THE worst team ever - as a fan in your lifetime

TrueYankee26

Okay we have the worst days of your life as a sports fan, this time it's for the worst team(s) you've ever cheered for as a sports fan.

*Knicks just this last season.

*David Moyes era in Manchester United. He tried to make us like Everton and succeeded. Also sucks to see rival fans revel in our downfall. :angered:

Aww I'm so sad for you. A team that just barely missed the playoffs and a team that finished 7th in a 20-team league. So sad. Like, I'm literally crying right now for your misfortune as a sports fan. :rolleyes:

As for a productive addition to the thread, here's mine in no particular order...

• 2007 Notre Dame football. 3-9 and that included starting the year 1-9. Getting embarrassed at home by Air Force was one of the most painful things I've ever seen.
  • 2010-11 Cavaliers. Actually started the year 7-9 which was respectable. Finished 19-63, including that 26-game losing streak. Won 4 of the last 6, too, so went 8-52 over a 60 game stretch. Probably the worst team I've ever seen.
  • 2011-12 Blue Jackets. As McCarthy said earlier, this team might be the worst experience due to the expectation of finally doing something—with Jeff Carter, the organization had finally made a move that signaled a serious run at contention. Whoops.
  • 2008 Indians. They might've finished .500 and had the Cy Young winner but this team was miserable to follow. After coming within a game of the World Series the year prior, this team was 37-53 through 90 games. Not to mention trading Sabathia and, yeah, never been the same since. Sigh.

I could say the same thing about Notre Dame the way to said about my Knicks and Man United. :rolleyes: Just sayin'. Hell Notre Dame has won many championships while the Knicks only have 2 chamiponships (none since 1973) and the Nets, none in their NBA tenure, only won ABA championships. Jets have not won a Super Bowl since 68.

Also, nice to conveniently take away the part about the mid to late 2000's Isaiah Thomas-era Knicks and the Jets, buddy!

Anyways, Back to the thread, yall.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1998-99 Clippers are bar none the worst team I've ever watched.

I would also say the '99-2000 team as just as bad. They seem quit on the season even before it started, and maybe if Chris Ford was my coach, I would have quit too. Maybe the worst Clipper game I ever seen was a home game against the Warriors mid-season, and you had guys like Maurice Taylor (my least-favorite Clipper all-time behind Baron and the Kandi-ass) and Derek Anderson out there going through the motions, and played like they couldn't give two :censored:s about anything. The only bright spot was a rookie Lamar Odom...they brought in Corey Maggette, Keyon Dooling, Darius Miles, and Quentin Richardson the following season to go with Odom, and although the 2000-01 team finished at 31-51, at least they were fun to watch.

There's a lot of terrible Clipper teams to pick, but '98-'99 still gets the nod for me because even in a year when almost all the veterans around the league showed up way out-of-shape after the lockout, that team STILL couldn't even crack double-digit wins.

And yes, :censored: Mo Taylor.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2014 Philadelphia Phillies - This team is just unbearable to watch, even before the playoff run, I used to be able to sit and watch the team, the games were at least entertaining early 2000's. This team now, has no life. It's pathetic

This Phillies team reminds of the days of the late 90s teams. Just pathetic.

If we're talking about a straight-up "bad team", that 13-win Hawks team from about 10 years ago would be there. They were awful.

However, I'm taking this "worst team" as the team that fell far short of expectations. The 2013 Falcons came close, but their flaws were being exposed before the season even started...and of course the season came off the rails well before Halloween. Aside from a lousy 4-game stretch where they were getting blown out, they were in every game.

The 2007 Falcons are the worst team I've seen. The buildup was that Vick's skill-set and Petrino's offensive wizardry would make the Falcons' offense unstoppable. Well, Vick's dogfighting case took him off the field, and Petrino flees to Fayetteville after 13 games. Joey Harrington was his self, Byron Leftwich was throwing balls 20 rows up in the stands, and they let Tampa score a touchdown on a kickoff return.

Knicks since 2002 - This franchise has been in a constant state of mediocre to terrible (with the exception of last season). It's like watching a drunk hampster run around in a hamster wheel for over 10 years.

2004 USA Basketball Team - This team was just embarrassing to watch as an American from the bad attitudes, the lack of team cohesiveness (we had Iverson and Stephon Marbury playing on that team), to Larry Brown not knowing how to manage them. Here is an article in GQ that talks about it. (http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/200411/2004-olympic-basketball-dream-team?currentPage=1)

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Okay we have the worst days of your life as a sports fan, this time it's for the worst team(s) you've ever cheered for as a sports fan.

