few things.  Like the fact that they've (at least through 2002) used the Coyotes' typeset for the Wild.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

EA is off a lot this year.  These were the things I noticed:

Anaheim - Nike alternate still up.  Not an exact match on the home and road font.

Calgary - Still uses the numbers on their home jerseys from 94-00

Los Angeles - Still had last year's uniforms, despite changing the primary logo in the front end.

Minnesota - Uses Phoenix's lettering

Ottawa - third jersey is the road jersey from 95-99

Pittsburgh - Still has last year's uniforms, despite changing the primary logo in the front end.

San Jose - numerals on the home jersey go into the grey.  Alternate has straight lines, not the V-shaped.  the original road is done in deep pacific teal, not the original pacific teal.

toronto - Still uses Nike numbers despite changing the shoulder patch.

I proabably missed some stuff, but these were ovious miscues.

• 9 years later...

Wow... Well, I'm responding from my iPhone (which I certainly didn't have ten years ago) so I'd have to search a bit for the file when I'm at my computer. And to join in with philly's comment, I've been married and divorced since I posted in here. A lot of life has happened in that span of time!

Where is the download link for the old Tampa Bay font? I see Frylock said this is version 1.0 but I dont see a link for it. I have been looking for this forever! :)

I also have been looking for the original lettering forever. I've been trying to make it but hard to find pics of that style

Wow... Well, I'm responding from my iPhone (which I certainly didn't have ten years ago) so I'd have to search a bit for the file when I'm at my computer. And to join in with philly's comment, I've been married and divorced since I posted in here. A lot of life has happened in that span of time!

I saw this thread and was just pleased to see Frylock posting again...where have you been anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty... Here's the deal: This is a BMP file for use with the templates found over in the template thread, originally designed for use with Roger Clemente's templates. I seriously have not touched this file in eight years. If someone wants to convert it to a TTF file, that would be rockin', just send me a link to DL it!

The link, and the image...

6729097855_5582633e5a_b.jpg

ColorWerx: It's a LOOONG answer as to where I've been and my lack of posting. Not jail! But seriously, I do have several reasons, and if you'd like, feel free to PM me ^_^ And I LOVE the Monkees reference...

Archived