*Knicks just this last season.

*David Moyes era in Manchester United. He tried to make us like Everton and succeeded. Also sucks to see rival fans revel in our downfall. :angered:

Aww I'm so sad for you. A team that just barely missed the playoffs and a team that finished 7th in a 20-team league. So sad. Like, I'm literally crying right now for your misfortune as a sports fan. :rolleyes:

As for a productive addition to the thread, here's mine in no particular order...

• 2007 Notre Dame football. 3-9 and that included starting the year 1-9. Getting embarrassed at home by Air Force was one of the most painful things I've ever seen.
  • 2010-11 Cavaliers. Actually started the year 7-9 which was respectable. Finished 19-63, including that 26-game losing streak. Won 4 of the last 6, too, so went 8-52 over a 60 game stretch. Probably the worst team I've ever seen.
  • 2011-12 Blue Jackets. As McCarthy said earlier, this team might be the worst experience due to the expectation of finally doing somethingwith Jeff Carter, the organization had finally made a move that signaled a serious run at contention. Whoops.
  • 2008 Indians. They might've finished .500 and had the Cy Young winner but this team was miserable to follow. After coming within a game of the World Series the year prior, this team was 37-53 through 90 games. Not to mention trading Sabathia and, yeah, never been the same since. Sigh.
I could say the same thing about Notre Dame the way to said about my Knicks and Man United. :rolleyes: Just sayin'. Hell Notre Dame has won many championships while the Knicks only have 2 chamiponships (none since 1973) and the Nets, none in their NBA tenure, only won ABA championships. Jets have not won a Super Bowl since 68.

Also, nice to conveniently take away the part about the mid to late 2000's Isaiah Thomas-era Knicks and the Jets, buddy!

Anyways, Back to the thread, yall.

I've seen one ND football season in my life I'd take over what United had this season. There's literally been three ND teams worth a damn in my life.

And no, 3-9 ain't the same as finishing 7th and making the Champions League knockouts, sorry.

6fQjS3M.png

I have seen many bad a Cubs teams, the worst was not for the record. It was for the attitude.

The 2004 Chicago Cubs.

They were supposed to come back to he playoffs, but ended up 89-73 in 3rd.

Let's look at what went wrong.

13 ejections by players and coaches, several at Wrigley leading to garbage on the field delaying the game. 2 in back to back days (Dusty Baker on 4/16, Kerry Wood on 4/17),

LaTroy Hawkins as a closer.

Kent Mercker calling the broadcast booth and confronting Caray and Stone, eventually leading to them leaving at the end of the year.

Sosa leaving the clubhouse before the final game.

Craig Brazell...Victor Diaz...the former's only MLB homer that won the game in extra innings, and also killed whatever hope for the playoffs.

That was probably the closest to disowning the team. This was the most hated team I ever saw.

Wizards- 09-10. The team gave up the fifth pick (the worst pick they could've gotten in that lottery, BTW) to rebuild for a deep playoff run. Sporting News had them as the 3rd best team in the league. They started to flail out of the gate. Then Abe Pollin died. Then GunGate. Then Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison were traded. It's quite remarkable in some way that it was only four years ago. Thank you John Wall.

Nationals-2006. The honeymoon was over. The wins and attendance both plummeted. It was also hard to enjoy Alfonso Soriano have a historic season knowing that the chances of him being a Nat the next season were slim.

Redskins-2013. Great expectations and all that. And it wouldn't have been so bad if the team had their first rounder, but the Rams had it so all the losing was for nothing.

Capitals-03-04. From the playoff to one of the biggest fire sales I've even seen from a team. It seems like every other day the Caps were trading a guy away.

Late 90's Canucks but I was too young to remember the horrors of messier and keenan

2013-14 Vancouver Canucks was the biggest joke of a season I've seen since '08. Torts' defensive mindset basically killed our core players for the majority of the season, and the tradings of Luongo AND Schnieder, which I still can't believe actually happened.

2011 Vancouver Whitecaps. Sure it was expansion and all, but holy hell, they couldn't compete for :censored: against a league full of players who still have a part time job outside of soccer.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

1993 Mets 59-103 was the good news

• Mets decide to use an ugly underscore on their perfect script
  • Bobby Bonillia in year two of the Can't take the smile of my face, threatens a reporter in the locker room on camera. "I'm Gonna show you the Bronx"
  • A book entitled the Worst Team Money can Buy about the 1992 fiasco
  • Bobby Bonillia calling up the press box during a game to complain about an error and nearly misses an at bat
  • Vince Coleman throwing an M-180 into a group of autograph seekers
  • Bret Saberhagen going Rambo on the presss with a super soaker loaded with Bleach
  • Dallas Green takes over for Jeff Torborg
  • No Hit
  • Jeff Kent gets the nickname Jeff Kant with his endurring persoanlity rubbing everyone the wrong way
  • Anthony Young's 27 game losing streak'
  • Fran Healy and Tim McCarver announcing every game

2007 Dolphins 1-15 as Patriots go 16-0 in the regular season while at the same time the Mets collapse there was no greater hell ever.

2010/11 Devils always wanted to see John MacLean get a chance to be the head coach, he failed miserablly. They did make a strong run at the end of the year, but in the last 25 years the Devils have largely been very succesful so that was the worst.

2009/10 New Jersey Nets, started 0-18 never got better empty arena at the Izore Center finished 12-70.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

2014 Philadelphia Phillies - This team is just unbearable to watch, even before the playoff run, I used to be able to sit and watch the team, the games were at least entertaining early 2000's. This team now, has no life. It's pathetic

I've seen worse. This is how the Phillies have been my whole life as a fan, with the exception of '93 and the recent run. It's pretty bad though.

To keep with the Philadelphia theme, while it wasn't the worst team by any stretch, I'll say that the '91 Eagles had the worst offense of any team I've ever seen.

-Randall Cunningham gets taken out for the season by Bryce Paup on opening day.

-Jim McMahon gets hurt.

-They sign Pat Ryan literally off of a construction site to start on MNF.

-They start rookie Brad Goeble (?) in a game that they score 13 points - a defensive TD, and two FGs directly off of defensive turnovers. No offense to be found.

-Jeff "son of Jack" Kemp played a valuable role. 'Nuff said.

-Leading rusher had 400 yards... and it's not like they had a good 1-2 punch that year.

That being said, they still won 10 games (though no playoffs), due to having the greatest single-season defense I've ever seen in my lifetime.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This Phillies team reminds of the days of the late 90s teams. Just pathetic.

I was going to post the exact reply. The total lack of interest from the fans (myself included to a certain extent), the sight of Bobby Abreu in spring training sending chills down my spine. It's made even more frustrating because, even though they won in 2008, this team really should have won multiple World Series and could have gone down as one the best teams in baseball history (recent history at least).

I was born in 1987 and got to watch the zombie teams of the 1990's and early 2000's, but at least you knew what you were going to get. Got a taste of the big stage and now it's even more depressing being back in the cellar.

2009/10 New Jersey Nets, started 0-18 never got better empty arena at the Izore Center finished 12-70.

This is it for me.

Brook Lopez

Devin Harris (was injured for the a month)

Courtney Lee

Chris Douglas-Roberts

Yi Jianlian

Trenton Hassell

Josh Boone

Terrence Williams

Jarvis Hayes

Rafer Alston

Keyon Dooling

Bobby Simmons

Eduardo Najera

Kris Humphries

Sean Williams

Tony Battie

Chris Quin

Of the 17 players that suited up for the Nets 4 years ago, only 5 are still in the NBA, and 4 of those 5 guys are bench players. Looking at that roster in hindsight, it's pretty incredible that they even broke 10 wins.

2008 0-12 Washington Huskies under Paint Dry Ty. That was painful. And it always comes up when beating Wazzu in the Apple Cup. "So you won? At least we never went 0-12."

The fact that 2008 Washington State was arguably a worse team than 2008 Washington, and won the Apple Cup anyway, probably helps/hurts as well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The 2010-2011 Calgary Hitmen. Those who follow the CHL know that most teams exist in a cycle, due to players leaving. They'll be good for a couple years and then suck for a couple years, which is why I have backstory here.

In 08-09 the Hitmen had 122 points, first in the WHL and the CHL, with a record of 59-9-4. They swept the first three rounds of the playoffs but lost the first three games of the WHL final and eventually lost in 6. That loss sucked as it was the best season in Hitmen history and they were ranked near the top of the CHL for most of the season.

In 09-10 they had 107 points, first in the WHL, with a record of 52-17-3. That year they won the WHL championship and lost in the Memorial Cup semis.

In 10-11 they had 45 points, last in the WHL, with a record of 20-47-5. This team was bad. They had lost some good players from the previous two seasons and they sucked. They went from first to worst just like that.

After that season, they've finished third in the Eastern conference and made the playoffs every year since, so that year was some sort of anomaly.

IEI5Tg1.png

Archived